Goff Day

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is old news, but if you care at all about defensive details, such as...

How we defend teams differently to helps us be so good against the run...
How Prince and Fuller's styles are different and how Fangio lets them "be you"...
Why Goff looked SO bad against us...
Why Fuller has so many interceptions...

This video is a MUST see if you haven't already. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Very informative.

But it also made me less excited about the Bears' performance.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

There have been very few defenses in the NFL that have just lined up, took everything away and completely dominated with just talent.

Knowing your opponent's tendencies and limitations, taking away their strengths and forcing mistakes is what makes defenses look great.

Good job Vic!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Great video and nice to see how Fangio let's his players play to their strengths. It seems like it's been so long since we have had a coaching staff that does that!
Moriarty wrote:Very informative.

Why did it make you less excited? I took the video as the Bears forced Goff into his worst day by the scheme and discipline in the scheme. Am i misunderstanding something?
G08
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:Great video and nice to see how Fangio let's his players play to their strengths. It seems like it's been so long since we have had a coaching staff that does that!

Why did it make you less excited? I took the video as the Bears forced Goff into his worst day by the scheme and discipline in the scheme. Am i misunderstanding something?
I didn't understand that either, this was an elite gameplan by Fangio and execution by our players. We put a blueprint out there on how to beat them and now the Rams looks fragile! We literally broke that team -- I'm proud as fuck :D
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:Great video and nice to see how Fangio let's his players play to their strengths. It seems like it's been so long since we have had a coaching staff that does that!

I didn't understand that either, this was an elite gameplan by Fangio and execution by our players. We put a blueprint out there on how to beat them and now the Rams looks fragile! We literally broke that team -- I'm proud as fuck :D
This ^^^ All fucking day long.

Good teams don't just win. They change the game/narrative. Chicago changed the narrative on the Rams.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

This ^^^ All fucking day long.

Good teams don't just win. They change the game/narrative. Chicago changed the narrative on the Rams.

and I am quite sure Fangio will have an enhanced plan to implement if the Bears face the Rams in the playoffs

maybe rekindle thoughts of 1985 and duplicate the 24-0 shutout of the Rams by that Bears team :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

Because the video was nonstop "Look at Goff ignore his checkdown. Look at Goff get impatient and force it long instead of taking what he's given. Look at Goff make an inexcusable decision."

If the Bears had just physically overwhelmed them in their individual matchups and/or there was no one open and nowhere to go, that would be great, because great athleticism will help you against everyone.
But it wasn't - it was scheming that got Goff to make the wrong choices. Even if you alter your scheme to them, if you come across experienced vet QBs like Brady, Rivers, or Brees, I'm not terribly optimistic that they'll help out by making wrong choices the way Goff did.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The scheme forced Rodgers to throw his first INT in 3-400 attempts. If the D stays disciplined that's what happens even to good QB's.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Every defense is a scheme to make the offense have mistakes. I think it was both scheme and physical domination. Nothing but positives from what I can see.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

We've seen for a number of games now... QBs who can play... Who have open guys and miss them. And that's because the pass rush creates fear in the QB's head that he has to get rid of it before somebody gets him. Because too often, they do. So you rush it before you want to. And open receivers are unrewarded.

No defense can cover everything. But when QBs are driven by fear--real or imagined--to miss the openings, that's something few defenses can pull off.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
G08 wrote:

Because the video was nonstop "Look at Goff ignore his checkdown. Look at Goff get impatient and force it long instead of taking what he's given. Look at Goff make an inexcusable decision."

If the Bears had just physically overwhelmed them in their individual matchups and/or there was no one open and nowhere to go, that would be great, because great athleticism will help you against everyone.
But it wasn't - it was scheming that got Goff to make the wrong choices. Even if you alter your scheme to them, if you come across experienced vet QBs like Brady, Rivers, or Brees, I'm not terribly optimistic that they'll help out by making wrong choices the way Goff did.
My guess is that Fangio would approach a QB like Brees or Brady different than he schemed for Goff.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Because the video was nonstop "Look at Goff ignore his checkdown. Look at Goff get impatient and force it long instead of taking what he's given. Look at Goff make an inexcusable decision."
Well, that's the point. That's the entire point behind an approach like that -- it's part of the brilliance. You don't come after elite, experienced QBs like that because you know they have the patience to check it down every single time (think Peyton Manning).
Moriarty wrote: If the Bears had just physically overwhelmed them in their individual matchups and/or there was no one open and nowhere to go, that would be great, because great athleticism will help you against everyone.
... we SHUT DOWN their run game, completely, and their QB threw 4 INTs. I don't know how your brain interprets these things -- frankly it's none of my business -- but I wish you found more joy in that dominant defensive performance.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Moriarty wrote: If the Bears had just physically overwhelmed them in their individual matchups and/or there was no one open and nowhere to go, that would be great, because great athleticism will help you against everyone.
]

... we SHUT DOWN their run game, completely, and their QB threw 4 INTs. I don't know how your brain interprets these things -- frankly it's none of my business -- but I wish you found more joy in that dominant defensive performance.
The Bears held the most dynamic RB in the league, to his year low in yards gained. They absolutely dominated Todd Gurley. In the process, showed the entire NFL how to stop the Rams. Stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. Goff was exposed as not having good pre-snap read ability after the mic in his ear shut off. The Bears BROKE that offense. I would call that dominant.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Moriarty wrote: Because the video was nonstop "Look at Goff ignore his checkdown. Look at Goff get impatient and force it long instead of taking what he's given. Look at Goff make an inexcusable decision."
Well, that's the point. That's the entire point behind an approach like that -- it's part of the brilliance. You don't come after elite, experienced QBs like that because you know they have the patience to check it down every single time (think Peyton Manning).

sorry, but I don't understand any argument that ends up pooh-poohing the idea the Bears did anything special against the Rams

what the Bears did was completely shutdown the Rams running game, saying to the Rams and their offense that they are challenging their 300+ yards per game QB to beat them through the air

and the Rams were not up to the challenge

why did Goff have a rough passing day? wasn't because he simply sucked that day ... it was because the Bears defense definitely influenced what he could do ... and because the Bears defense had a strong enough pass rush to speed up Goff's play clock in his head, making him make decisions sooner than what he wanted to receivers he didn't necessarily plan to go to

I challenge anyone who thinks the Bears D did nothing special for that win to go watch that game again, but sober this time so you can actually see what is happening
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Yeah, no defense anywhere has ever been able to take away everything. That was a dominant defensive performance. It was awesome.
docc
Head Coach

Rodgers is a vet..allegedly GOAT..shut down..sacked 5 times..and picked..
Amen
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
]

The Bears held the most dynamic RB in the league, to his year low in yards gained. They absolutely dominated Todd Gurley. In the process, showed the entire NFL how to stop the Rams. Stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. Goff was exposed as not having good pre-snap read ability after the mic in his ear shut off. The Bears BROKE that offense. I would call that dominant.
This.

I've been watching football for over 30 years and that game was one of the most dominating defensive performances I have ever seen and especially when considering the competition.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
]

Agreee. This was after they let Barkley run and catch all over them. It's why I was worried about the Rams. But Goff is still real young and not experienced enough to take what the defense gives him, Bears got to stack the box play deep, and see how things went. If Goff had just taken the short passes for a few drives the Bears likely have to change up and the game is different. He couldn't, the run game was shut down and he had his worst game of the season, and followed it up w/another bad game. Now Gurley is hurt and that will put more pressure on Goff.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:

sorry, but I don't understand any argument that ends up pooh-poohing the idea the Bears did anything special against the Rams

what the Bears did was completely shutdown the Rams running game, saying to the Rams and their offense that they are challenging their 300+ yards per game QB to beat them through the air

and the Rams were not up to the challenge

why did Goff have a rough passing day? wasn't because he simply sucked that day ... it was because the Bears defense definitely influenced what he could do ... and because the Bears defense had a strong enough pass rush to speed up Goff's play clock in his head, making him make decisions sooner than what he wanted to receivers he didn't necessarily plan to go to

I challenge anyone who thinks the Bears D did nothing special for that win to go watch that game again, but sober this time so you can actually see what is happening

Come on, this isn't complicated or controversial.

What impresses you more about a defense?

a) When the receivers are totally blanketed and the QB throws it away to avoid a coverage sack
or
b) When there are guys open, but the QB sails it 3 ft over his target

a) When a rusher destroyers his blocker and the QB has no chance to even get it off
or
b) When there is a man wide open, but the QB throws an incompletion into double coverage instead

a) When a DB reads the play perfectly and jumps the pass to break it up
or
b) When the ball hits the receiver in the hands and he drops it*

* Yes, I know this didn't happen in the video, I'm speaking hypothetically to make a point that should be obvious:

There's stops due to defensive excellence, there's stops due to offensive incompetence, and there's stops due to fluky circumstance (like slips or running into the official), and often some combination of the three.
This analysis showed more of reason for the Rams not going anywhere belongs on Ram (mostly Goff) failures than my initial impression.
Not that the Bears' defense isn't good, or whatever other strawman you care to build, but a lot of the Rams' problems would have been fixed by Goff doing the right thing.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don't buy the argument at all that it was Goff and not the defense. It was the defense shutting the run down and getting pressure on Goff that gave him happy feet which in turn caused his piss poor accuracy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:I don't buy the argument at all that it was Goff and not the defense. It was the defense shutting the run down and getting pressure on Goff that gave him happy feet which in turn caused his piss poor accuracy.
This.

Fangio crafted something special and the defense went out and executed.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

The Marshall Plan wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:I don't buy the argument at all that it was Goff and not the defense. It was the defense shutting the run down and getting pressure on Goff that gave him happy feet which in turn caused his piss poor accuracy.
This.

Fangio crafted something special and the defense went out and executed.
Fangio crafted what any smart DC w/a good def can do against a young qb that needs his wide recievers to make plays. Cover the deep ball and make him slowly drive the field and hope they get impatient. SF tried the samething w/Mitch and they almost got him a few times, but he settled down and started taking what the def gave him, underneath short passes. Goff never learned.