2016 Home Run Derby

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

2016 Home Run Derby: Giancarlo Stanton, Todd Frazier steal All-Star limelight
SAN DIEGO — Not an All-Star? No problem. You can still steal the stage during All-Star week with enough power.

Home Run Derby finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Todd Frazier proved this Monday night, finishing first and second, respectively, as the only contestants who are not All-Stars this season.

Stanton, who hit a Derby-record 61 homers, including two shots of 497 feet, beat Frazier 20-13. He is the second player in the history of the Derby to win the event without being an All-Star, joining Yoenis Cespedes in 2013.

Frazier, last year’s champion, beat Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and Reds outfielder Adam Duvall in the first two rounds to reach the final. The White Sox third baseman entered the event as the defending champion after winning it in front of his home crowd as a member of the Reds last season.

Both players are in the midst of down years, with Stanton hitting just .233/.328/.495 with 20 home runs in 76 games. Despite his struggles, Stanton still accepted an invitation from Major League Baseball to enter the Derby, and came to San Diego with one goal in mind.

“Being on the West Coast and taking the flight out here just for this,” Stanton said. “I figure it's a waste if I don't bring this bad boy home.”
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I watched half of it and wondered why. Stanton is a big sumbitch.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

That was the most I've enjoyed watching the even since Big Mac in Boston.

Trumbo was crushing epic shot as well. It's too bad he ran into Stanton in the second round.