For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Indications remain new deal for Smith imminent
No snags evident in Bears' desire to extend coach's contract

By Brad Biggs, Tribune Reporter
7:11 PM CST, February 24, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS — While perhaps working on the final stages of a contract for Bears coach Lovie Smith, agent Frank Bauer was playing hard to get Thursday at the NFL scouting combine.

"How'd you find me?" Bauer greeted a reporter when reached, leaving the impression he wants to remain out of sight until a deal is reached. He politely declined further comment.

General manager Jerry Angelo announced Jan. 24 the team planned to extend Smith, whose deal runs through the 2011 season. A month has passed and now the NFL is a week away from a potential lockout. Indications are a deal could materialize for Smith before the end of the league year March 3.

The coach stood in the lobby of the team hotel here all smiles. When asked if he had good news, he declined to discuss his situation.

"I've had a contract every year I've been here with the Bears," Smith said, repeating a line he has used.

But a team source said "we're moving in the right direction" on an extension and another source said word is a contract is imminent. It's worth wondering if the Bears need to get a deal done before a possible work stoppage.

Could an NFL team sign a coach to a multi-million dollar extension in the midst of a lockout when it is telling the players and public that it's not making enough money? Or would the Bears explain a deal needed to be done because he still is carrying out his duties, such as helping prepare for the April draft?

Smith and Angelo will have news conferences Friday when more answers could come, but from the sounds of things an agreement isn't far off. It certainly hasn't reached a contentious point like it did here in 2007 when the Bears dragged their feet on an extension.

Smith isn't the only head coach looking for a new deal. Tom Coughlin, who the Giants hired in 2004 at the same time the Bears picked Smith, also is expected to receive an extension. Giants President John Mara told reporters he expects it to happen "sooner than later," so another old-school franchise with family ownership is in the process of re-signing its coach.

Big talk: Jets coach Rex Ryan threw out a guarantee that his team would win Super Bowl XLVI next year at Lucas Oil Stadium, but he wasn't the only man with bold words. Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi, a four-year starter for the Badgers who replaced perennial Pro Bowler Joe Thomas, declared himself the best tackle in the draft.

"I'm completely confident in my game," Carimi said. "I know I'm the best tackle out there. I just have to play like it and act like it. I know I can play right away. That's my best asset. I'm a draft-ready tackle. I have a better resume of going against better talent than anyone else. I'm (also) physically stronger and have more career starts and better knowledge of the game than any other tackle out there."

Some have suggested he could be moved inside to guard. He could be off the board before the Bears select No. 29 in the first round.

Extra points: A little more than a week after extensions for a handful of Bears assistant coaches, including offensive line coach Mike Tice, one league source had something interesting to share. Per the source, the Titans planned to hire Tice as their offensive coordinator if he would have been granted permission to interview. … Linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer spent two days in Washington earlier in the week attending contract negotiations with a federal mediator between the owners and players. "I really can't say anything at all," he said. Hillenmeyer is here sitting in on the NFL's Competition Committee meeting and he also is attending a player safety and welfare meeting that has a concussion focus.