Bears may consider Lions WR Furrey

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

According to the Detroit Free Press, the Lions are on the verge of releasing wide receiver Mike Furrey. Although the Bears are not panicking about their receiving corps, a healthy Furrey might not be a bad option.

The Bears likely are to part ways with both Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker, leaving at least one spot open for a newcomer. Furrey played with St. Louis in 2003, when Bears coach Lovie Smith was the Rams defensive coordinator. He was moved to safety after Smith departed.

Furrey’s former coach in Detroit, Rod Marinelli, is now the Bears assistant head coach/defensive line. So there are plenty of ties.

Furrey finished the ’06 season second in the NFL in receptions with 98 for 1,086 yards. He played in just nine games this past season and was placed on injured reserved with a concussion, a decision he did not favor. Furrey was due to make $1.85 million this season.

It wouldn't be a stretch for the Bears to sign a player cut by the Lions. Remember, they brought in running back Kevin Jones after Detroit cut him following the '07 season.
wab
Mod

He's a poor man's Wes Welker. He's not nearly as fast, but he's got great hands. This would be the sort of no-flash signing at WR I am expecting from the team.
gaba
Head Coach

He might be a little closer to what I'd like to see. I really don't care if the offense is creating highlights, as long as they're getting the job done.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

If we are going to go with Kyle under center again, a guy like Furrey could have a bigger impact then a legit #1 wide out because the deep ball is out of play.

I'm for any move that gets Davis of the field. His drops last year were as detrimental as anything the team did all year.
IE
Hall of Famer

I agree re: Davis, DaDitka. I'm not in favor of only bringing in Furrey... but if they brought him in with a long-ball guy to have some additional threat there besides Hester, then I'll be OK with it.

The "poor man's Welker" thing is interesting, because IIRC Furrey had his big season the same year Welker emerged in Miami, and I believe that NE signed Welker to be "like Furrey" - kind of circular, huh?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!