Pompei: Bears, Smith totally against kickoff rules change

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

NEW ORLEANS -- Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith made it clear he is against the kickoff rules-change proposal that NFL owners will vote on Tuesday.

"I can't believe we're even talking about that," Smith said Tuesday during a breakfast with the media at the NFL meetings. "It's the most exciting play in the game. We're totally against the rule. We don't even get into the conversation. How do we get to this point?"
Smith indicated he could be swayed if the league makes an amendment to the proposal that would eliminate the two-man wedge and force kickoff coverage members to line up five yards behind the kickoff. What he's not OK with is having the kickoff moved up to the 35-yard line.

"I know we're talking about players' safety, but I don't know that it's making it safer," he said. "You can say that about every pass play."

Smith said over the last two years, the Bears have had only one injury on kickoff returns and kickoff coverage: a sprained ankle.

Among other highlights of Smith's talk:

*He expressed confidence in Caleb Hanie's ability to be the team's primary backup quarterback, saying the team "really likes" Hanie, but did not rule out the possibility of adding a veteran quarterback.

*He indicated he has a picture of how he would like the offensive line to set up, but declined to share it. He did say he thinks J'Marcus Webb has the ability to play left tackle.

*He is very excited about Henry Melton's potential, and said he thinks "the sky is the limit" for him playing the defensive tackle position.

*He said the team still needs another defensive lineman.