Biggs: Bears sign safety Josh Bullocks

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Bears sign safety Josh Bullocks
By
Brad Biggs
on March 11, 2009 3:17 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

The Bears have signed safety Josh Bullocks to a one-year contract, a league source said.

Bullocks gets $525,000 guaranteed, and will add depth to the secondary immediately.

The hope is that he can win the starting free safety job. Bullocks started his first three seasons in New Orelans.

He will be at the veteran minicamp next week and will begin competing with Craig Steltz, a fourth-round pick last year.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
gaba
Head Coach

We don't need depth. We've got plenty of backups. I wish the Bears would sign just ONE player this year that elicits a reaction other than "WHO?"

5 Danielle Mannings do not equal a starter.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

While I liked him coming out of college...he is another SS type that struggles in coverage.

Plus...Signing a player that inspires a youtube video titled "How can a safety be this bad" does not make me what you would call....happy...

G08
Hall of Famer

Grade 61
Expert's Take Bullock is a five-year veteran who has been a starter for all of the previous four seasons. He is a good-sized safety with good top-end speed with above-average quickness and agility in coverage. He is a little stiff in his pedal and tends to play erect, which causes him to miss some tackles in space. He builds to speed more than being explosive or immediate. He is a little stiff in the hips and comes out of his pedal in stages, which causes him to lose speed and relationship to receivers. He is not real direct, when transitioning to close on the pass and tends to round things off, but will show a decent burst to close on the ball, once he gets realigned. He shows good route awareness and can read the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball, but is not a great ball hawk and often gets there after the catch. He is inconsistent wrapping up and often chooses to try and knock the ball carrier down, rather than wrap up and form tackle. He is willing in run support, but is not a real physical player unless he can hit on angles, rather than heads up. He is an adequate starter but does not stand out in any one phase of the game.

Now I know why he's a Bear.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Halas85
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:While I liked him coming out of college...he is another SS type that struggles in coverage.

Plus...Signing a player that inspires a youtube video titled "How can a safety be this bad" does not make me what you would call....happy...

This is really disturbing, but I suppose you could probably make a similar video of low-lights from Tillman's '08 season. Let's hope our new position coaches can coach some technique and intelligence into this guy.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
gaba
Head Coach

Run over by Ced... that's all I needed to see. I am not inspired.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

If we needed a backup safety, this would be a great signing. Like the 1 year $605,000 contract Kevin Jones signed a year ago. But we need a starter. If he turns out to start for us this year, that's great, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Halas85
Assistant Coach

If he turns out to start for us this year, that's great
I think the opposite. If he ends up starting for us this year, then we're in some serious shit.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
UOK
Site Admin

Yawn.
Fumblebuck
MVP

he is another SS type that struggles in coverage.
Exactly what I thought WAB.

This signing brings nothing to the team that we don't already have.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the more I see of the Lovie Dovie regime, the more I see comparisons to Dave "the mustachioed weasel" Weeniested, and Dick "deer in the headlights" Ja-moron ... and the more disgusted I become

the Bears have the cash to take a big swing for an immediate upgrade player ... like Isaac Holt for instance, or the just recently released Orlando Pace ... 2 ex-Rams (a Lovie Dovie connection should make this an easy idea) who bring experience, talent and immediate impact ... and though both in their early 30's, I believe both still have plenty left in their tanks

instead, they target a second line DB who lost his job with his most recent team, and does not seem to be starting material for the Bears

imprint3454 wrote:If he turns out to start for us this year, that's great
Halas85 wrote:I think the opposite. If he ends up starting for us this year, then we're in some serious shit.
gotta agree with Halas85 on this

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I agree 100%. If he's better than a backup we're in big trouble.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:... like Isaac Holt for instance...
Is that like Issac Bruce and Torry Holt fused into one to form some sort of super duper WR?

:-P
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:... like Isaac Holt for instance...
imprint3454 wrote:Is that like Issac Bruce and Torry Holt fused into one to form some sort of super duper WR?

:-P
why yes ... yes it is .... and wouldn't he be f'n great?

~ sigh

I hang my head in Homer Simpson shame and say 'doh'
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin