NEWS: Orton Update - MRI Shows No Ligament Tear

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune staff reporter

7:17 PM CST, November 3, 2008

After undergoing a series of tests Monday, Bears quarterback Kyle Orton was told he would miss three to four weeks, according to an NFL source.

The MRI revealed no ligament tear, according to the source.

Coach Lovie Smith would not reveal Orton's status during a Monday news conference, saying only that his quarterback was scheduled to take more tests.

"He took tests this morning [including an MRI] and we have some more to take," Smith said. "I wouldn't be quick to rush and ... I'm not playing doctor. You shouldn't either. ... We're hopeful."

Orton will miss Sunday's game against undefeated Tennessee but could return in time to face Minnesota on Nov. 30.

Asked if the team would add a veteran quarterback Smith said, "Right now we're staying exactly the way we are."
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
gaba
Head Coach

No reason to panic. Orton's injury isn't as bad as it could have been and we've still got Rex. Even if that doesn't sound like great news, it beats handing the team over to Dan Orlovski.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
jasyk34
Rookie

For some reason, I am not panicing as much about the change in QB as the defensive side of the ball. The Bears pass defense is killing us at the minute ! If we could get a lot more pressure on the opposing QB, it would give us a better opportunity to win.
gaba
Head Coach

If our defense was playing worth a sh*t, the quarterback change wouldn't be a big deal at all. I think Orton is clearly better, but Rex is perfectly capable of winning games.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!