White Sox 2018 Reg. Season General Discussion

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Opening Day is here, folks. Talk White Sox.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox and Matt Davidson team up to make Opening Day home run history
The White Sox offense exploded in Kansas City on Opening Day. Actually, only for the last two-thirds of the game, but man, did they go nuts.

After being held scoreless by Royals starter Danny Duffy for three innings, the White Sox scored five runs in the fourth and then three in the fifth, seventh and eighth, respectively, ending up with a 14-7 victory. They clubbed 14 hits in all, a figure that included three doubles and six home runs. Shortstop Tim Anderson hit two homers, but the star of the show was designated hitter Matt Davidson.

The Davidson box score: 4-4-3-5.

That doesn't do his game justice, however, because his three hits were all home runs.

Three Opening Day home runs is something. It's record-tying. Here's the list of players in MLB history to pull off this feat:

George Bell, 1988
Tuffy Rhodes, 1994
Dmitri Young, 2005
Matt Davidson, 2018

That's pretty damn fun.

The fun doesn't stop there, as the White Sox hitting six home runs as a team -- the other from Jose Abreu -- also tied the MLB record for Opening Day.

nice win to open the season, and hopefully is an omen of good things to come

I'm still not expecting much from them other than .500 or a tick above
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

from a good beginning, a shit pile formed

looks like the Sox are determined to compete for the bottom of the AL barrel

woo

hoo

:cry:

they did manage to actually beat Chris Sale and the Red Sox 1-0 where they had awesome pitching and great defense ... but they couldn't maintain that level of efort to follow up that performance

so 2018 will produce an occasional gem that shines amidst the pile of garbage of the majority of their season
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Once more from the top: How exactly did the Cleveland Indians lose when they out-hit the White Sox, 14-4?
CHICAGO -- Let's take this from the top.

The Indians out-hit the White Sox, 14-4, on Wednesday night and still lost. Their under-the-radar All-Star candidate, Trevor Bauer, struck out 12 and still lost. Their best baserunner, Rajai Davis, got so locked in on stealing second base that he didn't score the tying run on a double by Yonder Alonso in the eighth inning.

Michael Brantley, with three hits in his first four at-bats, hit into a game-ending double play against Joakim Soria with one out and two on in the ninth. Despite out-hitting the White Sox, 14-4, -- yes, you've heard that one before -- the Indians went 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine runners. Eight of those stranded runners were on second or third base.

And who did they lose to by the final score of 3-2? None other than the rebuilding, take-it-down-to-the-concrete-footers Chicago White Sox. The White Sox are 24-42 and that's after winning eight of their last 13 games.
White Sox winning ugly and I'll take whatever win I can

this probably would have been a good game to watch while listening to the Indians announcers getting themselves all wound up
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a snapshot of how the 2018 White Sox season has gone ... nice start then implosion

Cardinals embarrass White Sox 14-2; Fowler, Wong add insult to injuries

on their way to 100 losses

the only positive spin I can put on this is perhaps the White Sox are where the Astros were 5 years ago ... trading players for prospects as they build a better foundation so by 2021 they will begin to see the fruit of their rebuild labors

I'm not holding my breath but that is my hope
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a small glimmer of good news on the crappy White Sox :

Michael Kopech's dream comes true on a rainy night on the South Side

Michael Kopech impresses Nolan Ryan in rain-shortened White Sox debut

a dividend from the Chris Sale trade ready to start paying off
George Carlin