Biggs: Rex plays No. 2 role like a pro

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Rex plays No. 2 role like a pro

November 3, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Kyle Orton became the first Bears quarterback to rush for a touchdown since Rex Grossman did it four seasons ago on a play that blew out his knee.

That didn't do Orton in Sunday against the Detroit Lions, but a tangled mess of defensive linemen Cory Redding and Dewayne White did as Orton was lost for the game and perhaps longer with a right ankle injury. He was carted off the field late in the second quarter and wore a walking boot after the game.

It's not believed Orton suffered a fracture, but a sprain could sideline him for several weeks.

Rex Grossman, the loser of the four-month quarterback derby, was treated coolly by the Soldier Field crowd but threw a six-yard touchdown pass to Rashied Davis and then scored the game-winner on a one-yard sneak, following it with an emphatic spike.

''You always want to play,'' Grossman said. ''But never under those circumstances.''

The former first-round pick has drawn high marks for how he has gone about his business since losing the starting job. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner, sensing the Lions were getting gassed, went to the no-huddle in the fourth quarter, and Grossman ran it without a hitch.

''Kyle has been our driving force, but if he does have to miss some time I don't think there is any fear of a dropoff,'' tight end Desmond Clark said. ''You just have to look back a couple years ago -- Rex took us to a Super Bowl and you can't forget about that. I don't think there will be any lack of confidence on the offense's part when he gets in. We got a good feeling today.''

Grossman says a week of preparation will help iron out the kinks.

''The last couple months have been tough,'' he said. ''But when you have a role and your number is called to fulfill that role. ... As frustrating as it was to not be the guy to start off, you have a different role. And in that role I came in and did the job.

''I never figured that I wouldn't play at all. Odds are two quarterbacks are going to play some, especially here in Chicago.''

If Grossman starts Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, it will mark the Bears' 34th change at the position in 148 regular-season games. That's about one per month.