This weather is bullshit.

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Worst spring in 30+ years. Over 24 games postponed (and maybe more before week's end), all because Old Man Winter decided the unceremoniously shart this cold snap on the country during the debut of the game of summer.

The Cubs played a game in icy rain and 20 degree windchill the other day and it led to 24 combined runs. C'mon now.

The MLB season started earlier than normal, and is now longer-running than typical thanks to changes in the CBA for more days between games, but that has been more of a benefit than anything (allowing more flexibility in dates to makeup games).

Anthony Rizzo summed it up nicely: "Playing in the cold sucks. I was thinking about this the other day. When you think of the Cubs and Cardinals, you think of a beautiful Saturday at Wrigley Field. You don't think about playing in 20 degrees."
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

This has been an abnormal spring, but it's an example of why the baseball season need to shortened to 144 games or even less regular season games than that. Start the season two weeks later and end it two weeks earlier than usual. The weather can be just abnormally shitty in late September. I've attended night games in September where first pitch was high 30s, maybe low 40s for temps.

Baseball is a game of rhythm, and the southern teams are getting an advantage of getting games in while northern teams are having multiple games in a row postponed. The Twins have played 12 games thus far this season. The Rangers and Astros have played 20 and 18, respectively.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it.

Total over-reaction to something that happens once every 30 years.

While you quote the games the southern teams are playing and rhythm. Northern teams that have been impacted by the weather and schedule are in first place in 50% of the division, so bullshit flag is thrown. And the scheduling issues cause more double headers, statistically speaking double headers favor the better, deeper team so sign me up for the same amount of games and more double headers because I want the best, deepest team to win the championship. Not the team with 3 all star pitchers.

I can also pretty much guarantee that the best teams in MLB will be playing in October so forget all this bullshit. That's the one positive to a 162 game schedule, what were you going to do with more or less that you didn't do with 162???????????