Trea Turner hits for the cycle as Nationals outlast Rockies

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Trea Turner hits for the cycle as Nationals outlast Rockies, 15-12
DENVER — When Trea Turner slid into third base, having just completed the third cycle in Washington Nationals history, he dusted himself off and looked around, hoping someone would verify the feat.

“Wait a second,” he said, though he was not sure third base coach Bobby Henley had heard him when he did not receive an answer. Not until Turner saw the visitors’ dugout clamoring for the baseball did he know for sure.

“That was kind of my confirmation that I actually did it,” Turner said. “I saw people ask for the ball and I saw people clapping at me.”

Turner drove in seven runs Tuesday night, which combined with Daniel Murphy’s five RBI to lift the Nationals to a 15-12 win. They are now tied for the most wins in the majors at 14, and will finish a road trip they had dreaded with at least seven wins. At its outset, they would have probably settled for five.

Tuesday night’s win was, as Dusty Baker put it afterward, “Coors Field at its finest,” a topsy-turvy contest in which the Nationals scored the game’s first seven runs and surrendered the game’s final seven runs . Joe Ross failed to last five innings, but never trailed. The Nationals’ offense — with a new-look lineup that included Turner hitting second and Ryan Zimmerman batting cleanup between Bryce Harper and Daniel Murphy — scored a season-high 15 runs. Turner scored four of them.
that was a wild-assed game to watch
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin