All Star Weekend HR Derby - Judge vs Stanton?

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kind of an odd list of people invited (and accepted) to participate in the All Star Home Run Derby. Several big bombers simply declined to participate.

But, there are 2 who are who will probably make the whole thing worthwhile entertainment.

In this corner, at 6' 7" and 287 pounds, a rookie devastator of baseballs, representing the NY Yankees, Aaron Judge

His opponent, at 6' 6", and 242 pounds, a veteran devastator of baseballs, representing the Miami Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton

Both have some of the hardest hit home runs this season ... both have some of the longest home runs ... and both have dented and damaged things a long way from home plate with the baseballs they have destroyed.

Of course for this matchup to happen, they need to work their way through the other participants. I don't see that as an issue.

Wonder what is most likely to get damaged at Marlins Park? And will home field advantage help Stanton to win the title this year?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so Judge vs Stanton didn't happen

Gary Sanchez stuns defending HR Derby champion Giancarlo Stanton
In a first-round upset of epic stature, New York Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez stunned defending champion Giancarlo Stanton with a 17-16 victory in Monday night's 2017 Home Run Derby.

The Miami Marlins slugger had one final swing in the bonus round to tie Sanchez but popped it up. He had another swing after the buzzer that also resulted in a popup.

Sanchez, the player with the lowest home run total of the eight participants, received criticism from Rays first baseman Logan Morrison for being invited, but put on a spectacular display in his round. His longest homer measured 483 feet, and he also hit a 411-foot screamer that had a max exit velocity of 116.0 mph.

Aaron Judge shows America his true star power while winning the Home Run Derby
MIAMI -- New York Yankees rookie Aaron Judge stole the show and won the 2017 Home Run Derby with shocking ease Monday night at Marlins Park. Judge dispatched Marlins slugger Justin Bour in the first round (23-22), Dodgers rookie sensation Cody Bellinger in the second round (13-12), and Twins manchild Miguel Sano in the finals (11-10).

The highlight of the night was, pretty clearly, Judge's first round matchup with Bour. The Miami first baseman put on an incredible show, swatting 22 home runs and bringing the decidedly pro-Marlins crowd to its feet. It was an amazing atmosphere. As someone who sat in the stands for Josh Hamilton's show in the 2008 Home Run Derby, I can say Bour got the crowd as amped as Hamilton did that night.

And yet, Judge came out and clubbed 23 home runs to beat Bour, and he did it with time to spare as well.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I decided to watch due to all the hype. It was interesting to say the least. But, I do not like the way they do it. It would have been more interesting if Judge would have met Bour in the finals.

I liked the idea of the clock, timeouts and extra time for HR over 440'. What I don't like is the fact they do not carry over the HR totals from one round to the next.

If you have 8 in the contest, after the first round eliminate the lowest 4. 2nd rd consists of the top 4. The 2 with the highest totals move on to the championship and at the end of the that, the guy with the highest total wins.

I think Bour could have given Judge a run for his money that way.