so who has had the best off season - Sox or Cubs?

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

interesting acquisitions and some retooling of both squads ... and for the first time in a long time there can be a discussion about how both of Chicago's baseball teams have improved themselves, and along with it, their prospects for 2015

so who is ahead of this particular arms race? follow the links .. start in December and work your way to now .. lots of stuff

Chicago Cubs Transactions

Chicago White Sox Transactions

the Cubs have the biggest name pickup so far, but I give the overall edge to the Whte Sox at the moment
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

White Sox had a great offseason but it was under the radar because, frankly, the Cubs have had a bigtime offseason with the Joe Maddon and Lester acquisitions. With their young bright future appearing to be the focus, things are definitely exciting for the Cubs for the first time in many years. The Sox I think are happy to let the Cubs get the hype, but they've made some huge moves.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

As a Cubs fan, I am a bit biased, but I think the Northsiders have had the best off season. Yes Maddon and Lester were huge pick-ups. But you also have to consider Jason Hammel, Dexter Fowler and Miguel Montero. The Cubs have added some very key veteran pieces around an incredibly young and talented core of players. I will give the Sox their due, but I think the Cubs have had the best off season.
UOK
Site Admin

Hearing they might land Shields, too.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Hearing they might land Shields, too.

I think he'd look better in a White Sox uniform :D
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Cubs and it's not even close.

Joe Maddon + Jon Lester = W.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

No way the Cubs could land Shields and Lester in the same off season. I know they have a lot of money to spend, but that would be ridiculous. However if Shields has an affinity for Joe Maddon, he might make it happen. That would be a sick rotation;

Lester
Shields
Hammel
Arrietta
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

At only 13th in the league in payroll, and $76M below the lux cap, the Cubs could easily add Shields on a four year deal. The trick is going to be managing payroll when all of their young players come out of their rookie deals in another 3-4 years. I can understand Theo's hesitation, but if you can get that kind of rotation, with that many cheap talented rookies, for three years...I think you do it. If you wait until next year's crop of FA pitchers, you've lost a year of cheap talent.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:At only 13th in the league in payroll, and $76M below the lux cap, the Cubs could easily add Shields on a four year deal. The trick is going to be managing payroll when all of their young players come out of their rookie deals in another 3-4 years. I can understand Theo's hesitation, but if you can get that kind of rotation, with that many cheap talented rookies, for three years...I think you do it. If you wait until next year's crop of FA pitchers, you've lost a year of cheap talent.

valid point

teams have to realize when their opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle is there for the taking ... look at the Washington Nationals a few years back when they had Strasburg on an innings limit, and handled that so stupidly he wasn't on their post season roster ... they had the bats that year and with Strasburg, the rotation ... and they mismanaged it and blew it

the Cubs pull off a deal with Shields, it will give them a full 3 year window to do what all Cubs fans have been waiting so long for ... they currently have the $$$ ... now is their chance at lightning in a bottle
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sorry Cub fans :

James Shields signing latest move by Padres, baseball’s most changed team
On the day the World Series ended in October, what might the odds for “Which team will undergo the biggest offseason overhaul?” have been? The Boston Red Sox seemed to be a good candidate, given their last-place finish, deep pockets and cadre of prospects from which to trade. Put them at 5-to-1. The Philadelphia Phillies, also coming off a last-place 2014, had an aging core that included some pieces that could be valuable to contenders and a need to get younger, and fast. Put them at 6-to-1. The Chicago Cubs represented a world of possibility, with money and prospects and a salivating fan base. The Atlanta Braves, under new general manager John Hart, wanted to break down a middling nucleus and point the franchise to the opening of a new ballpark in 2017. All seemed like contenders.

Who, then, would have taken the San Diego Padres?

On Monday morning, SB Nation reported that the Padres had agreed to a four-year deal with right-hander James Shields, expected to be worth $72-$76 million. Not only would this answer the most intriguing questions remaining this offseason – When will Shields sign, with whom and for how much? – but it completed a radical transition under General Manager A.J. Preller.
George Carlin