Haugh still get's paid to write? (Martz vs. Hanie)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I had forgotten about his lame azz, but he' back to remind us why we don't see more of him....

chicagotribune.com

Why is Martz playing head games with Hanie?

Bears offensive coordinator could ruin backup QB with destructive criticism

David Haugh's In the Wake of the News

August 18, 2011

advertisement

BOURBONNAIS — Almost singlehandedly, Mike Martz has all but stopped Caleb "Hania" from spreading throughout Kankakee County this summer.

It seems the Bears offensive coordinator has spent more time in the backup quarterback's head this month than his own dorm room. As a result, Hanie's confidence evacuated. His consistency scattered.

Suddenly the Bears have to be careful handling Hanie, who finds his career at a crossroads out here in corn country.

"I haven't played as well as I wanted, especially (Saturday),'' Hanie admitted Wednesday.

So began the preseason's most ridiculous and avoidable controversy when Hanie didn't exactly look like a million bucks — or the $1.2 million for which the Bears signed him. He struggled, only flashing hints of the play-making ability that made him notable in the NFC Championship game.

But if the first exhibition game means so little, why did Martz make Hanie watch fifth-round rookie Nathan Enderle replace him as the No. 2 quarterback the next practice? Why create a problem with a guy who clearly must be part of the solution?

Martz's reaction to his first game visibly upset Hanie. Bears fans should be even more perturbed.

This is how you stunt the growth of a promising young quarterback, how you kill confident Caleb. This is when you are supposed to build Hanie up rather than tear him down, one subtle, psychological move at a time.

Not that Martz acknowledged giving Hanie something to think about when I asked him if the one-day demotion was related to subpar play. A year later, Martz still talks to us like we're 3rd-graders.

"He struggled a little bit and whenever a quarterback does that you try to give them a day to just kind of 'Whew,' and sit back and regroup,'' Martz said.

Whew, indeed. All giving Hanie time to clear his head really accomplished was letting doubt creep in.

"My confidence is fine,'' Hanie said. "(But) that's the issue I have to get through, not second-guessing my talent. They have been coaching a long time. Right now I'm just trusting what they're doing.''

I'm not.

Anybody who thinks the Bears' backup quarterback doesn't matter because of Jay Cutler's durability either spent last season in Siberia or had dinner plans last Saturday night.

The Bears under coach Lovie Smith regularly prop up players before they earn the benefit of the doubt. On Jan. 23, Hanie earned the benefit of the doubt. Yet he is one of the few Bears this preseason being served a glass that's half-empty.

Like most young quarterbacks, Hanie has flaws. He needs to economize his body movement when setting his feet and learn how to use his vision more effectively. He has to unload the ball quicker. He is far from beyond criticism.

But Hanie possesses a knack for making plays, a quality that turned him into Mr. August every training camp before this one. Those traits resurfaced Wednesday in a solid practice, the same instincts that carried Hanie in a playoff performance that apparently impressed everybody in Chicago but Martz.

When the Bears drafted Enderle, Martz immediately announced he would compete for the backup quarterback position. Based on what?

I was among those last August urging the Bears to sign an experienced veteran. A year later, I believe Hanie's big-game experience proved the Bears can trust him more than they appear willing.

You can understand the skepticism surrounding Martz's judgment of backup quarterbacks. Nobody ever will know how different things might have gone against the Packers if Martz had gone to Hanie first instead of designated backup Todd Collins.

For reasons hard to fathom the Bears have let Martz have as much input with the roster as he does game plans. A draft pick was spent on Enderle, who Martz scouted. Why was tight end Greg Olsen traded? He didn't fit Martz's offense. What made tight end Matt Spaeth more attractive and wide receiver Roy Williams an instant starter over Johnny Knox? They did.

When Martz joined the Bears, did he replace former personnel director Bobby DePaul or offensive coordinator Ron Turner?

Martz inherited Hanie but he has to stop inhibiting him. Keep doubting a quarterback and eventually his tentative play will prove a coach right. But throw support behind a guy through adversity and often that faith is rewarded.

The Bears have bigger problems but a choice to make concerning Hanie. Unless Martz already has made up his mind.

dhaugh@tribune.com

Twitter @DavidHaugh