Rougned Odor : 8-game suspension for punching Jose Bautista

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rougned Odor gets 8-game suspension for punching Jose Bautista
Texas Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor received an eight-game suspension for punching Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista on Sunday, according to multiple reports.

Odor will appeal the ban, according to reports. The suspension was first reported by MLB Network.

Bautista slid at Odor's legs in the midst of a double play in the top of the eighth inning of the Rangers' eventual 7-6 win. Players from both teams rushed the field, and Odor shoved Bautista then landed a punch to his face.

Bautista had reached base after being hit by a pitch from Matt Bush.

Odor said on Sunday that he expected a suspension, and on Monday he said he didn't regret hitting Bautista.

Fines and and any other discipline was not immediately available, though, many players were involved in the melee.

He and Odor were ejected after the brawl, as were Toronto third baseman Josh Donaldson and Texas bench coach Steve Buechele.

Umpires needed about 10 minutes to restore order, and Blue Jays reliever Jesse Chavez hit Prince Fielder with the next pitch when the game resumed, which caused both teams to leave their dugouts again, though this time no punches were thrown.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was a nice clean shot to Bautista's jaw. Best punch I have seen in a baseball "fight." I don't think Bautista expected it. Surprised he wasn't knocked out.

Not much of a baseball fan, but I didn't see anything wrong with the slide. It wasn't a vicious out of the path slide.

Baseball, bunch of cry babies.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:It was a nice clean shot to Bautista's jaw. Best punch I have seen in a baseball "fight." I don't think Bautista expected it. Surprised he wasn't knocked out.
that was a pretty solid shot, and right to the jaw

Otis Day wrote:Not much of a baseball fan, but I didn't see anything wrong with the slide. It wasn't a vicious out of the path slide.

Baseball, bunch of cry babies.
under previous rules, that slide would have been a-o-k ... a guy going in to try to break up the double play ... and if you watch the replay, he did, as the throw to first was high and wide of the bag

didn't matter though because the new rules on sliding made that a double play anyway as the umpire deemed it too aggressive

the reason I call bullshit on that is Bautista never made contact with the second baseman, nor did he go out of the baseline (he slid right to the bag) ... so I guess I don't understand the new rule
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Don't get why Odor got 8 and Bautista got one. BAutista was going to sing on Odor, Odor just got him first.