Baseball 2015 - Cubs, Sox, whatever

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Controversial rule banning collisions at home plate approved
Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY Sports 3:21 p.m. EST February 24, 2014

TAMPA -- Major League Baseball implemented an experimental, controversial rule Monday to protect catchers, prohibiting baserunners from initiating deliberate collisions at home plate in hopes of preventing concussions and injuries.

Tony Clark, executive director of the Major League Players Association, cautions that the rule will be on an experimental basis only for the 2014 season, particularly after hearing a mixed reaction from veteran catchers.

"I disagree with it,'' Boston Red Sox catcher A.J. Pierznyski told USA TODAY Sports over the weekend. "I understand why they're doing it, but next, they're going to tell us that you can't slide into the guy at second base.

"It's one of those things, as a big-league catcher, I signed up for it. You never want to see guys get hurt, and you never want to see guys go down because of it, but it's part of the game you signed up for.

"There are going to be plays at the plate, late in games, where you need to block the plate and try to keep that guy from scoring, saving save a run that ultimately gets your team into the playoffs.

"And not given that opportunity is unfair. I understand why the rule is made, but I wish there was a better way to go about it.''

The rule, 7.13, was born in large part after San Francisco Giants All-Star catcher Buster Posey broke his leg in a violent home-plate collision with Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins.

The role, which also prevents catchers from blocking home plate without possession of the ball. If the catcher impedes the baserunner without the ball, the runner will be automatically safe. And if the baserunner goes out of his way to deliberately initial contact with the catcher, he will be called out.

The home-plate collision will also be subject to instant replay review.

more - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... e/5783449/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Originally published February 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM | Page modified February 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Stray dog Hank becomes big hit in Brewers' baseball camp
A rookie at the Milwaukee Brewers' spring training may be the early lock for camp MVP -- Most Valuable Pet.

By GENARO C. ARMAS
AP Sports Writer

PHOENIX —

The most popular member of the Milwaukee Brewers at spring training is a rookie who comes with pedigree, an excellent clubhouse presence and good legs.

Four legs, in fact. Along with a button nose and scruffy, white fur.

Hank the dog may be the early lock for camp MVP -- Most Valuable Pet.

"Yeah, he's making a pretty big impact, which I've got to say is pretty cool," pitcher Yovani Gallardo said. "It's getting a lot of attention, for sure. I think he likes it, too."

The dog days for the Brewers arrived Feb. 17 when the stray pooch wandered on to the team's complex looking a little roughed up.

Team employees took him to a veterinarian for a checkup and bath. The vet spotted a tail injury and some gray markings around his right hind leg, a sign that it may have been run over by a vehicle.

The vet estimated Hank is around 2 years old. No definitive word on the breed -- he looks like a bichon frise mix.

The Brewers quickly took in the dog and named it "Hank" after baseball great Hank Aaron, who began his career in Milwaukee.

And no bones about it -- the unofficial mascot has been treated like a Hall of Famer ever since.

One day, coach Ed Sedar went to the food line to get Hank's favorite breakfast dish, scrambled eggs. Barely a week into camp, Hank was already assigned No. 1 for a doggy jersey.

Unlike some temperamental pitchers, Hank doesn't mind being on a short leash. There was Hank posing for a snapshot in the clubhouse with righty Brandon Kintzler.

Talk about a real publicity hound.

"I'm second banana now," tweeted Bob Uecker, the club's popular broadcaster.

Signs were put up in the area about the dog, seeking his owner. The team publicized Hank's arrival on social media, and he soon became a local celebrity.

"I was in Europe this week on business and I had four texts from my wife," team owner Mark Attanasio said, "and three of them were 'What can I do to adopt Hank the Dog?'"

In Hank's case, walks are good.

Sauntering around Maryvale Baseball Park for some exercise. Meandering in between the practice diamonds. Strolling on a leash during infield practice with Gallardo.

"It's awesome, didn't miss one groundball," Gallardo said.

Gallardo owns a boxer that didn't make the trip to Arizona, so Hank has been a more than suitable spring sub.

Hank doesn't stop for autographs, but will gladly turn over if someone wants to rub his belly. When the adorably furry face isn't drawing attention, the dog takes breaks in the stadium operations office, not far from water and food dishes. Staff members take turns housing Hank for the evening.

If the local owner isn't found, Hank appears to be a lock to be adopted by the club and make the trip north to Miller Park.

more - http://seattletimes.com/html/pets/20229 ... hedog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Apparently the Bears play baseball?

"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

Cubs have been decent so far this season, having a meltdown game today on defense/the mound. Fuck the Cardinals, also. White Sox are looking mostly good. Abreu is a leviathan.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The Iowa Cubs are where it's at.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs honoring 100 years of Wrigley ... sort of :

Wrigley Field mural accidentally uses an image of Comiskey Park
Cubs gonna Cubs.

By: Nate Scott May 15, 2014 9:15 pm ET

It’s the 100th birthday of Wrigley Field this year, and to celebrate the iconic ballpark the Cubs have commissioned a series of murals around the park that honor its history. The above photo is of one of those murals, and is meant to commemorate Charles Lindbergh’s visit to Wrigley.

Only problem is, no one knows if Lindbergh ever visited Wrigley. Also that is a photo of Comiskey Park.

C’mon Cubs.

more - http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/wrigley ... iskey-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:rofl:
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a laser beam home run ... off the bat and out of the park in a blink of an eye
Miami Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton is known for his towering home runs; they stand out as visual confirmations of his prodigious power.

But sometimes that strength in put on display in different ways. Monday night against the visiting Chicago Cubs, Stanton hit his 19th home run of the season in an unexpected manner.

Pitchers are keen on staying away from Stanton -- he has been intentionally walked 14 times this season, most in the NL and almost thrice as many as the eight players tied for second with five -- and he frequently sees pitches low and away in attempts to keep his bat at bay.

That is what Cubs right-hander Jason Hammel was trying to do with his 1-1 pitch in the first inning Monday night. But Hammel hung it about chest-high over the middle of the plate, and Stanton went and got it. What appeared to be a sure-fire double instead stayed in air, just clearing the 335 sign in right field for a two-run shot.

more, with video - http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/story/ ... ght-061614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Now that was a missile.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

If all goes according to plan, the top two prospects in the Chicago Cubs' system will be in Des Moines on Thursday.

Third baseman Kris Bryant is expected to join the Iowa Cubs on Thursday to make his long-awaited triple-A debut.
Full story, expected to be updated later: Chicago Cubs' No. 2 prospect headed to Des Moines
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Clayton Kershaw's no-hitter was as close to perfect as it gets
By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer
June 19, 2014 1:54 am ET

Dodgers ace and two-time Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw made history on Wednesday night, throwing his first career no-hitter and striking out a career-high 15. The poor Rockies were on the wrong end of his dominance.

Kershaw did not allow a hit and he also did not walk or hit a batter. No, Colorado's only base-runner of the night came on this Hanley Ramirez throwing error leading off the seventh inning:

That's it. That's all that stood between Kershaw and a perfect game. But make no mistake, this was about as perfect a game as a pitcher can pitch.

In addition to the 15 strikeouts, Kershaw allowed only three balls to be hit out of the infield -- Brandon Barnes flew out to center in the first inning, Troy Tulowitzki flew out to left in the third inning, and Charlie Culberson flew out to right in the ninth inning. That's it. Every other out was recorded on the infield.

By Game Score, a metric that slaps a single number on a pitcher's performance based on hits and innings and runs and strikeouts and everything else, Kershaw's no-hitter was the second best pitched nine-inning game in baseball history and the best pitched no-hitter in history.

more - http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... as-it-gets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

WSCR did a nice piece on that Kershaw game this AM, playing Vin Scully calling the last 12 outs (which in itself is a treasure). And they added in a recording of Scully describing Kershaw's curve the first time he saw it in training camp in 2008 (which was cool). And then they played recordings of Scully calling Sandy Koufax' perfect game at Wrigley in 1965 ... which was really incredible. One of the best radio segments I've heard in a long time. Very well done.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Though I'm not a Chicago Cubs fan, they do have one hell of a prospect in Kris Bryant. Five hits since being called up to Triple-A Iowa, five home runs. Batting just .238 at Iowa, but has a slugging percentage of .952. He does have nine strikeouts in 21 at bats, but he is showing great patience at the plate. I think only one of the strikeouts as happened on an 0-2 or 1-2 count.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm also not a Cubs fan, but they have a nice young pitcher on their roster now too - Jake Arrieta

they will probably either :

* burn him out as they did Pryor and Wood

OR

* trade him to a team contending later in the season
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Tim Lincecum pitches second career no-hitter vs. Padres

Associated Press
June 26, 2014 1:06am EDT

SAN FRANCISCO — Tim Lincecum's days of dominance may be in the past. That doesn't mean he can't dial up flashes of the Freak he once was — especially against the San Diego Padres.

Lincecum pitched his second no-hitter against the Padres in less than a year, allowing only one runner Wednesday and leading the San Francisco Giants to a 4-0 win.

"I've always been that guy who will kind of go for the strikeout," Lincecum said. "I think my first no-hitter I had 13, so I think I was going for those a little bit more often."

"Today I tried to be a little bit more efficient and take what they were going to give me. They were giving me a lot of groundballs and a lot of pop flies, so I was just going to try to keep attacking the way that I was," he said.

Lincecum totally shut down the weakest-hitting team in the majors, striking out six and walking one in a 113-pitch outing — 35 fewer than he needed last July 13 against the Padres in his first no-hitter.

Lincecum retired the final 23 batters after walking Chase Headley in the second inning, relying much more on his off-speed stuff than his fastball. Though the Padres hit a few balls hard, San Francisco fielders didn't need to make any exceptional plays to preserve Lincecum's gem.

more - http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... nts-padres" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I'm also not a Cubs fan, but they have a nice young pitcher on their roster now too - Jake Arrieta

they will probably either :

* burn him out as they did Pryor and Wood

OR

* trade him to a team contending later in the season
Not a baseball fan, but it seems as if Arrieta did it again last night. No hitter into the 8th. He is just making his way off the team performing like this.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs give up their prime starting pitcher to a team with a chance to win big :

A's trade with Chicago Cubs for Jeff Samardzija gets good reviews

the A's were no slouches before this trade ... I'm thinking this may be enough to make the A's the no question solid AL favorite for the World Series
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good for Samardzija. he gets to pitch for a winner now and get some run support. Have kind of followed him since ND. Would have rather saw him play football.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jose Abreu - the real deal

when the White Sox signed him, I wondered how long time first baseman Paul Konerko would deal with being replaced, or if he was going to be trade bait ... Kornerko has been solidly behind Abreu, working with him well in spring training, and doing his best to guide him through his MLB rookie season ... pretty cool watching an old time vet winding down his career working so well to help guide the man who replaced him

I was hopeful Abreu would be good when he was signed ... I am happily surprised he has been so far and away better than just good

too bad the White Sox as a team are so mediocre this year or Abreu would be seriously mentioned as an AL MVP candidate ... pretty sure he is going to run away with the AL Rookie of the Year
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Yankees get Chase Headley from the Padres :

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon ... te-depaula" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a career .260 hitter but I think it is his defense the Yankees wanted/needed
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Indians' Ryan Raburn's embarrassing error turns into ‘home run’ for Royals Mike Moustakas

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1880111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(gotta go to the link to see the video}
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Emotional Frank Thomas speech a Hall of Fame highlight

he was the big thumper, and a reliable first baseman, for the White Sox for quite some time ... congrats to him for entering the Hall of Fame

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so Justin Verlander now the 3rd (maybe 4th) best pitcher on the Tigers with their acquisition of David Price? and now the AL Championship series is set as Oakland loads up with Jon Lester and Johnny Gomes to make A's vs Tigers the expected AL matchup?

it is the NL where it now seems things can be interesting all the way down to the wire

Playoff contenders load up on dizzying Deadline day
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Cubs call up top prospect Javy Baez from Iowa. Will join the team on Tuesday.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Granted, it was an Iowa Cubs game and not a Chicago Cubs game, but I got to help lead the crowd in the 7th inning stretch the other night.
UOK
Site Admin

It's a shame we won't see Bryant up this year, but he should be a day-1 starter next year. Cubs are going to get really good really quickly. I'm excited.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It's a shame we won't see Bryant up this year, but he should be a day-1 starter next year.

so which pennant contender will he be traded to in July 2015?
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Soler has murdered a baseball tonight. 423 feet or something. Just obliterated.
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't get this thread. it says "baseball" - but then mentions the Cubs and Sox.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!