NLCS - Nationals vs Cardinals

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cardinals destroyed the Braves pretty much after their 10 run first inning in their game 5 matchup ... the Nationals had a harder time in their game 5, but ended the Dodgers with 3 key HR's - 2 in the 8th to tie and a grand slam winner in the 10th

I think this series can go either way ... the Nationals have an edge in starting pitching so I guess I'll go with them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Aníbal Sánchez’s near-no-hitter gives Nationals 2-0 win over Cardinals in Game 1 of NLCS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -game-one/

ST. LOUIS — Some St. Louis Cardinals fans even clapped — because how could they not? — when Aníbal Sánchez was finally finished carving through their team at Busch Stadium on Friday night.

Sánchez came four outs away from throwing the third postseason no-hitter in baseball history. Instead, in a consolation he would certainly take, the 35-year-old righty led the Washington Nationals to a 2-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals. He gave up one hit and four base-runners in 7 2/3 innings. He got the game to Sean Doolittle, avoiding the Nationals’ middle relievers altogether, and the lefty retired all four batters he faced out of the bullpen.

And that effort, when totaled up, gave Washington a 1-0 lead in its first National League Championship Series.

not too shabby for the guy listed as the Nationals #4 pitcher
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nationals take 2-0 NLCS lead over Cardinals as Scherzer takes no-hitter into 7th

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washingt ... me-2-recap

ST. LOUIS – Max Scherzer followed Aníbal Sánchez's near no-hitter with a try of his own and the stingy Washington Nationals beat the St. Louis Cardinals 3-1 on Saturday for a 2-0 lead in the NL Championship Series.

Scherzer didn't allow a hit until Paul Goldschmidt led off the seventh inning with a single that left fielder Juan Soto played conservatively with a one-run lead. A day earlier, Sánchez held the Cardinals hitless until José Martínez had a pinch-single with two down in the eighth.

Sánchez and Scherzer also began the 2013 ALCS with consecutive no-hit bids of at least five innings for Detroit against Boston.

Scherzer, a St. Louis native who played college ball for the University of Missouri, struck out 11 and walked two in seven innings.

that's pretty wild having 2 guys go back to back like that ...
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Whatever it takes to down the Cardinals, I will happily applaud. Don't care who does it. Just beat the f&%$ing Cardinals. I couldn't stand to see them in the WS.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nats sweep Cards; DC in World Series for 1st time since ’33

https://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2 ... -of-cards/

WASHINGTON (AP) — As the Washington Nationals moved a party 86 years in the making from their ballpark’s infield to a booze-filled clubhouse, manager Dave Martinez paused near the dugout and thrust the silver NL Championship Series trophy overhead, to the delight of loud, delirious fans still in the stands.

Who would have thought this was possible five months ago, when the team was flailing, trade talk was swirling around Washington and folks figured Martinez’s job was in jeopardy?

From 19-31 during a mediocre May to the Fall Classic in an outstanding October — and the city’s first World Series appearance since 1933.

Extending their stunning turnaround, the wild-card Nationals got RBIs from middle-of-the-order stars Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto in a seven-run first inning Tuesday night, and Patrick Corbin’s 12-strikeout performance plus a trio of relievers helped hold on to beat the St. Louis Cardinals 7-4 in Game 4 to complete a sweep in the NLCS.

“Often, bumpy roads lead to beautiful places,” said Martinez, who underwent a heart procedure in September, “and this is a beautiful place.”

with their starting pitching, I think these Nats will be a challenge to whoever they face in the WS
George Carlin