Chicago Cubs & White Sox 2016 Season general discussion

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Cubs..
Two really nice pitching games to start..with great and timley hitting..
Tonight..pounding the D'Backs in AZ..

14-6 in 9th..

These kids are alright..
UOK
Site Admin

Use this as a catch all for day-to-day stuff. Special threads as needed.
UOK
Site Admin

Schwarber sprained his ankle fairly gruesomely last night. Getting an MRI on it today. Hopefully doesn't miss more than a few weeks.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox Turn a Triple Play Slow Enough to Savor
It was a 9-3-2-6-2-5 triple play in the score book, the first on record.
[video][/video]
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs add potential late-inning weapon in rehabbing closer Joe Nathan
The Chicago Cubs have the majors' best record, but they certainly aren't content.

On Tuesday, the NL Central leaders agreed to a major-league deal with six-time All-Star closer Joe Nathan for the rest of the 2016 season. They placed him on the 60-day DL with the hope that he can return in July.

Nathan, 41, is rehabbing from his second Tommy John surgery and hasn't pitched in the majors since April 6, 2015, with the Detroit Tigers. He had the procedure a few weeks later. Nathan also missed the 2010 season because of Tommy John surgery.

During his 15 seasons in the majors --€“ with the Tigers, Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants -- Nathan has 377 saves and has averaged 9.5 strikeouts per nine innings.
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wow. That is interesting. No faith in Rondon or what?
UOK
Site Admin

The guy won't play for months. It's just a cheap deal to see if there's any tread left on the tires.
UOK
Site Admin

The White Sox were up 7-1 going into the 9th. They lost.

Royals, man.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:The White Sox were up 7-1 going into the 9th. They lost.

Royals, man.

that's the type of game that can stick with a team for a while ... in a negative way for the Sox and a positive way for the Royals
George Carlin
Stay_Cool
MVP

NIU will be playing a game at US Cellular field this year, for any interested

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I will see everyone in October...late October.

GO CUBS!!!!!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

4 game losing streak are you Cubbie fans worried in the least? I kind of like how it has quieted my Cubbie fan friends down, they were getting just a little too cocky. Cubs two aces, actually three counting Lackey, not getting it done within the past 4 games.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:4 game losing streak are you Cubbie fans worried in the least? I kind of like how it has quieted my Cubbie fan friends down, they were getting just a little too cocky. Cubs two aces, actually three counting Lackey, not getting it done within the past 4 games.
Nah. Team's getting beaten up and there are always gonna be slumps. Injuries are taking their toll and Arrietta is taxed.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the White Sox seem content to move back to the middle of the pack as a .500 team ... not the way they started the year

hoping for a post All Star game resurgence but won't hold my breath
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

The White Sox are a weird team. I don't get it.

Maddon pulled the Waxahachie Swap last night in the Cubs 15-inning game. Google it. Pretty fun little baseball tactic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:The White Sox are a weird team. I don't get it.
tell me about it

you know how many other teams have hit 7 home runs in a game and still found a way to lose? just one other in the history of MLB
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs, Red Sox lead way as All-Star Game rosters are announced
CHICAGO -- The Cubs made All-Star history by becoming just the second team ever to have its entire infield start an All-Star Game.

Anthony Rizzo (first base), Ben Zobrist (second base), Addison Russell (shortstop) and Kris Bryant (third base) were elected to start next Tuesday's game in San Diego for the National League, becoming just the second foursome to accomplish that feat and first since the 1963 St. Louis Cardinals.
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Meanwhile the White Sox lost 9-0 to the Yankees.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Meanwhile the White Sox lost 9-0 to the Yankees.

the White Sox are a confusing mess

Chris Sale getting some props with the All Star start, which is cool since he is probably never going to get a playoff start until he goes elsewhere

Chicago White Sox's Sale on track to start All-Star Game
When Robin Ventura said Chris Sale is the best pitcher in the American League, it wasn't a case of a manager trying to boost confidence in one of his players.

Sale has unquestionably been the best starter in the league over the first half of the season. The Chicago White Sox's left-hander leads the majors with 14 wins and also leads the AL with a 0.98 WHIP and ranks third with a 2.93 ERA and 118 strikeouts.

Scheduled to pitch his final game of the first half Friday night against the Atlanta Braves, Sale is on track to start next Tuesday's All-Star Game at San Diego.

"That's for you guys to talk about, not me," Sale said.

There is no doubt Sale is heading for his fifth straight All-Star Game, and he is very likely to make his first start for the AL.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox Keep Up Quality Play, Win 5th Straight Series
CHICAGO (CBS) — The surging Chicago White Sox are continuing their climb back from a standings free fall that befell them from early May and into June, posting their fifth straight series victory with a 5-0 win against the Yankees at U.S. Cellular Field on Wednesday night.

Right-hander Miguel Gonzalez pitched seven shutout innings, gaining his second win of the season. Behind this recent good play for Chicago has been better starting pitching and solid defense. This was reflected when White Sox right fielder Adam Eaton threw out another runner trying to advance on a base hit, snuffing out a would-be New York uprising in the third inning by nailing Jacoby Ellsbury at second base on a one-hop throw.

“People are going to do what they do, “White Sox catcher Dioner Navarro said of the play.

“Ninety percent of the time, Ellsbury is safe on that hit. Eaton just did a great job on that. He is doing a great job in the outfield all year.”

Eaton’s 1.6 defensive WAR is the highest among outfielders and third-best mark for any position this season. He also leads the majors with 13 outfield assists.

“His range and his arm has been a big factor defensively,” White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. “Guys are testing him, and they don’t quite realize how strong his arm is.”

The White Sox (44-41) have thrust themselves back into the wild-card battle, sitting 2.5 games out of the second spot after winning 11 of their past 16.
schizophrenia alive and well on the South Side ... began the season on fire and rolling through everyone, then turned into the Bad News Bears and couldn't beat anyone, and now ... well, who knows ... looks like they are on an upswing heading towards the All Star break so I hope the second half of the season continues on a positive swing
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox send Chris Sale home for 'clubhouse incident'
Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale was a late scratch from his start Saturday against the Detroit Tigers, speculating trade rumors.

Instead, it was because he was involved in what the team says was a "clubhouse incident."

“Chris Sale has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start and sent home from the ballpark by the White Sox due to a clubhouse incident before the game," White Sox senior vice president/general manager Rick Hahn said in a statement. "The incident, which was non-physical in nature, currently is under further investigation by the club.

“The White Sox will have no additional comment until the investigation is completed.”

Several sources reported Sale was upset about wearing a throwback uniform, so he cut them up so no one could wear it.

Tommy Stokke @StokkeTommy

Not a joke: Source says Sale blowup was because he didn't want to wear throwbacks, so he cut the jerseys up so no one could wear them.
7:51 PM - 23 Jul 2016

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources say: Sale cut up throwbacks during batting practice. Upset that, in his view, PR and jersey sales were more important than winning.
8:29 PM - 23 Jul 2016
so UOK, you were saying something about the Sox being a weird team? how's this for weird?
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Nothing surprises me about the Reinsdorf/Williams Sox anymore. Just a gaggle of buffoons.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs, Yankees reportedly have Chapman trade in place that could be completed soon
The Yankees had been rumored to be nearing an Aroldis Chapman trade all day on Sunday, and now it looks like the finish line is in sight. According to Jon Heyman of Fan Rag Sports as well as Joel Sherman of the New York Post on Monday morning, the Yankees appear to be working with the Cubs on a deal that would involve shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres.

Heyman's tweet on Sunday night came on the heels of another that confirmed Torres' inclusion in a forthcoming trade -- apparently one involving Chapman, should the two sides finalize their agreement
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Chris Sale defends jersey incident: The White Sox 'put business first over winning'
White Sox pitcher Chris Sale was suspended five games after he cut throwback jerseys with scissors before a scheduled start.

Sale was upset because the uniforms were uncomfortable and felt that the team was putting a promotional decision ahead of winning games.

The pitcher spoke for the first time since the incident in an interview Monday with MLB.com.

He called out manager Robin Ventura for not overruling the throwback jersey promotion:

“Robin is the one who has to fight for us in that department. If the players don’t feel comfortable 100 percent about what we are doing to win the game, and we have an easy fix — it was as easy as hanging up another jersey and everyone was fine. For them to put business first over winning, that’s when I lost it.”

Sale regretted that his behavior forced him to miss a start for his team and the fans, but he stands by the message he sent.

He went on:

“I have regret, because I play 33 times a year at most in the regular season. So I put a lot of emphasis on when I play and I take a lot of pride in work that I do. When I can’t or don’t do that, yeah, I have disappointment in myself for not being there for my guys.

“Do I regret standing up for what I believe in? Absolutely not. Do I regret saying business should not be first before winning? Absolutely not.”
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ranaudo flirts with no-no before Sox falter late

that was a frustrating game to watch ... Renaudo looked good (5 innings of no hit ball) and is the first AL pitcher to homer this season

that game sums up the Sox season - early hope, some high end play, but ultimately failure
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

AS a guy who used to be a Cub fan and a baseball (now I could give a shit about either), I have realized that most Cub fans are obnoxious as hell!! They are truly making me sick. They haven't won shit in their life time but they are spewing all kinds of cockiness at the moment.

Don't get too excited Cub fans, karma and the goat are both bitches.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

White Sox get no new money from naming rights deal with Guaranteed Rate
The new naming rights deal for the publicly owned stadium where the White Sox play baseball is worth $25.1 million but will deliver no additional money to the team, documents associated with the agreement show.

The White Sox will receive only the remaining value of the original 2003 agreement with U.S. Cellular, which amounts to $20.4 million. The remaining $4.7 million will go to the state agency that serves as landlord of the ballpark, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

The deal to change the facility's name to Guaranteed Rate Field, which was announced last week, runs through 2029. If the agreement is extended for a year, the authority would receive $6.4 million in all.

The amount of money the contract could give to the White Sox was limited by the terms of the team's stadium lease, which state that any additional money received for naming rights after the U.S. Cellular deal "shall be used in the stadium in a manner agreed upon between the team and the authority."
the stadium the White Sox play in will ALWAYS be Comiskey Park to me regardless of what their sponsors may be named
George Carlin