For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Harris makes presence known

By Bob LeGere | Daily Herald Columnist
Published: 11/25/2008 12:02 AM

Hey, look, it's Tommie Harris.

He was invisible for most of the first half of the season, but the Bears' three-time Pro Bowl tackle seems to have regained his all-star form. Harris had 2 sacks Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, matching his total from the first 10 games and giving him 4 in the last five games.

Harris' rejuvenation started shortly after he was suspended for the Oct. 5 game at Detroit because of repeated tardiness, and his teammates have noticed the improvement in his game. Harris still is limited at practice during the week by lingering knee problems, but he's been making a difference on Sundays.

"(Opponents) have to start looking at him. They have to make sure they block this guy," defensive end Alex Brown said. "He's one of the best, if not the best, 3-technique (tackle) in the league, and when he's healthy and when he's playing at his top level, there's nobody better. (Even) when he's playing at 90 percent, you have to double-team him. If you single block him, he's going to beat that guy every time. When they start double-teaming him, it leaves myself, Wale (Ogunleye), Israel Idonije and Dusty Dvoracek with 1-on-1s, and we've got to take advantage of it."

Brown had a sack and 2 quarterback hurries Sunday, and Ogunleye had 2 sacks and 3 quarterback hurries.

"Since he's gotten back from suspension, he's been a different person," Ogunleye said. "He's been very active. He's causing a lot of havoc in the backfield. We're going to do better because now the focus is going to move back to Tommie, rightfully so, and me and Alex and the guys on the edge should have a lot more fun."

Injury update: The medical news seemed optimistic Monday for safety Mike Brown and tight end Desmond Clark, although cornerback Nate Vasher's thumb injury could be more serious.

"Dez Clark has a mild knee sprain," coach Lovie Smith said. "He should be OK. Mike Brown has a lower-leg injury. He should be all right. And Nathan Vasher has a hand injury. We're evaluating him more."

Brown walked out of the locker room Sunday without a limp, but Vasher might have aggravated the injury that caused him to miss three games in October and required surgery.

In the past: The first lost fumble of his career didn't keep Matt Forte from a career-best 132-yard rushing day against the Rams.

"It makes you mad at first," Forte said. "(Running backs) Coach (Tim) Spencer came up to me and said, 'Forget about it, you've got to go back out there and play.' I just put it behind me."

On his second carry after the fumble, Forte went 47 yards for a touchdown.

Coming and going: Guard Terrence Metcalf was activated to the 53-man roster Monday, replacing linebacker Darrell McClover, who was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

Fullback Jason Davis was signed to the practice squad, and the practice squad contract of fullback Jed Collins was terminated. Metcalf was given a roster exemption last week after returning from a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on steroids and related substances.
G08
Hall of Famer

Good for Tommie... as much of a douche as I think he has been, it's good to see him returning to form. I forget who/where I read it but someone had mentioned that his biggest problem right now was conditioning. He's been rehabbing and missing so much practice that he hasn't been able to get himself into top shape for enduring a full NFL season. Maybe he's getting back into shape or who knows, but good for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
UOK
Site Admin

He's been looking a lot more spry, but I still the guy is a piece of crap. Why?

Because he can't take criticism.

Because he got paid 60 large
G08
Hall of Famer

He just comes off as a whiner. In fact, I can say the same thing about Urlacher.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bad Flanders
MVP

I think you guys are missing the most important part of this here article.....THEY FIRED JED!!!!!!!!!!!

Whose gonna cook up the opossum for the get together at the teams C-ment pond now??????

This is the last straw for Angelo!
gaba
Head Coach

I'll do it. But... I've never cooked possum before. Can't be too much different from squirrel though. Eh... when in doubt, make chili. Rattlesnake chili sounds awesome, but it doesn't hold a candle to turtle chili. Possum chili could be good.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!