Cubs Post Mortem - Needed Changes

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well, it's a few days after the Cubs got beat 4-1 in the NLCS. It didn't take long for Theo to lower the axe on Chris Bosio, which I guess makes sense. The bullpen was a disaster for most of the year. The only reliable relievers were Wade, Edwards, and Montgomery. Bosio couldn't seem to get the pitchers turned around. Also couldn't get their big trade Justin Wilson pointed in the right direction.

What other changes need to happen? Coaches, position players, pitchers?

Looking at the season, its clear that these are a few basic adjustments that should happen;

1. John Mailey needs to go. He couldn't help any of the hitters get out of their slumps. Schwarber has really struggled under his watch.
2. One more quality starter. You don't want to bring Lackey back, and I think you need to let Arrieta go to FA. He has regressed over the last year.
3. Rebuild the bullpen. You need a real set-up man. Edwards couldn't do it consistently under pressure. The Cubs wrecked Rondon over the last couple of years. You need someone.
4. It's time to give up on the Kyle Schwarber experiment. He's an AL DH. That's it. You've got some very talented fielders that are missing time, waiting for Kyle to start hitting home runs. He needs to be traded.

I'm sure there are a lot more. But in reality, its tweaking at this point. So much talent on the team. Looking forward to many playoff appearances moving forward.
UOK
Site Admin

I think the Cubs are going to bring in two new starters and maybe a couple of relievers. Wouldn't be shocked if spring training was bloated with potential bullpen arms.

They're going to make some trades, and oddly enough I don't think Schwarber will be one of them. He's a "culture" guy who puts asses in the seats. Thinking they'll trade depth - Almora, possibly Happ.

Ultimately, though? It's gonna be a big money offseason. They're going to open the checkbooks to get some arms in here.

I don't know what the hell you do with Justin Wilson.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well they just got rid of their bench coach ... Dave Martinez is now the Washington Nationals new manager
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin