For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Chicago Bears Mid Term Report Card

By Tom Marino
Lead NFL Analyst

Posted Nov 3, 2008

The Bears have frustrated their fans by their lack of creativity both on and off the field. Off season moves via free agency have been the exception rather than the rule for this proud successful franchise.

OFFENSE C+

DEFENSE A-

SPEC. TEAMS B-

COACHING B+

FRONT OFFICE B-

SCOUTING A-

OVERALL B

STRENGTH DL, LB, RB, RS, TE

WEAKNESS WR, DS, OG

OFF. MVP Matt Forte

DEF. MVP Lance Briggs

TOP ROOKIE Matt Forte

Comments: Through the first half of the season, I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from this Bears club. There certainly not flashy and nobody is ever going to confuse this club with the 1999 greatest show on turf St. Louis Rams, but they are very efficient, execute the offense and have significantly upgraded the overall offense by committing to Kyle Orton at the quarterback position and the play of rookie running back Matt Forte.

During the off season the wide receiver group needs to be upgraded significantly. Devin Hester shows promise, but I don’t know if he has the processing ability to become a front line receiver in this league. The secondary has been totally beaten up over the first half of the season, but with the exception of the 48 to 41 victory over the Vikings the defense has been first rate. Let’s also hope for the overall success of this football club that the Orton ankle injury isn’t as serious as it appeared.

I’ve known management (Jerry Angelo) and the majority of the scouting staff for many year’s and although I have often disagreed with some of their actions and inactions, I strongly believe that they as a group are as good as there is in the National Football League. If I were ever to some day be in a position to put together a staff, you can be sure that the names of Marty Barrett, Jeff Shiver, Mark Sadowski and Ted Monago would be at the very top of my list.

I had the opportunity to work with Lovie Smith for two seasons with the St. Louis Rams and believe he is as good at what he does in preparing his club as anyone in the league.

They’ve got to stay healthy over the second half of the season, but the Bears have a real chances or reclaiming NFC North division title.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote: OFFENSE C+

DEFENSE A-

This guy is a joke!

Content wise I wasn't going to post this, but then I thought it may be fun to watch you guys tear him apart. :evilgrin:
Ormazd
MVP

You beat me to it. WTF has he been watching?
IE
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:
DaDitka wrote: OFFENSE C+

DEFENSE A-

This guy is a joke!

Content wise I wasn't going to post this, but then I thought it may be fun to watch you guys tear him apart. :evilgrin:
No kidding ... guy is exactly backwards.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

Correction:
OFFENSE A-

DEFENSE D+

SPEC. TEAMS C

COACHING C

FRONT OFFICE C

SCOUTING C+

OVERALL B-

STRENGTH CB, LB, QB, HB

WEAKNESS DE, DT, OG

OFF. MVP Kyle Orton/Ron Turner

DEF. MVP I guess Briggs

TOP ROOKIE Matt Forte
G08
Hall of Famer

I can't really say that QB is a strength right now.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

This guy is so full of shit I can smell him from here. How do you give the second highest scoring team a C+ on offense? I'll give the run defense a passing grade, but we have had noooooo pass rush. None. And that is what makes this defense go.

STRENGTH DL HUH??????