For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears' receiver corps struggling
Once considered promising group, Bears' receiver corps struggling

December 4, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Three months ago, it looked like Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd had a budding relationship capable of taking the Bears' passing game to the next level.

Four months ago, Devin Hester was hailed as a potential No. 1 wide receiver after receiving a $40 million contract extension. Rashied Davis, Marty Booker and rookie third-round pick Earl Bennett were considered solid pieces for an offense on the move. Those were the assertions, anyway, after Bernard Berrian was regarded as too expensive and Muhsin Muhammad as expendable.

Now the Bears have a collective mess on their hands at wide receiver, with none of them able to work off a jam at the line of scrimmage, the fashionable way to defend them these days. As if the troubled defense doesn't have enough to worry about, now comes the realization that this team can't play from behind against any team remaining on its schedule if the passing game doesn't turn around.

Lloyd's five games on the shelf with a knee injury have made him seem like another out-of-place receiver on a team lacking a No. 1 receiver -- and for that matter a true No. 2. It's no wonder the Bears say they don't worry about such distinctions.

In Lloyd's three games since returning, he has made one nice play, a 24-yard grab on third-and-15 at Minnesota. He was open deep on the ball strong safety Darren Sharper picked off, and Orton underthrew him. Overall, the timing has been lost since Orton sat out the Tennessee game Nov. 9 with a right ankle injury.

''They've been aggressive with us, there's no question about it, and it's a little different,'' said Orton, who has a 61.2 passer rating in the last three games. ''It takes off your timing a little bit, but in the end it's about making plays, and we've had opportunities to do it.''

The only big play the passing game has had in the last three games -- Hester's 65-yard touchdown reception at Minnesota -- came on a quick slant in which he eluded cornerback Cedric Griffin and caught Sharper out of position. Davis had a 36-yard catch at Green Bay, but it came in garbage time.

The wideouts aren't making plays, and perhaps Muhammad was correct when he said Chicago is the place receivers go to die.

''We haven't been in sync as much as we were earlier in the year,'' offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. ''Teams are coming up, playing more man-to-man, pressing, so that disrupts the timing a little bit so you don't have the timed throws. But that also gives you opportunities to make big plays, and we've had some opportunities and just haven't hit yet.''

Turner said the Bears invite opponents to press them at the line, but his group hasn't proved capable of making a defense pay. Jacksonville lost cornerback Rashean Mathis for the season with a knee injury Monday night, making the Jaguars' secondary more vulnerable, but the Bears couldn't throw on the Vikings, who routinely are beaten by the pass.

Orton tried to pass the Bears back into the game Sunday night, and they only fell further behind in the 34-14 loss. The Bears have completed 46 passes in the last three games, only 13 for 10 yards or more. That's a bevy of checkdowns, dump-offs and quick throws.

The wideouts are not getting separation, and for the first time all season, Orton was downright bad against the Vikings. Minnesota used a lot of nickel packages to defend tight ends Desmond Clark and Greg Olsen, limiting some of the mismatches the Bears like against linebackers and safeties. The tight ends have been the focal point of the passing game, and if they're not producing, things will be even tougher.

When the Bears did get open at the Metrodome, they dropped a season-high five passes. Catching the ball has been one of the few things this unit has done well this season; it's tied for the sixth-fewest drops in the league with 16. Wideouts made only five catches against the Vikings. Hester had three for 67 yards -- with 65 of them coming on the touchdown.

It's debatable whether the Bears are likely to try to acquire Anquan Boldin from Arizona in the offseason. Scanning the list of potential free agents and draft prospects doesn't solve the issue at hand: The Bears need to produce in the passing game to have any chance of winning the division.

''We had a lot of opportunities that were very, very close [at Minnesota], and it's just a matter of time,'' Turner said. ''We hit one or two of them, and then the confidence is back, the rhythm is back and we'll start doing what we want to.''

Marty Booker 11 catches 183 yards 2 TDs
Brandon Lloyd 19 catches 293 yards 1 TD
Devin Hester 35 catches 442 yards 3 TDs
Rashied Davis 31 catches 396 yards 2 TDs
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears' receiver corps struggling

their Suck-Fu is strong
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

They blow, and I just realized that Anquan Boldin isn't a free agent at the end of the year. He's got another year left on his contract, so if we wanted to get him we'd have to trade for him.

That puts a damper on my plans because I actually thought he would be a FA at year's end. Looks like the cream-of-the-crop this year is TJ Houshmandzadeh, and I'm not so sure what I think of him and paying him #1 WR money. We may be stuck with these no-name clowns for next season as well... fuck.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Boldin is actually signed through 2010. He makes $2.5 million this season, $2.75 million next season and $3 million in 2010...considerably less than the four year, $40 million extension that Fitz signed. I remember hearing a story where he said he would buy out the remainder of his contract if they would let him be a FA, but I can't find it.

Bottom line is that there is NO WAY that Boldin is with the Cards next year. They have no cap space due to the Fitzgerald deal and the contracts of key players like Warner, Dockett, Dansby, and (gulp) Mike Gandy are set to expire.

I suspect/fear Boldin will be an Eagle...they have 2 1st round picks and will need to unload Lito Sheppard...they have the juice to get it done and we don't.

Plus why the hell would he want to play here?
swami
Journeyman

Do we even have the cash to pay these guys, plus Orton?

We spent so much this offseason to keep our beloved defense but it still seems we have major holes everywhere.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

We have no go to guy. And since there is this share the ball mentality I think they all get confused ( I don't believe any of our WRs are really that bright). I wish there was a comfort zone with one more than another, but all these summabitches drop too many damn balls.
Pagan
MVP

Most of us knew this WR corp would be sub-par, and it is. We hope for the best, but it is what it is. I see no senario where the Bears get A. Baldwin, none- it would be awesome though.

What other FA WR names are there?

pagan
G08
Hall of Famer

Looks like we'll just have to hope that Hester steps it up, Bennett grows up, and a rookie lights it up.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Fumblebuck
MVP

What other FA WR names are there?
Thats a good question Pagan.

I sure hope whoever the Bears go after in the offseason (and they'd better go after someone) that guy better bring speed to the team. As it now stands we almost have have to keep Hester on the field regardless of how he's playing because he's the only guy that gets downfield respect from defenses.