so bunting to beat the shift is now a whine-able offense?

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Chance Sisco's bunt vs. shift in 9th upsets Twins
Minnesota Twins players were upset Sunday that Baltimore Orioles catcher Chance Sisco bunted against the shift for a hit in the ninth inning of Minnesota's 7-0 victory.

With one out in the ninth, Sisco bunted toward the vacant left side of the infield to get on base. The Orioles eventually loaded the bases, but Jose Berrios worked out of trouble, getting Jonathan Schoop to pop out to the catcher and Adam Jones to strike out to complete the three-hit shutout.

Despite that, Twins second baseman Brian Dozier spoke out about Sisco's bunt after the game.

"I could've said something, but they have tremendous veteran leadership over there, with Chris Davis, Adam Jones and those guys," Dozier told reporters. "I'm sure they'll address it and move forward."

Berrios added to reporters: "I don't care if he's bunting. I just know it's not good for baseball in that situation. That's it."

Sisco told reporters he was doing what he could to get on base.

"Just trying to mess with the timing of the game," Sisco said, according to the Baltimore Sun. "He was kind of going through the lineup. Just trying to do what I can to get on base.

"They were playing the shift right there, so they kind of gave it to me. If they're going to shift, I have to take it right there in that spot. We got bases loaded right after that. We're a couple home runs away from tying the game -- bases loaded, [Jones] or [Schoop] hits a home run right there? We're a couple runs away from being back in that game."

Before his bunt in the ninth, Sisco had the only other hit for the Orioles to that point, a double in the third.

I don't see what it is the Twins are crying about

did they expect the Orioles to simply lay down and give up since they were down by 7?

and I think every player should bunt for hits against these shifts ... the Twins shifted in order to get an easier out ... so the Orioles were supposed to simply hit into their shift for an easy out?

fuck the Twins ... hope they lose 100 games
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Dozier is a punk bitch to begin with.

Having played 18+ years of baseball and then fairly high level softball, hitting where they ain't, regardless of how, is the name of the game.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am shocked that an MLB player would be dumb enough to say that. Baseball, strategy, that is all I hear. So his strategy is to hit to the side of the field that is crammed with the majority of the defense? Dumbass!!

I don't watch much baseball. But sunday watching the Cubs and seeing Schwarber pulling the ball into the shift on about every at bat, I was like WTF!! These guys have been playing for years, how do they not swing just a tad late to send the ball the opposite way? Blows my mind and is one of the little things that irritate about the game.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've seen Rizzo bunt against the shift many times to get on base, nothing wrong with it. Don't like it? Don't fucking shift.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If his argument is that the game was being conceded then they shouldn't have been in the shift in the first place if they were playing it straight up and station to station like the unwritten rules would say they were in that situation.

Dumb jock should have just shut his mouth.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Dozier said he could've said something, but he didn't. Somehow that's whining.

OK...
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RING4CHI wrote:Dozier said he could've said something, but he didn't. Somehow that's whining.

OK...
It was when he went to the media, multiple times to whine about it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:Dozier said he could've said something, but he didn't. Somehow that's whining.

OK...

Dozier DID say something ... to the media ... multiple times it appears

so Dozier is a whiner and a liar

and what exactly was it he was going to say to the Orioles?

"hey - you guys are losing ... no fair trying to get hits opposite our shift ... you're supposed to hit the ball to us so the game can end and I can go watch Sesame Street"

southdakbearfan wrote:
It was when he went to the media, multiple times to whine about it.
exactly
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin