2017 World Series - wildest I've ever seen

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am sleep deprived while waiting for a teleconference to begin ... I am sleep deprived because World Series Game 5 lasted 5 + hours and ended at almost 2:00am EST

what was supposed to be a pitchers duel between Clayton Kershaw and Dallas Keuchel instead became an extra inning slugfest ... and as the winning run scored in the bottom of the 10th I was spent

hitting records are being broken, top quality starting pitchers are not lasting until the 5th inning of games, bullpens have been used and abused ... and it has been amazing to watch

so I accept the loss of sleep as the price to pay for witnessing possibly the most interesting and competitive World Series in my lifetime as 2 teams that each won over 100 regular season games beat the living crap out of each other into the wee hours

Game 6 Tuesday night in LA ... should be a pitchers duel between Verlander and Hill ... we'll see
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I've watched precisely 0 of it, but I'm glad everybody's enjoying the craziness.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I've watched precisely 0 of it, but I'm glad everybody's enjoying the craziness.

some of the craziness from Game 5 :
You try to figure out how Kershaw gave back all of a four-run lead bottom of the fourth, and knocked out after just 3 2/3 innings, the shortest outing of his postseason career.

“It’s definitely a tough pill to swallow,’’ said Kershaw, who has given up eight home runs this postseason, the most in history.

It was a night the two teams put on one of the greatest hitting exhibitions in World Series history, combing for 28 hits, 16 for extra bases, with seven home runs by seven players off 14 pitchers. The Astros tied a World Series record with their five homers, and two clubs combined to set the World Series record with 22 homers this series - 15 that have either been a go-ahead homer or tied the game.

“Dude, I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve said this is the craziest game of my life,’’ Astros reliever Joe Musgrove said. “This is the craziest game of my life.’’

The game was so nutty that the Astros rallied from deficits of 4-0, 7-4 and 8-7 to tie the game, but blow leads of 11-8 and 12-9. It was so bizarre that Yuli Gurriel and Altuve hit game-tying three-run homers for the Astros in back-to-back innings, a feat so rare that there had been only four game-tying three-run homers in the last 40 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 811916001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:I've watched precisely 0 of it, but I'm glad everybody's enjoying the craziness.
Yeah, I haven't watched any of it either. I'm surrounded by people who were just rooting for the Cubs but are now suddenly Astros fans.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have watched 0 as well and was wondering what all the buzz was about this a.m. Co-workers excitedly telling me what happened and I really couldn't give a fuck. I think they were surprised I didn't get excited with their stories.

Most Cub fans I know are rooting for the 'stros as well. Get over it Cub fans, you gotta stick with the NL even though the Dodgers kicked your ass.

World Series to me means cold weather games so sunny LA and dome baseball doesn't interest me at all.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

final Game 7 was pretty calm and sedate compared to all the other games

congrats to the Houston Astros on their first World Series Championship

and in case anyone forgot, back in 2014 SI predicted the Astros would be the 2017 champs ... the June 2014 cover :

these issues are selling for $80 and up now ... wish I had kept mine, but why would I? I wasn't an Astros fan
George Carlin