Darren Daulton, former Phillies All-Star catcher, dies at 55

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Darren Daulton, former Phillies All-Star catcher, dies at 55
Former Philadelphia Phillies All-Star catcher Darren Daulton has died, the team said Sunday. He was 55.

Daulton was diagnosed with cancer in 2013 and went into remission in 2015. He was a key part of and leader on the 1993 Phillies team that surprised by winning the National League pennant and lost to the Toronto Blue Jays in six games in the World Series.

"We played hard and did everything hard. It was fun, and that was what made us special," Daulton once said of the improbable '93 team.

Daulton was found to have two brain tumors in June 2013 and, after surgery to remove them, was diagnosed with glioblastoma, a highly malignant form of brain cancer, the following month. He underwent radiation, speech therapy and other treatment before announcing he was cancer-free in February 2015.

Glioblastoma has also claimed the lives of other notable baseball players, including Gary Carter, Tug McGraw and Johnny Oates.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sad news. Dude played the game hard. I hate it when I see people my age dying, man. Had a cousin who died of the same thing.

F*CK CANCER