Cubs & White Sox // Hot Stoves & Spring Training

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Figured we could get some ball talk going here. White Sox are signing a shitload of FAs while the Cubs wait to decide how much they want to get in a Kris Bryant trade. Both teams will be ~.500 this year, because Chicago sports are currently in hell.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

From an outsider looking in, what the hell are the Cubs doing? I know they mortgaged the team to win the title, 3 yrs ago, but Bryant is a good young player, has had his ups and downs. Not sure what they think they can get for him.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:37 pm From an outsider looking in, what the hell are the Cubs doing? I know they mortgaged the team to win the title, 3 yrs ago, but Bryant is a good young player, has had his ups and downs. Not sure what they think they can get for him.
Young former Rookie of the Year and MVP still on club control for 2 seasons, you bet they can get a lot for him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:42 pm
Otis Day wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:37 pm From an outsider looking in, what the hell are the Cubs doing? I know they mortgaged the team to win the title, 3 yrs ago, but Bryant is a good young player, has had his ups and downs. Not sure what they think they can get for him.
Young former Rookie of the Year and MVP still on club control for 2 seasons, you bet they can get a lot for him.
I'm a casual Yankees fan (long story, no I'm not a fair weathered fan asshole) and I don't watch a ton of baseball. If the Yankees somehow trade for Schwarber I'll lose my mind. My favorite player on my favorite team.

BUT.

There's something to what the Nationals did, or didn't do, with Bryce Harper. Why sign somebody to the uber mega deal with all that risk (and aren't baseball contracts guaranteed?) when it can be spread around to 2 or 3 above average guys and get a better overall team?

What the Cubs are potentially doing with Bryant makes sense. If they can get a boatload for him, including young starting pitching, then do it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Dallas Keuchel officially joins the White Sox

Nine days after the news broke, the Chicago White Sox made the signing of Dallas Keuchel official.

The team announced the contract as three years at $18 million each, with a team option for $20 million in 2023 (or a $1.5 million buyout). The contract was originally reported by several sources as having an vesting option attached to innings pitched, kicking in the fourth year automatically, but Monday’s White Sox announcement indicates that is not so.

“We viewed Dallas as one of the premier free agent pitchers available this winter, and so are thrilled to add him to this team and to our starting rotation,” White Sox GM Rick Hahn says. “Dallas is a great competitor, who we foresee throwing valuable innings in meaningful games for us over the next several years and leading our entire pitching staff through his example day-in and day-out.”

The move solidifies the White Sox rotation, offering balance with a second lefty (teaming with back-end option Gio González, signed just yesterday to a one-year deal, second-year option). It also adds experience to a core-four group of righthanders (Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo López, Dylan Cease, Michael Kopech) who average just 42 starts in their major league careers.
I love this ... solid winning vet to help not only on the field but by aiding the younger guys
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

What a co worker and I have found out is that the above is purely rumor. there have been other non-existent trades and wild rumors on that site.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:40 pm What a co worker and I have found out is that the above is purely rumor. there have been other non-existent trades and wild rumors on that site.
Yep. Fake news
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox take to Twitter to troll Nolan Arenado trade buzz

The White Sox tweeted out news of their latest acquisition Friday.

And no, it's not Nolan Arenado.

In a seeming response to a Twitter user's insistence of an impending trade that would bring Arenado to the South Side, the White Sox tweeted out their own batch of "breaking news," going as far to mimic that Twitter user's handle of @MLBIntel.

Official: atWhiteSox has acquired tacos, as well as chips and guacamole, in exchange for cash considerations.

troll the trolls ... good stuff

if by some slim chance this trade does happen, I will smile ... I'm guessing it is b.s.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin