Is John Fox the Bears' Head Coach in 2018-2019?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Is John Fox the Bears' Head Coach in 2018-2019?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 26
G08
Hall of Famer

Is this dude a lame duck this season, even though he has two years left on his deal?

Our schedule looks brutal -- I'm as optimistic as it gets most times -- and I've got us pegged for 6 wins. How can you bring him and Loggains back, with the idea of Trubisky likely taking over, and then blow it all up and not re-sign Fox?

Unless this dude makes the playoffs, or at least wins 8 games, I don't know how you can bring him back. My reasoning is because Trubisky needs to get into his offense sooner than later, 2 years of Loggains followed by a firing and a new scheme being brought in is fucking terrible.

My biggest concern is that we have been building a 3-4 defense for Vic Fangio, and I just don't know if that dude will want to stick around. If we fire Fox, would Fangio expect an interview? If he does and he doesn't get the job, then what, he walks? Will he swallow his pride and be willing to re-sign here with a new offensive-minded head coach? Maybe the lure of "the defense is your baby, do whatever you want" will get him to stay.

My early candidate: Pete Carmichael, Jr.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I remember when we were kind of excited to get John Fox ... I know I was on his bandwagon when he got hired ... I am pretty sure the consensus was : "FINALLY! An actual NFL head coach."

And now, I dunno. Can't blame him directly for all the injuries that impacted the roster he had to work with. The team has not been successful but they have been re-building, even if they refused to publicly call it that.

Since Fox has endured the hardship, does he deserve a chance to be part of the rebuild and see it through?

I'd prefer stability and the front office and coaching staff in the same direction. I believe we are now seeing that. And I believe Pace might be considering floating an extension Fox's way.

So yes - I believe John Fox will be the Bears head coach for a few more years.
Last edited by Boris13c on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm not expecting many wins... but if the offense doesn't look like dogshit and the defense improves, I could see an argument for him being brought back. Still... I just don't think Dowell Loggains is the OC to whom Mitch Trubisky will be tied for the majority of his career.

Funkster
MVP

I selected yes.

Pace is looking for stability. IMO, Fox and Loggains will be coaching in Chicago for a while. The only way I see a change is 1. Fox retires 2. Loggains get a HC job. Loggains system is a perfect fit for a rookie QB to take over and have success.

I do fear Fangio may want a promotion at some point but it seems for now he is content with his DC roll.

Good things are within reach, I'm pumped for this season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

So best case scenario with Fox getting a contract extension is that we keep Dowell Loggains and, I'm assuming, make him the head coach after Fox leaves/retires?

That... scares me.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Dave Wanndstedt comes to mind as someone mind as a coach we got stuck with for way too many years because he managed a 9-7 record in 1995. I don't want to see us doing the same thing over again insanity.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:Dave Wanndstedt comes to mind as someone mind as a coach we got stuck with for way too many years because he managed a 9-7 record in 1995. I don't want to see us doing the same thing over again insanity.
I think John Fox is a good coach, I think his players love him, and I think he knows how to motivate his dudes... but he's more of an A to B guy in my book (which is exactly what we need right now, don't get me wrong).

My whole fear/concern/consternation comes from our rookie QB having to learn multiple offenses. I want one system and one system only for him starting next year, but this IS Chicago after all.

wab
Mod

It really wouldn't surprise me if Fox gets an extension.

I've said it before...but for a group of fans that constantly pines for "continuity", we sure want to fire the shit out of people.

The Bears just spent two years getting rid of every meaningful player that Emery acquired. They'll spend the next two seeing if the Pace/Fox players work.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:It really wouldn't surprise me if Fox gets an extension.

I've said it before...but for a group of fans that constantly pines for "continuity", we sure want to fire the shit out of people.

The Bears just spent two years getting rid of every meaningful player that Emery acquired. They'll spend the next two seeing if the Pace/Fox players work.
and to that, i think the reason fox was brought in in the first place is that his strongest trait is his respectability and gravitas that he brings to the organization. he does not touch the offense, and he barely has any input on the defense, or fangio would have split by now.

pace knew that these years would be painful. he had to figure out if we could win with cutler, while simultaneously trying to completely rebuild the roster. fox's job is to keep the locker room together during a difficult transition. if you think that he's on the hot seat, you're misreading the situation.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:

and to that, i think the reason fox was brought in in the first place is that his strongest trait is his respectability and gravitas that he brings to the organization. he does not touch the offense, and he barely has any input on the defense, or fangio would have split by now.

pace knew that these years would be painful. he had to figure out if we could win with cutler, while simultaneously trying to completely rebuild the roster. fox's job is to keep the locker room together during a difficult transition. if you think that he's on the hot seat, you're misreading the situation.
I think there has been too much smoke about Fangio and Fox for me to think that Fox doesn't have any input on the defense. It's his bread-and-butter, as it is for Fangio, and I think they have butted heads more than a few times.

What happens if we extend Fox and Fangio tells us to go fuck ourselves?

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:My early candidate: Pete Carmichael, Jr.
Nothing scares me more than a pass happy Offensive Coordinator, who is used to coaching in the dome, coming to Chicago.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I myself was not happy when they made the hire. So far, he has met my expectations.
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Nothing scares me more than a pass happy Offensive Coordinator, who is used to coaching in the dome, coming to Chicago.
Mike McCarthy says "herro"

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Mikey's not afraid the run the ball when he has someone reliable. In fact he's more than willing to milk a good bell cow.

Petey Has had 1000 yard rushers in his back pocket that he suddenly decides to quit using...all the while knowing he has a bad defense and should try to run a more ball controlled offense.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
G08 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Mikey's not afraid the run the ball when he has someone reliable. In fact he's more than willing to milk a good bell cow.

Petey Has had 1000 yard rushers in his back pocket that he suddenly decides to quit using...all the while knowing he has a bad defense and should try to run a more ball controlled offense.
Since he's been OC they've averaged being roughly a top 5 scoring team. Past three years, top 20 in rushing attempts.

I hear you, but the name of the game is points.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:Dave Wanndstedt comes to mind as someone mind as a coach we got stuck with for way too many years because he managed a 9-7 record in 1995. I don't want to see us doing the same thing over again insanity.

I find this to be an unfair comparison

unless you are talking about festering piles of garbage or dogshit on the sidewalk, Dave Wannstedt's name should never be invoked
George Carlin
wab
Mod

This notion that the Bears can't be good without Fangio is silly. Fox has had plenty of good defenses. There's really nothing wrong with Fox as the Bears coach.

The Bears have been bad because they've had a LOT of bad players/shitty locker room. The only players of real note that remain from the Emery Era are like Leno, Fuller, Young, Long, and Miller. And Megapunt I guess.

This is now the team that Fox and Pace have built. They'll get this year and next to show that they should remain employed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Wow, 75% think he'll be here next year. That surprises me.

Maybe I'm way wrong then, do you think Pace and Fox have this agreement that he will get to fulfill his contract and build this team and if the arrow is pointing upward he will get another 4 year deal to see if he can win a title?

Might make sense... Rodgers turns 34 this season and Trubisky truly can sit and learn this offense without worrying about learning a brand new offense next season. I can live with it I guess.... God I just want to see some semblance of progress though, especially offensively.

wab
Mod

I think if the Bears show improvement this season, regardless of the record, Fox will get a 1 year extension that puts his contract length the same as Pace's.

The Bears have to at least be in the running for a playoff spot in 2018, or he goes into 2019 coaching for his job.
G08
Hall of Famer

I believe Fangio's contract runs up after this season... is that the same for Loggains?

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:This notion that the Bears can't be good without Fangio is silly. Fox has had plenty of good defenses. There's really nothing wrong with Fox as the Bears coach.

The Bears have been bad because they've had a LOT of bad players/shitty locker room. The only players of real note that remain from the Emery Era are like Leno, Fuller, Young, Long, and Miller. And Megapunt I guess.

This is now the team that Fox and Pace have built. They'll get this year and next to show that they should remain employed.
I am not totally against Fox completing his contract but I am totally against a contract extension based on one good year.
wab
Mod

staleystarch wrote:
wab wrote:This notion that the Bears can't be good without Fangio is silly. Fox has had plenty of good defenses. There's really nothing wrong with Fox as the Bears coach.

I am not totally against Fox completing his contract but I am totally against a contract extension based on one good year.
Well they haven't had a good year yet. And I don't even think it takes a particularly good year for Fox to get an extension. They could win 4 games next season, but if they put improvement on the field and play like an up and coming team, it wouldn't surprise me one bit for Fox to get a year added to his deal.

A 1yr extension puts his deal at the same length as Pace's.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Pace might be wise to cut ties with Fox if it's a 4-5 win season... if he gives him a 1 year extension Georgie may have incentive to fire them both (I don't think he will).

The smart play for Pace would be to fire Fox, bring in a coach that will be tied to Trubisky, and that should at minimum buy him 4 more years after this one...

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I think Pace might be wise to cut ties with Fox if it's a 4-5 win season... if he gives him a 1 year extension Georgie may have incentive to fire them both (I don't think he will).

The smart play for Pace would be to fire Fox, bring in a coach that will be tied to Trubisky, and that should at minimum buy him 4 more years after this one...

I don't like the fire and hire option as a means of job preservation for the GM because it may not be what is best for the team

besides, as someone else said, for a group of malcontents such as us who continue to bleat about continuity and consistency, calling for Fox to be canned flies in the face of that logic
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:I think Pace might be wise to cut ties with Fox if it's a 4-5 win season... if he gives him a 1 year extension Georgie may have incentive to fire them both (I don't think he will).

I don't like the fire and hire option as a means of job preservation for the GM because it may not be what is best for the team

besides, as someone else said, for a group of malcontents such as us who continue to bleat about continuity and consistency, calling for Fox to be canned flies in the face of that logic
That's fair, but keeping Fox could mean that Fangio leaves and that we are stuck with Dowell Loggains.

I'd rather tie my franchise QB to a proven offensive mind/play caller.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

That's fair, but keeping Fox could mean that Fangio leaves and that we are stuck with Dowell Loggains.

I'd rather tie my franchise QB to a proven offensive mind/play caller.
but who really is that proven offensive mind that would be available? and is their opinion of themselves far above their actual talent level?

I'll use Kyle "I am the greatest Offensive Coordinator ever" Shanahan as my example for this ... yes, he has a nice track record ... yes he has improved the offenses of more than 1 team ... but, with a Super Bowl in his hands, he fumbled it away by thinking he is smarter than he is ... by not paying attention to detail and the actual game situation ... and by being unable or unwilling to make the correct call rather than the call that will get him the most attention if successful

sometimes the reason the grass seems greener is because there is a layer of mold on it
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:

Dismissing people who are not on the Fox bandwagon as a group of malcontents is about as fair as calling those who are on the bandwagon a group of homers. Neither is true.
G08
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Dismissing people who are not on the Fox bandwagon as a group of malcontents is about as fair as calling those who are on the bandwagon a group of homers. Neither is true.
I don't think he meant it as insulting to the group that is not on the Fox bandwagon, I took it more as a generalization akin to something like "a bunch of assholes like us", etc.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

perhaps malcontents was the wrong word

point I was trying to make was, you can have the continuity and steadiness that goes along with keeping the status quo on coaches as long as progress is being made, or you can toss things out and start over every 3-4 years and never achieve success

many blamed the constant turnover of coaches and changes of systems as the reason Jay failed us, and I can see that reasoning to a point

I think the team now has everyone pulling in the same direction ... Pace has reshaped the team how he wants it, and seems to have a good relationship with Fox ... I say ride that for the next few years and see if it pans out as it should ... if it doesn't, Pace and Fox could likely both be gone, and we'll see the team starting over yet again while we fans will be left clinging to memories of 1985 as 2025 is upon us
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

I don't think he meant it as insulting to the group that is not on the Fox bandwagon, I took it more as a generalization akin to something like "a bunch of assholes like us", etc.
I hope that is the case. I'm not Fox fan but I think those on both sides have some valid points,