ALCS set - Toronto vs Kansas City

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Toronto Blue Jays vs Kansas City Royals for the AL Championship and a trip to the World Series

* the KC vs Houston clinching game was drama free ... Cuerto pitched a gem for the Royals to take down the Astros

* the Texas vs Toronto series had some drama ... Texas Rangers relief pitcher was butt hurt over the way Toronto's Jose Bautista's flipped his bat after hitting a home run :

Sam Dyson fired up over Jose Bautista bat flip: 'He's doing stuff kids do'
Any retribution for crossing the line, for breaking from baseball's long-held traditions of decorum and etiquette, will have to wait.

But Texas Rangers reliever Sam Dyson wasn't waiting to share his thoughts on Jose Bautista's home run celebration -- The Bat Flip Heard 'Round The World -- in Wednesday night's Game 5 American League Division Series clincher for the Toronto Blue Jays.

"I told him Jose needs to calm that down," Dyson said of his comments to Blue Jays designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion in the next at-bat after Bautista's blast, a confrontation that cleared the benches in the seventh inning of Toronto's 6-3 win. "Just kind of respect the game a little more."

The Rangers had taken the lead on a controversial play in the top of the inning. A throw back to the mound by Blue Jays catcher Russell Martin caromed off the bat of the Rangers' Shin-Soo Choo and allowed a run in.

Bautista's dagger then followed in the bottom half of the seventh.

"He's a huge role model for the younger generation that's coming up and playing this game," Dyson said of Bautista. "He's doing stuff that kids do in whiffle ball games and backyard baseball.

"It shouldn't be done."

Bautista said he made the toss almost unconsciously, not realizing what he was doing.

"I can't really remember what was going through my mind to be quite honest with you," Bautista said. "After I made contact, I just, I didn't plan anything that I did. So I still don't even know how I did it. I just enjoyed the moment, ran around the bases, got to the dugout, and after all the guys stopped punching me and hitting me is when I started realizing what had happened.

and Toronto lodged a protest over a strange scoring play (protest won't be heard since Toronto won) :

Blue Jays protest Game 5 after bizarre play gives Rangers lead
TORONTO — One of the strangest plays in baseball history gave the Rangers the lead over the Blue Jays in the seventh inning of the deciding game of the American League Division Series on Wednesday. It led to a delay as Toronto fans pelted the field with garbage and prompted the Blue Jays to play the rest of the game under protest.

With two outs and Rougned Odor on third base, Toronto right-hander Aaron Sanchez threw a 1-2 pitch to Shin-Soo Choo that was called a ball. Routine, until catcher Russell Martin’s throw back to the mound bounced off Choo’s bat and rolled up the third base line.

Odor came running in to score the go-ahead run, but as he did, home plate umpire Dale Scott was calling time, thinking it was a dead ball. Odor was sent back to third.

Then, all six umpires conferred to review the bizarre play, and ruled that Odor would be allowed to score. That’s when the fans went berserk, throwing all manner of items onto the field and screaming obscenities.

A video review ensued, and garbage continued to rain down from the stands, including full beers. There was a cheer, however, when after the run was still allowed to score, it was announced that the game would be played under protest.

The play was officially scored an error on Martin.

* edited to change title
Last edited by Boris13c on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

That 7th inning was ridiculous.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:That 7th inning was ridiculous.

this link has all the videos of the madness for those who missed them :

Rangers-Blue Jays 7th inning may be the craziest you'll ever see
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Royals batter Blue Jays again, pull within one game from World Series
TORONTO – Breaking down the American League Championship Series Game 4 between the Blue Jays and Royals from Rogers Centre:

Royals 14, Blue Jays 2, Royals lead series, 3-1.

The Royals came out swinging against Jays starter R.A. Dickey from the opening pitch. Ben Zobrist hit a two-run homer as the first four Kansas City batters all scored in the first.

Dickey recorded just five outs before being pulled from the game. Although the Blue Jays looked like they might slug their way back, Royals starter Chris Young was effective enough over 4 2/3 innings to turn a three-run lead over to his lock-down bullpen.

Lorenzo Cain extended his postseason hitting streak to 13 games, getting on base four times and driving in three runs as the Kansas City offense never slowed down.
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Now that the Mets are in, I want the Royals to advance as well. I work in a 3-man department.

My boss is a Royals fan. My co-worker is a Mets fan. To watch those two go at each other in the World Series equals entertainment for me.

"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton