Haugh: Chicago happy to see Grossman go

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

David Haugh | On the Bears
10:36 PM CST, February 25, 2009

History will be kinder to Rex Grossman in Chicago than Section 146 at Soldier Field ever was.

Grossman officially becomes an ex-Bear at 11:01 p.m. Thursday when NFL free agency begins, so start rehearsing your toasts now to celebrate Chicago's favorite quarterback to hate being Rex-iled from the city.

When Chicago baseball fan favorites Mark DeRosa and Joe Crede left town, it created civic angst. Meanwhile, Grossman, one of two Bears quarterbacks to start a Super Bowl, has been getting offers to drive him to O'Hare since 2007.

Bears fans will miss him like they miss frostbite. Not since Cade McNown has Chicago been so happy to rid itself of a quarterback.

That's not fair, and that's the point.

Nothing about Grossman's tortured six-year tenure with the Bears ever was fair, from the rash of injuries that wrecked his progress to his treatment outside Halas Hall.

Critics will add that nothing about any so-called quarterback competition involving Grossman ever felt fair either. What coach Lovie Smith and the Bears called loyalty others interpreted as entitlement, and Grossman was doomed.

That the Bears won 19 of 31 games Grossman started didn't matter. The perception Grossman hadn't earned the opportunities the Bears kept giving him reduced his margin of error and hurt his image as much as any bad interception.

The disappointment in Grossman's decline could be understood. Grossman lacked consistency and the high-risk, high-reward approach ultimately made him too erratic to trust.

The trademark confidence that helped make Grossman a first-round draft pick and a Heisman Trophy runner-up had vanished. Without it, a smallish quarterback with limited mobility because of injuries cannot succeed. When Grossman started to doubt himself sometime during the start of the '07 season, his big arm suddenly became no big deal.

What's much harder to understand as Grossman departs is why Chicago revolted against the person as well as the quarterback. Big jerks have come and gone through the city's sports gates without becoming the polarizing force Grossman oddly became.

The guy even was booed at Soldier Field Family Night last August. The public probably never will know the worst of the abuse he took.

Unbearable indeed.

"Some of my home games felt like away games," Grossman said Wednesday in a Sirius Radio interview.

It speaks to how deeply scarred Grossman feels that he specifically turned down requests from the Tribune and other Chicago media, according to agent Eugene Parker, and broke his prolonged silence on a national satellite radio show.

"I want to prove to everybody in Chicago, I want to prove to everybody in the media, in the NFL and to myself that I am one of the best quarterbacks in this league," Grossman said.

He should settle for aspiring to be a really good one or even consistent. To offer one last critique, whether it's his potential or the open receiver, Grossman needs to embrace the comforts of middle ground.

That's mild criticism compared to what Grossman grew used to here. To say all the abuse comes with the territory of being an NFL quarterback lets too many fools off the hook. The treatment was over-the-top.

There was the time Grossman called the media "ignorant" at the Super Bowl and occasional comments that raised an eyebrow about his focus. But Grossman never consistently behaved on or off the field in a way that merited the silliness that marred his Bears stay.

Strip away emotion and sentiment and the numbers tell this story: Grossman deserves credit for helping lead the Bears to a Super Bowl but, because of injury and inconsistency, still fell short of expectations for a first-round draft pick. Though disappointing, Grossman's achievements still were too respectable to become Chicago's most polarizing athlete since Sammy Sosa's latter days.

Consider only two Bears quarterbacks have started Super Bowls— Jim McMahon and Grossman, who ranks among the franchise's top 10 in career attempts, completions and passer rating (70.2). The Bears have won five playoff games since Super Bowl XX and Grossman started two of them.

Mike Tomczak started two of those postseason victories (in 1988 and 1990) and eventually led the Steelers to a playoff appearance in 1996.

After Jim Harbaugh left he played so well for the Colts that his name is part of the team's Ring of Honor.

If Grossman finds life after the Bears better too, it shouldn't surprise fans in Chicago. We already know it won't please many of them.
UOK
Site Admin

I stand proudly as a Rex supporter, and was really pissed about how this city turned on him. But there's nothing that can be done now, so I hope he does go out there and prove this organization and all those fans wrong.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I stand proudly as a Rex supporter, and was really pissed about how this city turned on him. But there's nothing that can be done now, so I hope he does go out there and prove this organization and all those fans wrong.

That's impossible.

Even if he goes out and becomes a ProBowl quarterback it doesn’t change the fact that he was terrible in a Bears uniform. So no matter what, the fans can't be 'wrong' because he did suck. You can come up with all the excuses you want to and they could even be valid, but he still sucked.

Let it go!

I too wish Rex well, but the only thing the Bears organization did wrong was treat him with kid gloves and not got another direction sooner.

If we would have parted ways a few years ago (or let Kurt come in and beat Rex out), I think we would both (the Bears and Rex) be in a much better situation and having much more success.

I honestly think not parting ways sooner with Rex may have seriously jeopardized his career. If he was mentally soft before, I can only imagine what a wreck he is now on the inside.
gaba
Head Coach

The question isn't whether Rex had bad games or not. He did, but so does every other f*&king quarterback in the history of the game. If you don't give a guy a chance to succeed, he obviously never will. The question now is did Rex suck in Chicago because he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL quarterback (a question usually answered by "can he take a team to the Superbowl") or because Lovie Smith and his cronies are completely f*&king worthless and would have ruined anyone that had been under center when they got here.

Personally, I'm glad he's gone. Not because I hate him, because I don't. I'm glad he's gone because I'm just sick and tired of the drama surrounding the guy. Yeah, it's not his fault the fans are a bunch of clueless douchebags, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. That and it's pretty clear he was never going to make anything of himself here. A change of scenery is the best thing for him and for us.

So you can count me in on the "hope he proves everyone wrong" bandwagon UOK.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
IE
Hall of Famer

I'll be excited if he ends up on the Lions. I see their games here every week, being in their viewing area (that is, when they sell out).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Halas85
Assistant Coach

Even if he goes out and becomes a ProBowl quarterback it doesn’t change the fact that he was terrible in a Bears uniform. So no matter what, the fans can't be 'wrong' because he did suck. You can come up with all the excuses you want to and they could even be valid, but he still sucked.

Let it go!

I too wish Rex well, but the only thing the Bears organization did wrong was treat him with kid gloves and not got another direction sooner.

If we would have parted ways a few years ago (or let Kurt come in and beat Rex out), I think we would both (the Bears and Rex) be in a much better situation and having much more success.

I honestly think not parting ways sooner with Rex may have seriously jeopardized his career. If he was mentally soft before, I can only imagine what a wreck he is now on the inside.
Well said. I wish I could add something, but this pretty much covers it for me.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
G08
Hall of Famer

I wish the guy well, except for if/when he plays the beloved.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
makaur
Pro Bowler

I wish him well, but I think his greatest problem was that he is too short to be a good QB. Most NFL lineman average 6'4" and Rex is barely 6'1" which doesn't allow him to read defenses when the ball is snapped. Rex has the arm, his accuracy is okay, but his inability to effectively read defenses led to him throwing too many bad passes.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote:I wish him well, but I think his greatest problem was that he is too short to be a good QB. Most NFL lineman average 6'4" and Rex is barely 6'1" which doesn't allow him to read defenses when the ball is snapped. Rex has the arm, his accuracy is okay, but his inability to effectively read defenses led to him throwing too many bad passes.
The height issue is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. I honestly can't think of a worse argument.

Tony Romo is 6'2". Donovan McNabb is 6'2". Kurt Warner is 6'2". Drew Brees is 6'0". Butt Farter is 6'2". Jake Delhomme is 6'2". Jeff Garcia is 6'1".

Would you like me to continue?
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Personally, I'm glad he's gone. Not because I hate him, because I don't. I'm glad he's gone because I'm just sick and tired of the drama surrounding the guy. Yeah, it's not his fault the fans are a bunch of clueless douchebags, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. That and it's pretty clear he was never going to make anything of himself here. A change of scenery is the best thing for him and for us.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

The fact that he is willing to go to Detroit and face the Bears twice a year impresses me. Bears fans will eat him alive both in Chicago & Detroit (seems like Bears fans like to invade Ford Field as of late.) Though I don't think Grossman deserves as much gripe from Bears fans as the quarterback that wore #8 before him (yet it seems like he's been forgotten.)
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He is no longer a Bear so I could care less. He had opportunities here and didn't take advantage of them. He is/was hurt by the simple fact he was a 1st rd draft choice, hopes were high for him and he didn't pan out as most fans think a first rd pick should.

I'll admit I wasn't a fan of his, hated the pick, but rooted for him when he played. I never wanted to see him fail because that meant my team would fail. I have moved on.

Also, I can readily admit I am not a fan of Orton's either. I hope I don't die without seeing a kick ass qb here.
gaba
Head Coach

imprint3454 wrote:(yet it seems like he's been forgotten.)
Well we were TRYING to but there's always some douche that wants to bring him up again.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

After Maury Buford, I don't claim any #8s until Grossman.
makaur
Pro Bowler

imprint3454 wrote:Tony Romo is 6'2". Donovan McNabb is 6'2". Kurt Warner is 6'2". Drew Brees is 6'0". Butt Farter is 6'2". Jake Delhomme is 6'2". Jeff Garcia is 6'1".

Would you like me to continue?
Actually, I would like you to continue. However, allow me to kindly pick apart your already poor choices:

Romo.....explain to me what he has done. Go ahead, I'll give you all the time/space you need. To sum up my feelings about Tony Romo, I'm not impressed. I laughed hysterically when Dallas gave him that big extension last year. Total Super Bowl trophies = 0

McNabb.....much like Romo, what has he done? However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, McNabb can threaten with his feet and as a result, there aren't a lot of defenses who blitz him as much as you might think. Romo might be mobile, but he's no threat with his feet like McNabb is. Not even close. On top of that, McNabb has learned to stay in the pocket (something Romo may never learn). Oh, and there's this guy he has by the name of Westbrook who is ridiculously dangerous on screens. A QB's height means nothing when he has that advantage. Total Super Bowl trophies = 0

Kurt Warner....now there's an argument, but I said Rex is barely 6'1" and that might be being generous. Warner has one of the quickest releases in the game, and that's something he learned while in the Arena League (something that might benefit a QB like Rex). His accuracy has been questioned at times (when he was hurt), but his quick release is what has made him dangerous. Total Super Bowl trophies = 1

Drew Brees.....actually, he's the same height as Rex (Brees was listed as being 6'2" when he was in San Diego but it was always doubted). However, and this is very similar to the Romo argument I have with you, explain to me what he has done. Before you cut and paste a bunch of stats, let me kindly remind you that stats are for losers. Do you think anyone will remember him 10 years after he retires because of his stats? What has Brees ever done? What big time opponent has Brees ever beaten? You do realize the Bears have never lost to Drew Brees, right? Total Super Bowl trophies = 0

Butt Fartver.....you may not watch the NFL Network, but maybe you do, but they had a special on Butthead recently and included many interviews with him over the years. One particular one that stood out to me was when Favre was talking about his younger years when he didn't understand what the difference between nickel and dime coverages where. It's not that he didn't know that nickel includes 5 DB's or that dime coverages include 6 DB's, it's just that he didn't care. Why? Because his philosophy has and always was about putting the ball where only his receivers could catch it and get there in a hurry. I'm sure you did notice how strong Favre's arm was....something you better have noticed against the beloved. Brett Favre, despite what you or others may think about him, was something Rex Grossman never will be.....a leader. Do you remember the emotional game he had vs. the Raiders when his father died? After the game, the receivers all said the same thing....no matter where Brett puts the ball, just make sure it's caught by one of us (Packer receivers). Name one QB that a Bear WR has said that about. Go ahead, name one. Oh, that noise you hear is called crickets. Total Super Bowl trophies = 1

Delhomme/Garcia. Again, what have they done? Take Steve Smith away from Jake Delhomme and then get back to me. As for Garcia, again, he's always been a threat with his feet....but how many playoff games has he won? Again, those are crickets. Total Super Bowl trophies for both = 0

So, of the QB's you chose to support your argument with, only two of them won a Super Bowl....and that's one a piece. Oh, and let's not talk about how both teams had outstanding OL's during both years. Now, you might be thinking about how Kyle Orton is 6'4" and hasn't won anything....true....but I'll take him over Rex Grossman any day of the week. No, Orton does not have the arm strength nor does he have the accuracy on his deep passes the same a Rex does, but what he can do is read a defense after the ball is snapped. He may not be that good at it, but you'll never see Orton throw a pass and pray it's caught the same way Rex Grossman has done. Why? Because he can see the coverage as he's throwing the ball. Rex can't.

So yes, please continue...but if you wish to do so, please use current QB's. Past QB's (like Jim McMahon or Dan Marino) are irrelevant to this discussion. :-P
G08
Hall of Famer

So are you going to dismantle every QB that doesn't have a Super Bowl ring? Come on, mak. It's like you're saying, oh go ahead and almost shatter a record for most yards passed in a season, go ahead and throw for ~14,000 yards in three seasons, but wait since you're under some minimum height for QBs and have zero Super Bowl rings you don't count :lol:

The QBs imp listed have put up some terrific statistical seasons, and have each QB'd their team to the playoffs. Are you telling me that you have to be over 6'3" in order to win the Super Bowl? Or are you discounting these "short" QBs because they don't have a ring, like the MAJORITY of NFL QBs don't have!

Being 6'3" and greater doesn't make you a great QB
Being 6'2" and under doesn't make you a poor QB
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Ok fine....tom brady is 6-2. Saying a short qb can't succeed is almost as dumb as discounting a qb for not winning a super bowl.
gaba
Head Coach

6-2 is short? Well f*&K YOU... like I needed some assbag to RAISE the f*&king bar. Now if I find a magic lamp or a shooting star to get my lifelong dream of somehow reaching 6ft, I would STILL be short. I give up. When I take over the world, any of you over 6ft. better watch your kneecaps.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
IE
Hall of Famer

Tom Brady is not 6'2". More like 6'4". He's a pretty tall dude. Nobody questions this.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!