Cubs sign Jason Heyward

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Holy shit. Huge signing.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm listening to WSCR. Like they're saying... with Lackey and Zobrist and now Heyward .... the've improved a 97 win team without losing a single one of these young prospects... wow.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

No sour apples here.....I think the Cubs have a great team right now.....but I am happy as hell they signed Heyward away fro the Birds.

That doesn't mean he's a bad fit for the Cubs...he's not. You have the bats in the line-up to let him be what is...a complementary #2 or #6 hitter that plays great defense.

In STL they were looking at him a 'the guy' ... and he's simply no where near that.

All that said.....I will REALLY miss his defense. I'll be interested to see how that translates in center.
UOK
Site Admin

DaDitka wrote:No sour apples here.....I think the Cubs have a great team right now.....but I am happy as hell they signed Heyward away fro the Birds.

That doesn't mean he's a bad fit for the Cubs...he's not. You have the bats in the line-up to let him be what is...a complementary #2 or #6 hitter that plays great defense.

In STL they were looking at him a 'the guy' ... and he's simply no where near that.

All that said.....I will REALLY miss his defense. I'll be interested to see how that translates in center.
The one thing I found kind of sour about the whole thing from the STL perspective is that they threw him under the bus. They treated him like, "well some guys don't want to be a leader, they'd rather just fade into the background and be unworthy." Talked about him like he was some weak cog in their machine and that they're grateful they're rid of him since he's not made of Cardinal material.

Felt like that was beneath them, as a classy organization (hacking notwithstanding).
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I agree that it was not handled well.

I think it was a knee jerk reaction to him saying the 'core' in STL is getting old (which it is)

In some twisted way they felt bashing JayHey was a way of defending 'their' guys.

I would imagine they wish they had a do over.