Max Scherzer ties MLB record with 20 strikeouts

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Max Scherzer ties MLB record with 20 strikeouts
Washington Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer tied the MLB record of 20 strikeouts in a nine-inning game Wednesday night. Scherzer tied the record in a six-hit 3-2 complete-game victory against the Detroit Tigers.

Scherzer, whose career high was 17 strikeouts, tied the previous nine-inning mark of 20 shared by Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood and Randy Johnson.

"I think it was about the eighth inning when I punched out somebody and they said that was 18, that was the first time I heard the number, so I knew I had a shot at going out for the ninth and 20," said Scherzer.

Scherzer made things interesting in the ninth inning. He entered with 18 strikeouts and a 3-1 lead.

J.D. Martinez lead off with a solo home run to center field that cut the lead to one, before Miguel Cabrera fanned swinging. Victor Martinez followed with a single to left, then Scherzer struck out Justin Upton to tie the record.

Scherzer went 0-1 on James McCann, who had struck out in his three previous at-bats, before he grounded into a fielder's choice to end it. He ended with 119 pitches, 96 of them for strikes, and didn't issue a walk.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin