Mike Trout, Angels 'Finalizing' 12-Year, $430M Contract

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mike Trout, Angels 'Finalizing' Historic 12-Year, $430M Contract
Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are "close to finalizing" a record-breaking 12-year, $430 million contract, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Trout currently has two years and $66.5 million remaining on the six-year, $144.5 million deal he signed back in 2014. He was set to hit free agency following the 2020 season. Per Passan, the new deal would add on 10 years to Trout's current deal.

The 10-year extension will be worth $363.5 million and includes a full no-trade clause, according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times added that the contract would not include any opt-outs.
that's the type of contract Bryce Harper was seeking from Washington, but Harper is nowhere near the type of player Trout is
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Best baseballer of the '00s and his contract reflects that.

That said, I'm very surprised he didn't want to go play for the Phillies. Grew up a huge Phils fan, loves Philly and the Eagles, and obviously Harper's there.

But...yeah. For that kind of money...
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm thinking he has become acclimated to California and staying with the Angels did seem to be a priority

some say in spite of the $430 mil cost, he actually gave the Angels a home team discount by agreeing to it rather than testing free agency
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am sorry, but no athlete is worth that kind of money. One of the reasons I don't follow baseball like I did 20 yrs ago. The money is just too insane for me.

I agree he is the man in baseball, but no one needs that kind of money. I am all for get it and as much as you can while you can, but owners don't have to shell it out like this.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I try to ignore the money stuff because it has become obscene for most of these guys ... not just baseball, but all pro sports ... and if I focus on the vulgarity of player contracts, it will just piss me off but not allow any way to do anything about it

so I intentionally try to stay ignorant so I can actually enjoy the games I watch
George Carlin