Cubs vs. Sox Shit Talk Thread: Circlejerk of Circlejerks

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I am not expecting much. I think the Cubs are on that night as well, up against LA, so I might catch 10-15 mintues of the the Bears debacle.

I want to remind everyone, this is a bad team. We are already decimated with injuries to our WR group. Cutler is going to have the 2010 receiving corps to throw to for the first 4-5 games of the season. I am slowly beginning to revise my predictions downward. I see optimism being bandied about, and fear for your sanity. Expect the worst and hope for the best. However in the immortal words of Eomer from The Two Towers, "don't look to hope, it has foresaken these lands..."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I am not expecting much. I think the Cubs are on that night as well, up against LA, so I might catch 10-15 mintues of the the Bears debacle.

I want to remind everyone, this is a bad team.
negative nancy

but, you ARE a Cubs fan, so I guess you should know about bad teams, so I suppose we should consider your assessment of the Bears with a bit of seriousness
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I am not expecting much. I think the Cubs are on that night as well, up against LA, so I might catch 10-15 mintues of the the Bears debacle.

negative nancy

but, you ARE a Cubs fan, so I guess you should know about bad teams, so I suppose we should consider your assessment of the Bears with a bit of seriousness
I am well versed in bad teams. More than that, I understand the psyche of bad teams. You can tell when a team is bad just by their demeanor. The Bears are not good. They haven't fallen into the really bad category yet, but when they start 1-5, watch their demeanor change. They will look like the 2009-2014 Cubs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Last edited by Boris13c on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:

negative nancy

Much rather be a Cubs fan than a Sox fan right now :wink: :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote: negative nancy

Much rather be a Cubs fan than a Sox fan right now :wink: :lol:
Only took 100 years - but good for you. As opposed to my dearly departed Cubs fan grandfather - maybe you'll see a trophy in your lifetime.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote: Much rather be a Cubs fan than a Sox fan right now :wink: :lol:
Only took 100 years - but good for you. As opposed to my dearly departed Cubs fan grandfather - maybe you'll see a trophy in your lifetime.
Please :lol: Since 1900 the White Sox have one more championship ring than the Chicago Cubs. One. But really, enjoy being the red-headed stepchild of Chicago sports. In a city that ADORES their teams and more-or-less sells out on a nightly basis (Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks/Cubs) the White Sox are in the bottom 13% in MLB attendance. That's laughable.
UOK
Site Admin

I've never had a problem with Sox fans, but god damn are they self-righteous. No fanbase feels more slighted. Permanently butthurt.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I've never had a problem with Sox fans, but god damn are they self-righteous. No fanbase feels more slighted. Permanently butthurt.

hey now ... not all Sox fans are dirtbags ... just like all Cubs fans aren't complete losers

I enjoyed the Sox/Cubs rivalry while growing up ... problem then was the only time they ever played against each other was in charity games as there was no inter-league play then

for some reason though, that Sox/Cubs friendly almost sibling like rivalry has now become less fun ... I noticed that last time I was back visiting family ... and I don't see why it had to go the negative road other than people in general becoming more asshole like
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I've never had a problem with Sox fans, but god damn are they self-righteous. No fanbase feels more slighted. Permanently butthurt.
I've always been indifferent to the White Sox and White Sox fans, heck I actually liked a lot of their players growing up (Ventura, Ordonez, loved Mark Buehrle) but in the past 8 years I have come to realize just how petulant they are. Mention the Cubs and the first words out of their mouth are '100 years' or 'drunk fanbase' or 'not real fans'. Hippo's reply is a pristine example. It's comical; they are the living epitome of 'little brother syndrome'.

They have 1 more ring than the Chicago Cubs in the past 100+ years. 1. The New York Yankees they are not.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Please :lol: Since 1900 the White Sox have one more championship ring than the Chicago Cubs. One. But really, enjoy being the red-headed stepchild of Chicago sports. In a city that ADORES their teams and more-or-less sells out on a nightly basis (Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks/Cubs) the White Sox are in the bottom 13% in MLB attendance. That's laughable.

Yes, but I was alive when it happened.

I freely admit that my dislike for the Cubs is irrational* - and that the support the White Sox receive (or don't) is embarrassing. That said - I look forward to bathing in the tears of Cub's fans after yet another 'oh so close' season that ends in disappointment.

If anybody needs me - I'll be hanging out in the 3/4 empty stadium over in one of the shittiest parts of the city (who am I kidding, there's very little chance you'll ever find me there). I haven't really been a fan since the Ventura/Black Jack/Frank Thomas days, and while I did greatly enjoy the World Series win - I can't bring myself to watch baseball anymore.

So enjoy your success Cub's fans. When they do actually win it - then they'll at least have earned the right for you to talk all the shit you're talking now.

*I take that back -As someone who lived on Irving Park for many years I can think of hundreds of reasons to dislike them.

G08
Hall of Famer

What shit are 'we' talking? That it's better to be a Cubs fan than a Sox fan right now?

That's a factual statement.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As a person who used to follow the Cubs but now finds baseball a huge friggin bore, I laugh at both Sox and Cub fans. Pretty much all my friends are Cub fans and don't see Wrigley as just a huge beer garden or vacation destination. They would rather the Cubs remain a losing team and stay in Wrigley than become a winner in a more updated and kick ass ballpark. I just don't get that logic. Sox fans are so friggin fickle, they bitch more than most fans but don't put up the $$ to support the team. I used to love watching the Sox as well back in te day with Soderholm, Lamar Johnson, Jorge Orta then thru Chet Lemon and into the 90s. I have no feelings for baseball now and the salaries and length of the season are just too much for me anymore.
G08
Hall of Famer

I view Wrigley Field the same way I view Fenway Park and viewed old Yankee Stadium. There's a reason professional baseball players walk around Wrigley taking pictures when it's their first time there: it's a majestic treasure.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Yes, but I was alive when it happened.
All due respect, that was a lazy response. It's like you wanted to be radical, but your mom wouldn't let you.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it's kind of bitchy in here
docc
Head Coach

I was born when my parents lived near Maxwell st..dago kid. We moved to Harlem/Fullerton area. I was a fan of both..and all teams EXCEPT the Chicago Cardinals. Probably because they played against the Bears..and neither Sox or Cubs played each other back then.

I am a Cubs fan..and Sox except when they play each other for real..then it's Cubs. When Sox trained here in Tucson..I went to spring games wearing Sox hat and Cubs shirt..

But the fucking Cardinals followed me to Arizona..but luckily they are in the shit hole..Phoenix. There is no love between Tucson and Pee Hole Necks...
MoFugger
Head Coach

docc wrote:I was born when my parents lived near Maxwell st..dago kid. We moved to Harlem/Fullerton area. I was a fan of both..and all teams EXCEPT the Chicago Cardinals. Probably because they played against the Bears..and neither Sox or Cubs played each other back then.

I am a Cubs fan..and Sox except when they play each other for real..then it's Cubs. When Sox trained here in Tucson..I went to spring games wearing Sox hat and Cubs shirt..

But the fucking Cardinals followed me to Arizona..but luckily they are in the shit hole..Phoenix. There is no love between Tucson and Pee Hole Necks...
I love you :D
Road
Pro Bowler

I grew up liking both teams. Humboldt Park area kid here so Cubbies 1st when they’re playing each other. I left Chicago before a lot of Sox fans became anal.
docc
Head Coach

Road..I was Sayre and Riis park kid.. My Dad was Park Dist employee..so I spent a lot of summers at Humboldt..Riis..but lived a block from Sayre Park..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:it's kind of bitchy in here
I certainly didn't mean to create such a stir. But it is the Cubs/Sox rivalry. I should have known.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

asked...
G08 wrote:What shit are 'we' talking?
answered...
G08 wrote:it's a majestic treasure

Seriously though - the real shit-talking I'm talking about is from radio personalities like Spiegel or Bernstein - who have held up the Cubs as an example of proper team building for the last two seasons - despite the fact that as of today they haven't won shit.

MoFugger wrote:All due respect, that was a lazy response. It's like you wanted to be radical, but your mom wouldn't let you.
It might be lazy, but its also true. That series win is the only reason I or any other Sox fan has been able to raise our heads up out of our 'red-headed step child of Chicago Sports teams bunker'. I've seen every team in Chicago win a title - except the Cubs. Thats one of the few joys I have in my life - and I'm going to be very disappointed when it goes away.

wab
Mod

I'm just gonna re-title this and move it to the appropriate forum.
UOK
Site Admin

Alright folks, here's the hub for all of your Cubs vs. Sox needs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Alright folks, here's the hub for all of your Cubs vs. Sox needs.

this shit did go weird pretty fast didn't it?

started out innocently enough
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah well that's how it goes.

I will say this for the Sox:

1. Their ballpark is nice and the location for it isn't THAT bad (the immediate location anyway; travel a few blocks and it gets kinda eh).
2. The Cell is very convenient to get to.
3. The food is very good, so I've heard.
4. The team tries to be competitive every year.
5. Their uniforms aren't bad.
6. They are an unappreciated franchise.

However, my points against them:

1. Their ballpark isn't anything special, either. It's a very nice park, but there's not any charm to it, really. Not many ballparks have it.
2. Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault and has not gracefully handled the Sox or the Bulls. Both teams have kind of waned over the last decade into this quagmire of mediocrity -- good enough to be in the mix, but never good enough to go the next level. It's not intentional or a poor philosophy, but the refusal to allow teams to fail organically has set both franchises back, notably the Sox.
3. Their TV and Radio crews are abhorrent. Ed Farmer has the same intonation in every single one of his calls, and I absolutely can't stand it. It's like listening to a small college football team's broadcast. And we all know how absolutely abysmal Hawk has gotten. That guy is insufferable and his whining, ump-blaming, meatheaded irreverence paints all Sox fans in a bad light.
4. Their fans won't tolerate criticism because they, like the stupid Cardinals elitist buffoons 5 hours south, immediately point to "100 years LOL" in times of need. Especially when drinking is involved, all it takes is 10 minutes before one Sox asshole comes out with either Century Club Cubs or 2005 HAHA LOSERS ON DA NORT' SYDE! bullcrap. It's like man, I can't even talk to you about this because you're bound and determined to shove your Sox dick into my ear without provocation.

-----

Now the Cubs.

Points for:

1. Wrigley is the definition of baseball charm, and the ballpark ensconsed within the neighborhood is singular in the sports world.
2. They've done an incredible job of rising from the ashes and turning their team around gloriously after several years intentionally letting the old regime die in a controlled burn.
3. Wrigley is eventually going to be a pretty badass little park with modern facilities & all the neighborhood trappings to give it an updated, safe, and shiny facade.
4. The team is on fucking fire right now, and the young players are here and destroying teams. It may not make for a title run, but these guys are all very, very young and there's more prospects on the way. Free agents will want to come to the team in coming seasons and if the stars align, championships could be in play.

Points against:

1. Wrigley was kind of a glorified dump for a long time. I found my experiences there very poor. Bathrooms were abysmal, seating was horribly uncomfortable, and everything was Busch-stadium priced with a bush-league product on the field. I went to the bleachers for a game a few weeks ago and I gotta say, the turnaround has been remarkable, but before that? Not impressed at all by the Friendly Confines.
2. Cubs fans drunkenly filled Wrigley for years, and their perceived indifference made the fan base look baseball-stupid (not true at all, it's just a great place to watch a game and beer is delicious on a hot day).
3. It took a long time for the Cubs to get to where they are right now. Years of bad, and I mean bad teams. 100 years is meaningless when you show you're making a run, but the team warned us when the Trib sold them and they hired Theo - get ready for the shit, fans. And it was shit. Thankfully the demolition worked.
4. Getting to Wrigley from anywhere outside of Chicago sucks ass. If I lived in the city it wouldn't be that bad - hop a few trains, biggity bam, you're there - but from down south, it's bad enough I have to hoof it the couple hours to even smell Chicago, much less take another 2 hours of trains/walking to get to the ballpark. It's a long, long commute. Just my personal problem, though.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Yeah well that's how it goes.
I'm going to take a crack at a response to show Sox & Cubs fans CAN peacefully co-exist and share thoughts

UOK wrote:I will say this for the Sox:

1. Their ballpark is nice and the location for it isn't THAT bad (the immediate location anyway; travel a few blocks and it gets kinda eh).
2. The Cell is very convenient to get to.
3. The food is very good, so I've heard.
4. The team tries to be competitive every year.
5. Their uniforms aren't bad.
6. They are an unappreciated franchise.
I agree with all except #1 ... I think they managed to build a very generic stadium to replace old Comiskey ... it has no soul

UOK wrote:However, my points against them:

1. Their ballpark isn't anything special, either. It's a very nice park, but there's not any charm to it, really. Not many ballparks have it.
2. Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault and has not gracefully handled the Sox or the Bulls. Both teams have kind of waned over the last decade into this quagmire of mediocrity -- good enough to be in the mix, but never good enough to go the next level. It's not intentional or a poor philosophy, but the refusal to allow teams to fail organically has set both franchises back, notably the Sox.
3. Their TV and Radio crews are abhorrent. Ed Farmer has the same intonation in every single one of his calls, and I absolutely can't stand it. It's like listening to a small college football team's broadcast. And we all know how absolutely abysmal Hawk has gotten. That guy is insufferable and his whining, ump-blaming, meatheaded irreverence paints all Sox fans in a bad light.
4. Their fans won't tolerate criticism because they, like the stupid Cardinals elitist buffoons 5 hours south, immediately point to "100 years LOL" in times of need. Especially when drinking is involved, all it takes is 10 minutes before one Sox asshole comes out with either Century Club Cubs or 2005 HAHA LOSERS ON DA NORT' SYDE! bullcrap. It's like man, I can't even talk to you about this because you're bound and determined to shove your Sox dick into my ear without provocation.
1 . agreed - the fact their stadium is nothing special is what makes it suck ... blindfold an average fan and take him to that stadium, and the only way they would know they are in Chicago is the Sox logos ... it is generic and unimaginative

2. agreed - Reinsdorf may indeed have good intentions, but he simply does not have his finger on the pulse of the teams ... even when he hires GM's who should know something, they still don't seem to get it quite right ... the fact everything came together for the 2005 Sox was just a happy accident more than a strategic plan I think

3. agreed - I hate the Sox announcers ... Hawk Harrelson should be fed through a wood chipper

4. disagree - though this does apply to many, and certainly applies to a majority of the on line contingent, I disagree it applies as a blanket statement for all Sox fans ... and I certainly disagree with the Cardinals reference ... I look at the Cardinals the same way I look at the Packers - hate the team, but have to respect how the organization does things

UOK wrote:Now the Cubs.

Points for:

1. Wrigley is the definition of baseball charm, and the ballpark ensconsed within the neighborhood is singular in the sports world.
2. They've done an incredible job of rising from the ashes and turning their team around gloriously after several years intentionally letting the old regime die in a controlled burn.
3. Wrigley is eventually going to be a pretty badass little park with modern facilities & all the neighborhood trappings to give it an updated, safe, and shiny facade.
4. The team is on fucking fire right now, and the young players are here and destroying teams. It may not make for a title run, but these guys are all very, very young and there's more prospects on the way. Free agents will want to come to the team in coming seasons and if the stars align, championships could be in play.
1. agreed - always loved Wrigley, even when it was kind of dumpy

2. disagree - eh ... we'll see ... they do have a fun to watch young team with all the potential in the world ... history tells me they will find a way to screw it up before achieving their goal

3. not sure - they sure didn't make a good first impression of the new Wrigley with the half assed way they opened it this season ... whatever further plans they have need to be more intelligently handled

4. agreed - I've caught a few of their games and they don't look like any Cubs team I can remember

UOK wrote:Points against:

1. Wrigley was kind of a glorified dump for a long time. I found my experiences there very poor. Bathrooms were abysmal, seating was horribly uncomfortable, and everything was Busch-stadium priced with a bush-league product on the field. I went to the bleachers for a game a few weeks ago and I gotta say, the turnaround has been remarkable, but before that? Not impressed at all by the Friendly Confines.
2. Cubs fans drunkenly filled Wrigley for years, and their perceived indifference made the fan base look baseball-stupid (not true at all, it's just a great place to watch a game and beer is delicious on a hot day).
3. It took a long time for the Cubs to get to where they are right now. Years of bad, and I mean bad teams. 100 years is meaningless when you show you're making a run, but the team warned us when the Trib sold them and they hired Theo - get ready for the shit, fans. And it was shit. Thankfully the demolition worked.
4. Getting to Wrigley from anywhere outside of Chicago sucks ass. If I lived in the city it wouldn't be that bad - hop a few trains, biggity bam, you're there - but from down south, it's bad enough I have to hoof it the couple hours to even smell Chicago, much less take another 2 hours of trains/walking to get to the ballpark. It's a long, long commute. Just my personal problem, though.
1. disagree - even when Wrigley was a dump I enjoyed the games when I went (I have a couple of black sheep relatives who are diehard Cubs fans)

2. agreed - the fact Wrigley Field was a money maker regardless of the quality of the product on the field had the team as toilet dweelers seemingly by intent for a long long time

3. still not sold - things are progressing, no question there ... but they are the Cubs, so .... :-P ... but hey - according to the movie Back to the Future, 2015 is the year the Cubs win the series ... in a sweep!

4. agreed - most time I went was when I was living in the city, so commuting to any of the Chicago stadiums was a breeze ... trucking in from the burbs can be/is a major pain
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm just gonna re-title this and move it to the appropriate forum.

gonna merge it with UOK's ?
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:I'm just gonna re-title this and move it to the appropriate forum.

gonna merge it with UOK's ?

It is done.