Pompei's Mailbag

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Chicagotribune.com

Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag

The Bears columnist answers your questions on Unga's whereabouts, Davis' speed and Cutler's attitude.

By Dan Pompei, Tribune reporter

11:25 PM CDT, August 10, 2011

advertisement

Why didn't the Bears do more to improve the O-line? Other than drafting Gabe Carimi, and picking up Chris Spencer to replace Olin Kreutz, it's the same unit, no? Any chance of picking up some additional veteran help like Flozell Adams? -- Jamie, Iowa City, IA

I think the Bears are done adding offensive linemen, barring injury or something else unusual They did bring in two players who should at some point be starters, or 40 percent of the line. There is only so much you can do in one offseason. The team is committed to developing three young blockers -- J'Marcus Webb, Lance Louis and Carimi. The only way to develop them is to get them on the field. The Bears never were very interested in adding a veteran tackle. They like Frank Omiyale as their third. If they were going to add another, it would have been a guard which could have been bad news for Chris Williams.

In all the discussions about replacing the grass at Soldier Field, I never hear a field of DD Grassmaster discussed. That is the hybrid field used in Green Bay and other northern climates around the world. What is your view of this surface? -- Ike, Manalapan, N.J.

It's the best surface out there for football in a northern climate. The problem is it doesn't hold up well in multiple use facilities. It's fine for Lambeau Field, which only stages 10 events a year (this year it was 11 with a June concert), but it wouldn't be fine for Soldier Field, which might stage more than twice as many events.

Do Denver newspapers deserve some of the blame for creating Jay Cutler's bad reputation with the media? After all, they're trying to turn the saintly Tim Tebow into the devil just because he wants to start for a really bad football team. If the Godly Tebow can't deal with them, then a guy like Cutler certainly didn't have a prayer. -- Chris, Nashville

I'm not sure what happened with the Denver media and Cutler, but based on seeing how he has acted in Chicago I am reasonably certain he is entirely responsible for his own reputation. However you define that reputation, he has earned it.

What is it about Marcus Harrison that the Bears feel the need to keep him around? Most organizations wouldn't have the patience or tolerance for this level of disrespect and disregard for his profession. He may be a great guy, and may have this great upside we aren't seeing, but this is either the second or third year in a row he has had to miss much needed practice time in the name of losing weight. Isn't it time the Bears cut the fat? -- John McPherson, Champaign

I think Harrison is going to have a difficult time making the 53 man roster, barring injuries. But he's a talented player. Cutting him at the beginning of August doesn't make as much sense as cutting him at the beginning of September.

Like Greg Olsen, Matt Spaeth won the Mackey award as the top TE in college. Comparing Matt's college receiving to Greg Olsen, their production was very similar. I don't think Matt can be nearly the same downfield threat, but don't you think the Bears could still use him as a receiver in the middle of the field. -- Terry Wassell, Steger

The Bears will use Spaeth as a receiver in the middle of the field. But he will not run past linebackers and safeties the way Olsen did. He also will not force defenses to adjust their game plans, and he will not create matchup problems. He is a completely different animal, despite what their college production might say.

I continue to unravel the mystery of why Greg Olsen was traded from the Bears -- and if Kellen Davis will be able to capitalize on his chance to shine. Brad Biggs quotes Mike Martz on Aug 3: "...Kellen can flat run. If you've been at practice, you've seen it. He can run and catch." But then your story on Aug 3 says: "...Davis doesn't have much speed or the ability to run great routes." So which way is it for Davis? Can the guy run? How fast? -- Jim Bassuk, Seattle

Speed is relative, Jim. Next to Olsen, Davis is not very fast. Next to J'Marcus Webb, he's greased lightning. Considering Davis is 6-7, 262 pounds, he has decent speed. At the 2008 combine, he ran a 4.59 40, which isn't bad. I have not seen him play that fast though. Part of that may be because he hasn't had many chances. I'm looking forward to seeing him have some opportunities to run the seam when he's all padded up in live action.

With the addition of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Eagles' roster, I think Asante Samuel will be the odd man out. Do you think the Bears should trade for him? Samuel and Peanut Tillman sounds nice, plus he can take over for Peanut when he retires. -- Keith A., Hampton, VA

I don't think Samuel is the type of cornerback who would appeal to coach Lovie Smith. He's a great ballhawk, but he is a notorious poor tackler. Smith has no tolerance for corners who don't tackle. Plus, Samuel is 30 years old. If the Bears are going to pick up a cornerback, they should pick up a young one.

What has become of Harvey Unga? We spent a draft pick on him last year in the supplemental draft and then red-shirted him. Shouldn't he be in the mix for this year? Aren't the Bears a little heavy at RB with Matt Forte, Marion Barber, Chester Taylor, Kahlil Bell and Unga? No one, in any article mentions Unga. Does he still exist? -- Rick Reuland, Naperville

Unga still does exist on the Bears roster. You should see a good deal of him in the preseason. Unga is not going to make the Bears as a tailback. If he sticks, it's going to be as a fullback.

In your article about Richard Dent's hall of fame attendees, you mentioned Neal Anderson. I think he's one of the most under-appreciated Bears in recent memory as he was a phenomenal running back and quite popular as I recall. Whatever happened to Neal? How come we never hear about him in Chicago? -- John McCain, Chicago

I caught up with Anderson at Dent's post-enshrinement party. It was the first time I have seen him in years. He still looks like he could play, and hardly has aged. Since retiring, Anderson moved to Florida and has shunned the spotlight. He told me he spends his time in the peanut farming and banking businesses, and also is involved with the athletic career of his son, who is an outstanding football player you likely will be hearing about in the near future.

dpompei@tribune.com

Twitter@danpompei

I usually really - really like Dan, but am I the only one that came away from this thinking he had more of a Bromance with Olsen then Jay did?