Chicago Cubs Playoff Discussion: The path to repeat

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Cubs record in Lackey's last 15 starts - 12-3

He has lost 2x to Dodgers this season. First outing early in season. He gave up 4 hits, 3 walks and had 10 strikeouts. Gave up one earned run. Cubs shut out. Second outing (5/27), Cubs lost 5-0. He gave up all 5 runs on 6 hits.

He has a winning record on the road (8-6)

7-3 second half of the season

He has pitched in 3 WS so he knows pressure.

That's all I got. I love Lackey, he may not be the best option, but it wouldn't be hopeless if he started. If the Cubs score some runs any pitcher will have a chance.
I totally agree. Our pitching staff is in scramble mode, and I think the best path is;

-Lackey game 1, 110 pitches, doesn't matter the score. You have to rest the bullpen.
-Quintana game 2, he only threw 12 pitches last night.
-By game 3 at home, Lester starts on four days rest.

Someone from the bullpen HAS to step up and pitch well, otherwise this series will be over in 4 games.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Holy crap!!! That was one of the most stressful games I have ever watched. Our bullpen sucks. :frustrated:

the 5th inning was one of the most bizarre I have ever witnessed in a playoff game ... the Cubs need to send Matt Wieters a thank you card for his 3 gaffes leading to Cubs runs
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

In my view, this Cubs team is playing with house money now.

I didn't expect them to advance because of their bullpen issues. That they did anyway is a pleasant surprise, but hasn't changed my point of view on things. They sure are fun to watch and aren't shy about taking advantage of their opponents' miscues.

All that said, I fully expect Dodgers in five.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

breakdown of the pivotal moments of Game 5 :

15 pivotal moments in Cubs' 9-8 victory over Nationals in Game 5 of NLDS

I think it is a foregone conclusion Theo Epstein is as close to a deity in baseball as one could be ... the executive with a plan who has taken 2 historical franchises out of the dark ages and made them World Series Champions

I don't think anyone can dispute him being crowned the best at what he does

and he has a sense of humor too ... when asked after the Game 5 win over the Nationals about the Cubs NLCS pitching rotation his response was :

"Maybe we'll figure out a plan before the heavy drinking starts"

:clap:
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will qualify for the 100th time, I do not watch much baseball anymore, but I follow thru newspapers, other reading and sports talk radio. Is it me, in my limited fewing, but does every manager over manage games anymore? It seems do friggin specialized anymore. I am a numbers guy, but the shit they come up with now and follow, WTF? The platooning, the limited role of closers now (I know Davis had a 7 out stint last night), the shit seems pretty whacked out to me.

Give me football, hockey, hell even lacrosse anyday to watch over baseball.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I will qualify for the 100th time, I do not watch much baseball anymore, but I follow thru newspapers, other reading and sports talk radio. Is it me, in my limited fewing, but does every manager over manage games anymore? It seems do friggin specialized anymore. I am a numbers guy, but the shit they come up with now and follow, WTF? The platooning, the limited role of closers now (I know Davis had a 7 out stint last night), the shit seems pretty whacked out to me.
you are correct for the most part ... managers always trying to outhink situations and having it blow up on them on many occasions, but it doesn't stop them because of the 1 time it worked out fine

Cubs / Nats managing was won by Maddon who, in spite of a few questionable moves of his own, out managed Dusty by a country mile

Otis Day wrote:Give me football, hockey, hell even lacrosse anyday to watch over baseball.
substitute the Lingerie Football League in place of acrosse and I might be with you

my bitch about MLB is the season is too damn long ... beginning in April can be dicey with northern teams, but that's ok ... but in my opinion, the playoffs and World Series should be completed by Labor Day weekend in September
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:In my view, this Cubs team is playing with house money now.

I didn't expect them to advance because of their bullpen issues. That they did anyway is a pleasant surprise, but hasn't changed my point of view on things. They sure are fun to watch and aren't shy about taking advantage of their opponents' miscues.

All that said, I fully expect Dodgers in five.
Yep. I expect Dodgers in five as well. Bryzzo have stopped hitting for power. When that happens, this team REALLY struggles to score runs. I am hoping that the warm LA weather will help, and its supposed to be nice here in Chicago next week as well. We'll see. As you said, unless things change drastically, I don't see a way around our bullpen issues. They are really bad.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:breakdown of the pivotal moments of Game 5 :

I think it is a foregone conclusion Theo Epstein is as close to a deity in baseball as one could be ... the executive with a plan who has taken 2 historical franchises out of the dark ages and made them World Series Champions

and he has a sense of humor too ... when asked after the Game 5 win over the Nationals about the Cubs NLCS pitching rotation his response was :

Theo cracks me up! I heard that too. I remember last year when his quote was, "For now, Jed's in charge. I'm goin' on a bender." Just fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I will qualify for the 100th time, I do not watch much baseball anymore, but I follow thru newspapers, other reading and sports talk radio. Is it me, in my limited fewing, but does every manager over manage games anymore? It seems do friggin specialized anymore. I am a numbers guy, but the shit they come up with now and follow, WTF? The platooning, the limited role of closers now (I know Davis had a 7 out stint last night), the shit seems pretty whacked out to me.

I love baseball. Specifically National League style, WITHOUT the DH. Its always been my favorite. If you really pay attention, there is a crap load of strategy and maneuvering that goes on during the game. Its just a lot of fun.

I guess that's why they have different sports. A different flavor for everyone.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:breakdown of the pivotal moments of Game 5 :

Theo cracks me up! I heard that too. I remember last year when his quote was, "For now, Jed's in charge. I'm goin' on a bender." Just fantastic.
I have all the respect in the world for the guy

my hope is, once he gets bored after having rebuilt the Cubs to his satisfaction, and he is looking for a new challenge, he simply heads across town to take on the job of rebuilding the White Sox

then maybe we can really have that all Chicago World Series we've been teased with in the past only to have one or both of them fold up down the stretch
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I love baseball. Specifically National League style, WITHOUT the DH. Its always been my favorite. If you really pay attention, there is a crap load of strategy and maneuvering that goes on during the game. Its just a lot of fun.

I guess that's why they have different sports. A different flavor for everyone.
Used to be a die hard Cubs fan. Past 20 yrs I think I have acquired ADD. Baseball just got too slow for me to watch. I got pissed at the out of control guaranteed contracts as well. I have always enjoyed playoff baseball as long as it was cold weather teams.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I have no problem with the Cubs losing the first game. But I have two comments; 1) That play at the plate was horseshit. That was a great play was Contreras, and the runner should have been called out. 2) Puig is a jackass, and we need to send a reliever in to throw at his head. That dude is a mental case. Fuck him.
UOK
Site Admin

The game was whatever, and I expect Cubs to push it to at least 6, BUT Puig calling his shot was total bullshit.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:The game was whatever, and I expect Cubs to push it to at least 6, BUT Puig calling his shot was total bullshit.

to be fair, it wasn't any more bullshit than Rizzo screaming his "respect me!" bullshit against the Nationals after lucking into a bloop single on a ball that should have been caught

if he had hit a liner into the gap or one into the basket, cool ... some cheap shot bloop hit should have resulted in a silent thank you to the baseball gods rather than some grand declaration
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cubs offense on hiatus. Is that Kris Bryant with a K? Can't win when you do not hit. I put this loss on the lack of O.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Starting pitching was again a draw, meaning advantage Dodgers, who have a bullpen (as opposed to the Cubs, who have Wade Davis, half of Carl Edwards Jr. and a bunch of guys with arms). You can't win if you don't score runs, but you can't typically win if you average a walk an inning, either.
KFFL refugee.

docc
Head Coach

Lackey..serves..up..a balloon..

But mostly..1 run ain't going to win many games..
UOK
Site Admin

Didn't watch the game. No regrets.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:[video][/video]

the days of Don Meredith on MNF were good days indeed ... and it was actually enjoyable to listen to him and Gifford and Cosell

the 'tards and wanna be comedians they have vomiting on the airwaves during game days these days are insufferable ... and the sideline reporters, who have never been worthwhile or in any way useful IMO, have somehow gotten even less useful, which I didn't think was possible

I've been told it is a millennial thing and that I'm just an old fart that doesn't get it ... my response to that is there is nothing being aired that is worth getting ... so this old fart will remain faithful to his mute button
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

So much for that.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Eight runs in five games isn't likely to beat anyone, but that's especially true when your bullpen gives up fourteen runs in those same five games.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

Tough series loss, but the better team won, and it's not close IMO.

Still, dudes... 3 NLCS appearances and 1 WS championship in 3 years is fine by me :thumbsup:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Still, dudes... 3 NLCS appearances and 1 WS championship in 3 years is fine by me :thumbsup:
Can't argue with this. 23 other teams would love to be in the Cubs' place.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Tough series loss, but the better team won, and it's not close IMO.

Still, dudes... 3 NLCS appearances and 1 WS championship in 3 years is fine by me :thumbsup:
Yep. You can't pitch and hit like that, and expect to win an NLCS. If you would have told me five years ago that the Cubs would have 1 WS victory, and three NLCS appearances, I would have never believed it. All in all, a good year. Looking forward to many more.

GO CUBBIES!!!