For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Knox prepares for lockout with endorsement deal
Bears receiver also plans workouts if there is work stoppage

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune Reporter
6:04 PM CST, March 10, 2011

Johnny Knox emerges from a dressing room wearing a skin-tight, long-sleeved blue workout shirt and white football pants. A powder blue No. 13 jersey hangs on a nearby rack as the Bears receiver gets another touch or two of "war paint'' applied under his eyes. (That sounds a little more masculine than the truth, which is that he's getting his makeup done.)

With football in hand, Knox steps underneath the bright lights as photographers set up their shots. One could say he was all dressed up with nowhere to go, considering the current climate of the NFL negotiations. But his appearance at this third floor South Loop condo actually represents Knox's first step toward a little added financial security in the event of a lockout.

"I really don't know too much about all the circumstance but when I go to (players reps) Robbie (Gould) and Rashied (Davis) to ask questions, they've told me prepare as if there's going to be a lockout and take care of your money,'' Knox says. "Since then, my marketing agent, Bill Horn, he's been putting things together for me trying to find better opportunities just in case.''

This particular opportunity, the first endorsement deal of Knox's young career, entails promoting Avitae, a new brand of energy drink.

Knox received a four-figure signing bonus as part of the marketing deal, a nice chunk of change for Knox, who is due to make a $480,000 base salary in 2011.

But the down-to-earth Knox fully understands he can't bank on being the poster boy for the next great product, so his main objective during a work stoppage won't be lining up his next appearance. His focus is on perfecting his craft.

And doing so could lead to his next big payday.

Knox says he intends to seek out quarterback Jay Cutler for workouts if there is a lockout. And even if the two fail to connect, it won't deter Knox.

"As far as route running, you can do those things on your own,'' he explains. "You really don't necessarily need somebody throwing to you.''

Knox already got a head start, working out at EFT Sports Performance in Highland Park, the same facility where free agent receiver Eric Peterman, former Bear Brandon McGowan, and New York Giants tackle and Illinois product Dave Diehl have frequented this offseason.

"As far as getting in shape, I feel like I prepare myself for that before season,'' Knox says. "But I really don't feel like I really get to shape until I get to camp. … It's a different pace for you as far as getting that timing and running routes back to back. Going 30 plays in a row … that's when I really get in shape.''

Bears receivers coach Darryl Drake has encouraged the 6-foot, 185-pound Knox to bulk up and get stronger in preparation for the start of next season, whenever that may be. And Drake might nudge Knox a little about dissecting film and pinpointing aspects in need of improvement.

Knox led the Bears with 960 receiving yards this past season on 51 catches and had five touchdowns, but he was far from flawless. Some tend to forget the speedster from Division II Abilene Christian just completed his second year in the league and has been a full-time starter for just 16 games.

"With Johnny, it's just understanding the game more and understanding how to use his speed to the best of his ability,'' Drake says. "Get his game to the point where if people press him, they have to have an awareness that if they take one bad step, it's over.''

The Bears seem confident in their receivers moving forward, and Knox is a big part of the equation. As a deep downfield threat, he always is capable of giving the offense that much-needed jolt — similar to the effect the product Knox is promoting promises.

"I'm kind of excited about this drink,'' Knox says with a smile. "I hope it jumps out at the world.''

Why not? No one had expected Knox to burst onto the scene the way he did.

vxmcclure@tribune.com