Hoge and Jahns podcast #159

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

An interesting listen during this really dead time.

One thing rather peaked my interest. They discussed Tarik Cohen, who had 300-some yards rushing along with similar receiving numbers year, setting his over/under at 500 yards rushing and 500 receiving. One of them went over on both, the other went over in receiving and under in rushing.

My initial thought was under on both. With a presumably better receiving corps with all the additions and his size putting him sub-optimal for too many carries, I figure his numbers may possibly be a bit better than last year. But not much. With so many more competent weapons out there, I imagine him as a situational or "throw the defense the occasional curve that they're not prepared for" usage player. But maybe I'm wrong, as they seem to think Nagy will love throwing it to Cohen.

An exercise that occurred to me as I was listening was to list your guess of Trubisky's passing yards and who those yards will go to. It's offseason easy (a new saying I just made up) to say ARob's going to be great and so will Miller and Gabriel and Burton and.... But it's another thing to divvy up those yards among the players. Throwing a dart at the wall, I'll take a shot...

Trubisky.... 3800
ARob.......... 800*
Miller.......... 600
Burton........ 500
White......... 500
Shaheen..... 400
Cohen......... 400
Gabriel........ 300*
The rest...... 300

* Injuries play a factor
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I'd sure love to see Shaheen hit 400!

I was just about to question Gab at 300 and then realized your injury factor. I can respect that.

Next question though; White gets 500 and no injury?

I think he has skills that this offense could use (namely speed) and that if he actually plays a season without injury, he puts up an average above 50 yards/game, especially if ARob has an injury or two slowing him down as you predict.

But more than likely it makes more sense to just put an * next to his name too and leave it at a low number! ROFL
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Just a wild guess, but indications are that we're going to see a good amount of 2 TEs. I struggle to imagine Burton putting up big numbers, but I see it more as a 2-headed monster with he and Shaheen that get significant targets. Hence 900 between the two. And with Sims it's no stretch that it could go over 1000.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

So 88 views and nobody besides me is willing to take a stab at projecting Trubisky's passing yards and the distribution during the offseason when nothing's going on at all? What a bunch of wimps around here! ;-)

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:So 88 views and nobody besides me is willing to take a stab at projecting Trubisky's passing yards and the distribution during the offseason when nothing's going on at all? What a bunch of wimps around here! ;-)
I'm never, EVER any good at projecting stats or things like that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:So 88 views and nobody besides me is willing to take a stab at projecting Trubisky's passing yards and the distribution during the offseason when nothing's going on at all?
I predict Trubisky will be good and establish himself in year 2 in a positive way that makes sure the QB position is no longer the team's weakest link

Mikefive wrote:What a bunch of wimps around here! ;-)
nope ... the rest of us are just grillin and chillin instead of trying to be football stat nerd 2.0 :nana:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have thought about this a few times. Depending on my level of optimism it changes. I think this is how I would go.

Trubisky 3,400 yds 24 TD 14 INT

Robinson 1,100 yds 8 TD
Gabriel 650 yds 4 TD
White 25 yds
Miller 300 yds 1 TD

Burton 700 yds 5 TD
Shaheen 200 yds 5 TD

Cohen 300 rush 400 pass
Howard 1,200 rush
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not a projection guy either. Even if it meant I got lucky and was the most correct and could rub everyone' s nose in it. Too many factors to project, the main one on this team being injuries.