NEWS: Urlacher says criticism 'unwarranted'

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I think they should move him to the weak side...
Pagan
MVP

Me too WAB- he still has the speed and coverage ability. Moving him out of the middle would really help him from having to deal with O-lineman blocking him out.
Move Briggs to middle, Brian to weakside and get some more beef at DT to help keep the LB's from dealing with the O-lineman.

pagan
Fumblebuck
MVP

Although I think Urlacher is a more natural OLB and Briggs a more natural fit at MLB, I have to wonder at this point would it make this defense significantly better, or better at all if they switched. I suppose it depends on what their respective learning curves would be and how much Urlacher has left in the tank. As it stands right now IMO I'd just leave them where they are......if it was 2006 thats a different story.
G08
Hall of Famer

Lance is a Pro-Bowler at WLB, and is called by some as the best WLB in football today. Why are we moving him? Because Urlacher sucks?

Let me say it first: Fuck Urlacher. He's on my shitlist until he gives me a reason to take him off.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

Lance is a Pro-Bowler at WLB, and is called by some as the best WLB in football today. Why are we moving him? Because Urlacher sucks?
You make the move because Briggs is the bigger playmaker and the possition change may give Brian a few more years of better play.

pagan
G08
Hall of Famer

The MLB position is designed for the "glamor". Straight from Lance Briggs' mouth. The MLB gets the "fun stuff," he said, "they get the sacks and the INTs."

Lovie Smith calls it "Five-Five". Five INTs, Five sacks.

How'd that work out for Mr. Urlacher?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

I think the two years Urlacher finished 5 & 5 he was defensive player of the year and the second time his stats were just as good.

This last year he didnt even sniff those numbers.

Which of the two players do you think have the ability next year to reach the 5 - 5? If you moved Lance to MLB could he reach them? If so, why not make the move?
If you could get a few more years of better play from Urlacher if you moved him over- why not?

pagan
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't know, the way the scheme is designed, the MLB is "supposed" to get the 5 - 5. My question is, why should we take Lance Briggs, a player who is kicking ass at the WLB position, and move him to MLB? Because we're pandering to an overpaid brat? If Briggs thinks he can succeed at the MLB position and it's best for the team then I'm fine with the move. But moving him out of a position in which he is excelling just because our "star" player is sucking balls isn't a good move, IMO.

wab
Mod

My thought on it is more of butting 54 in a position to succeed (and earn some of that damn money) moreso than pandering. Plus Briggs has always wanted to play in the middle based on comments he has made over the years...
G08
Hall of Famer

I hear what you're saying man... I guess at this point I think Lance deserves to play where he feels he will be most successful. If that's at mike, then fine by me. I just don't want to cost one position because our "star" can't cut it anymore in the middle. I guess I kind of hate him at this point in time.

Halas85
Assistant Coach

I can't say I'm really convinced that Urlacher can succeed on the weak side. Much of Briggs' success is his ability to shed and split blockers to blow up a play, something that happens to be Urlacher's weak point. I think if you want Urlacher to be successful at this point in his career, it's going to require a new scheme, one keeps him at MLB while putting young versions of Traylor/Washington in front of him to keep blockers away as he hits holes and flies around the field.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
G08
Hall of Famer

Someone answer me this... if I could find a 6'4" 260lbs guy that could run a 4.60 dash... what would make Brian Urlacher better than him? Seriously. I'm not trying to discount the guy, but I haven't been wowed by him since the Arizona game (and he said because he wasn't blocked). To me, you're considered great if the opposition does everything they can to stop you, but can't (read: Michael Jordan). Urlacher, I can't say I really see that.

gaba
Head Coach

I think he is (or at least was) a little better than that. It wasn't just big and fast that drew the comparisons to the great Bears linebackers. That being said... does anyone remember Singletary or Butkus throwing a hissy-fit when someone questioned their performance. Even more important, does anyone ever remember having to question Singletary or Butkus's effort? Urlacher had (and probably still has) the physical tools to be truly great. He just doesn't have the balls.

Maybe Lance does.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Halas85
Assistant Coach

gaba wrote:I think he is (or at least was) a little better than that. It wasn't just big and fast that drew the comparisons to the great Bears linebackers. That being said... does anyone remember Singletary or Butkus throwing a hissy-fit when someone questioned their performance. Even more important, does anyone ever remember having to question Singletary or Butkus's effort? Urlacher had (and probably still has) the physical tools to be truly great. He just doesn't have the balls.

Maybe Lance does.
You hit the nail on the head, Gaba. Singletary (and I have to assume Butkus, though that was before my time) always played a factor in games. I don't ever recall him disappearing from the field. Urlacher was like that at one time, too.

In a previous life, I used to get into a game or two a year using press credentials (usually the Bears/Minnesota game in Minneapolis), and one Sunday, a guy from Fox left cameraman instructions in the press box. It was sort of a priority list of things they wanted to capture throughout the game besides, of course, the game itself. I got a kick out of the fact that after a list of about 10 specific things (e.g. "Kruetz pulling from the center position" and "Moss - deep routes") was the line, "Urlacher -- everywhere and everything." That was another way of saying, "This guy's going to do something important, so don't miss it!" It's amazing to me how quickly things turned around, from the days when it was just a given that Urlacher would make an impact to where we can go two, three, maybe even four games in a row without hardly a mention of Urlacher besides the occasional "in on the tackle."
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
Fumblebuck
MVP

Someone answer me this... if I could find a 6'4" 260lbs guy that could run a 4.60 dash... what would make Brian Urlacher better than him? Seriously. I'm not trying to discount the guy, but I haven't been wowed by him since the Arizona game (and he said because he wasn't blocked). To me, you're considered great if the opposition does everything they can to stop you, but can't (read: Michael Jordan). Urlacher, I can't say I really see that
So, your saying he's overrated G08?
G08
Hall of Famer

I've been saying that since 2007.

The fact that he bitched for more money and then went out and had the worst statistical season of his career just fuels my anger.

IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah - and to think we used to chest-thump about how he was better than Killer Ray. He might have been for a season or two... but overall? No way. News of Killer Ray's professional decline were greatly exaggerated. I'm not sure I can say the same thing about #54. Ouch.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Killer Ray's still the beating heart of that defense. He's their unquestioned leader.

What exactly is Urlacher?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Someone answer me this... if I could find a 6'4" 260lbs guy that could run a 4.60 dash... what would make Brian Urlacher better than him? Seriously. I'm not trying to discount the guy, but I haven't been wowed by him since the Arizona game (and he said because he wasn't blocked). To me, you're considered great if the opposition does everything they can to stop you, but can't (read: Michael Jordan). Urlacher, I can't say I really see that.
We have at least two of them already playing DE...one in Mark Anderson.
Pagan
MVP

All I can say, to Urlachers defense is that having back problems is no joke. It HAS to be what has been Urlacher's problem since 07, he's tried playing it off like its not a problem but when I watch him play it seems obvious.

The fact that the D Line isnt holding up their end of the bargin has alot to do with it too. No MLB is going to look good if O lineman are constantly blocking them out- which is exactly what happen 90% of the time when youre giving up 75 lbs to another player.

But when I have watched Urlacher play the past two years he simply isnt finishing off plays- whereas, in years past he would be in the pile hitting the ball carrier. If he sees a players going down now, he doesnt lay into them anymore.
I think the problem is with his back and if it doesnt improve I wouldnt be surprised to see him retire, this offseason or the next.

pagan
wab
Mod

All I can say, to Urlachers defense is that having back problems is no joke. It HAS to be what has been Urlacher's problem since 07, he's tried playing it off like its not a problem but when I watch him play it seems obvious.
Yeah I agree...he looks super stiff out there. Just not very fluid. He doesn't flow to the ball anylonger and when he;s dropped back in coverage with his back to the QB he struggles to get his body turned back around.
G08
Hall of Famer

Well, good thing he raped us for that extra $18 million.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Well, good thing he raped us for that extra $18 million.

wonder why, with that kind of coin, he doesn't simply hire a team of massage therapists ... hell, that trio I hired for a 3 hour session were wonderful, and I honestly had no aches or pains for a week

and no ya pervs, this wasn't 3 hookers ... 3 actual massage therapists, working as a team ... the deep tissue one, the over all stretching and pounding one, and the deep relaxation one, with the aroma therapy oils to finish ... simply superb

AND it works when you have folks who actually know what they are doing rather than just getting a nice rubdown from your spouse, which feels good, but does not address all the kinks and knots
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

the over all stretching and pounding one
Not so sure that's my cup of tea :)

gaba
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:and no ya pervs, this wasn't 3 hookers ... 3 actual massage therapists, working as a team ...
They were at least asian though, right?

Ever since this movie I can't even hear the word massage without getting a little rigid.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ah Lucy... I'm not into pain, but for her I could make an exception.
(In my mind Tim Curry's not there.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Not so sure that's my cup of tea :)
dude - don't knock it until you tried it ... I admit, some of the deep tissue stuff and pounding has some pain, but when you feel everything all warm and relaxed when they're done, it is certainly worth it

and, thanks to these 3 lovely ladies, I even actually learned some better stretching techniques, which is important to an aging weekend warrior
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:They were at least asian though, right?
lol

1 of the 3 was - the final relaxation therapist with the aroma therapy oils ... she could have saved the oils and simply rubbed her naked body on me (she smelled truly wonderful), but alas, it wasn't that kind of party
George Carlin