Deadspin - why your team sucks 2018 : da Bears (pizza talk)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Why Your Team Sucks 2018: Chicago Bears

Deadspin does these every year for every team I think ... usually these articles are amusing ... sometimes they strike a nerve of truth that kind of hurts

but the one for the Bears this year contains one item of sacrilege I cannot forgive :
Deep dish pizza is fucking terrible. Chicago deserves to BURN, I tell you.
wtf?

so I'm guessing this writer prefers the non-pizza's from places like Papa Johns?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

To be fair, I think deep dish is garbage.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:To be fair, I think deep dish is garbage.

really?

that's one of my first stops when I am back in Chicago ... I love deep dish ... even sort of make a decent one at home, where the key is a cast iron pie pan

I know folks who prefer thin crust over deep dish, but do you really think deep dish is terrible? and if so, why?
George Carlin
Z Bear
MVP

The "fan" comments are better than the article itself. Some of those are hilarious.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

I stand heartily by my opinion. Pizza is best flat.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Ehhh... It's a taste thing. Some people like liver, too. And chilled monkey brains. No right or wrong answers.

(And for the record if anybody cares, I like both deep dish and thin pizza, I ordered liver and onions at a restaurant a couple weeks ago, but I don't think I'd go for the monkey brains.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I love all pizza.

GSH
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

really?

that's one of my first stops when I am back in Chicago ... I love deep dish ... even sort of make a decent one at home, where the key is a cast iron pie pan

I know folks who prefer thin crust over deep dish, but do you really think deep dish is terrible? and if so, why?
I just had a box full of lou malnati's sausage pizza shipped to my apartment in LA, arrived yesterday!
Umbali
MVP

I love all pizza...but deep dish doesnt work well with the large amount of beer that I will consume prior to the pizza lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
makaur
Pro Bowler

Deep dish is a lot like certain kinds of beer...you have to have a taste for it.

I grew up on it so it’s a must when I’m back in Chicago. There’s a place out here in Virginia that “tries” their best at making deep dish but it’s just not the same. Even that sh*tty Uno’s restaurant has a deep dish pizza that’s nowhere near close to what you can find in downtown Chicago. I always looked at deep dish like this...if you want to eat many slices of pizza, you get pan or thin crust. If you want to eat a lot of pizza but only one slice, you get deep dish.

Heck, there was one time the family and I were walking around downtown. We were starving and went into the first place we could find. It was a hole in the wall pizza joint...but they knew how to make some damn good deep dish pizza. I think I said “F Dominos” when we walked out of that place.

I guess if you don’t like deep dish, I’m cool with that but don’t trash it. However, pizza from any mom and pop place in the New York area is probably my first choice....definitely over any pizza chain.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I love all styles of pizza, super thin, thin, hand tossed, think, deep dish, pan and Chicago Style. When in Chicago it was always Giordanos. Now, it is Pequods. I am kind of a traditionalist, no funky shit on my pizza. No white sauce, no chicken, no pineapple. Give some mozz, some red sauce, some sausage, ham, pepperoni, salami, bacon, burger and some red peppers. They don't all have to be on at once, but those are the ingredients I stick with.

I did get tricky and made a thick neopolitan pizza on the grill a few weeks back. Real mozz was the kicker.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I love all styles of pizza, super thin, thin, hand tossed, think, deep dish, pan and Chicago Style. When in Chicago it was always Giordanos. Now, it is Pequods. I am kind of a traditionalist, no funky shit on my pizza. No white sauce, no chicken, no pineapple. Give some mozz, some red sauce, some sausage, ham, pepperoni, salami, bacon, burger and some red peppers. They don't all have to be on at once, but those are the ingredients I stick with.

I did get tricky and made a thick neopolitan pizza on the grill a few weeks back. Real mozz was the kicker.
Amen on the no funky stuff! Although I can handle a hawaiian. But that's out of the ordinary as I go with pizza. And please... no BBQ sauce! That's just wrong! :shock:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Pequods is the bee's knees, but I hate that it's become so popular now that delivery times on the weekends approach 2 hours... insanity! Pepperoni and garlic for me when I'm at that joint... instant boner/coma.

docc
Head Coach

I AM a pizza guy.. Deep Dish.."maybe" at Uno..
Thin crust..is my addiction..
Rosati Pizza owner retired here to Tucson..as did Luke From Luke's Italian Beef n Dogs...

Thin crust..and then you can shove more pieces in the grille..w BEER..!
wab
Mod

Pizza is like sex. Even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Have you tried either Lou Malnati's, Giordano's or Gino's East?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Deep dish isn't an every week thing, but I eat it 2-3 times a year, especially when I can get a trip in to Chicago.

But I can eat just about anything on pizza. Local place near me makes slices to order and my latest monthly addiction is anchovies and jalapenos.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
makaur
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:Pizza is like sex. Even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good.
Probably one of my favorite quotes from when we all used to be on that “other” site...
dplank
Hall of Famer

It's Ginos East in a landslide for me.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:It's Ginos East in a landslide for me.
Are you familiar with the term "basic white girl"

:wink:

UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Have you tried either Lou Malnati's, Giordano's or Gino's East?
Giordano's and a local place called Papa Del's (makes only deep dish). It's all just too much, man. If I wanted that much meat and bread and sauce I'd make lasagna or spaghetti and be happier for it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote:
Probably one of my favorite quotes from when we all used to be on that “other” site...

:thumbsup:

I too appreciate all kinds of pizza, but deep dish has a special calling to me, more so now that I can only get it when I am back in Chicago a few times a year

I remember being excited about seeing Pizzaria Uno show up on the east coast and how disappointed I was that the east coast version of deep dish was terrible ... but, I have many good flat pizza places to choose from so it isn't like I am in some pizza wilderness

hmmmmm ... I think I just talked myself into getting one shipped to me from the original Uno's :hungry:
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
makaur wrote:

I too appreciate all kinds of pizza, but deep dish has a special calling to me, more so now that I can only get it when I am back in Chicago a few times a year

I remember being excited about seeing Pizzaria Uno show up on the east coast and how disappointed I was that the east coast version of deep dish was terrible ... but, I have many good flat pizza places to choose from so it isn't like I am in some pizza wilderness

hmmmmm ... I think I just talked myself into getting one shipped to me from the original Uno's :hungry:
Don’t get one shipped, you save on the crazy overnight shipping if you order a few. Every one I’ve ever had shipped to me came overnight packed in dry ice and the shipping cost a fortune.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Depends on your definition of sex. And pizza. :-P

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I haven't had Gino's East in a hundred years. That needs to change like soon. Time to take the family out to dinner one of these days.

My go-to for deep dish is Giordano's and its awesome, but Gino's is in another league. Sausage and pepperoni with red pepper flakes. Add mushrooms and onions from time to time also.

Rosati's is my standard place for regular pizza, but for deep dish it's Giordano's.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Umbali wrote:I love all pizza...but deep dish doesnt work well with the large amount of beer that I will consume prior to the pizza lol
LOL so true... I love deep dish but man if I have 1 beer while eating it my stomach bloats up and the car ride home usually consists of the window down no matter what temp it's outside cause of the lethal butt sneezes.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
makaur wrote:

Don’t get one shipped, you save on the crazy overnight shipping if you order a few. Every one I’ve ever had shipped to me came overnight packed in dry ice and the shipping cost a fortune.

yeah ... the prices are pretty steep ... but I think it will be worth it to have a few in the freezer for when I get the craving
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

Uno's also opened here in Tucson..not a fan and the other side of the valley..30 miles away. Rosati about 6 miles..and great thin crust..so even a diabetic like me can indulge ...

Edit.. I guess other folks felt the same..googled..and nearest is in Las Cruces NM..Tucson store closed. Tucson is filled with Chicago and Midwest folks. We have Chicago Bar owner from Berwyn ..Lukes..even the folks that I used to eat at their place as a kid..near Steinmetz HS.. Lots of Bear fans..but we get Ass Packers slide down here..but out numbered..
New Yorkers go to Fla..Midwest come here..
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ever get hard reading about pizza? Me too.