NFL: No changes to helmet rule, despite complaints

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Z Bear
MVP

They need to add the replay like college did for targeting. There is the distinct possibility that someone is going to get ejected when the league will later say it should not have been a foul.
UOK
Site Admin

Multiple games will be decided from this rule this season. Playoff games will hinge on it. This is going to be a monstrous embarrassment for the NFL.
Z Bear
MVP

I would not go that far.... but there will definitely be a few big plays over this the first few weeks of the season. Once there is more tape on what is and what is not a foul the league can dissect it and distribute to get everyone on the same page. The players and refs will adjust by the time the playoffs come around.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Multiple games will be decided from this rule this season. Playoff games will hinge on it. This is going to be a monstrous embarrassment for the NFL.

maybe not quite that far, but I agree it will have a noticeable negative impact

and I do not in any way think the bozos in NY reviewing things during games will do anything to improve that situation ... in fact, I think their contributions will make things worse (Riveron will have an especially unsavory negative impact I am sure)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Road has converted me into thinking refs favor certain teams and players, so I already know the first fucking time the Packers get a bullshit call on us that extends and wins a game for them I'm going to lose my shit.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Multiple games will be decided from this rule this season. Playoff games will hinge on it. This is going to be a monstrous embarrassment for the NFL.
Just what the NFL needs is another reason not to watch the games.

Then add on the quarterbacks constantly looking for the flag on every play.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Then add on the quarterbacks constantly looking for the flag on every play.
and some QB's are given the authority to almost make their own calls

I forget what game it was last year, but Rodgers was sort of kind of hit a bit late and he pops up and points to a defensive player, and bloop, here comes the flag ... called on that player .... and the replay clearly showed it was someone entirely different who had actually made contact with him

I remember changing to a different game after that as I was thoroughly disgusted
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Then add on the quarterbacks constantly looking for the flag on every play.
and some QB's are given the authority to almost make their own calls

I forget what game it was last year, but Rodgers was sort of kind of hit a bit late and he pops up and points to a defensive player, and bloop, here comes the flag ... called on that player .... and the replay clearly showed it was someone entirely different who had actually made contact with him

I remember changing to a different game after that as I was thoroughly disgusted
That's my real problem with the game. I grew up in an era where the big hit was celebrated and quarterbacks were kept in check because of the risk of the pass rush and getting clobbered if they scrambled.