CFL 2018

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so I've been slacking on my annual CFL thread, primarily because I haven't been watching as much as usual

Saskatchewan (my CFL team) is mediocre yet again ...

CFL Week begins 8 tonight, and even has Saskatchewan vs Edmonton .. I'll be watching the Bears pre-season game instead

https://www.cfl.ca/schedule/#week-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

standing can be seen here :

https://www.cfl.ca/standings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Blue Bomber fan here. My wife's cousin, Buck Pierce, is the QB coach. He had a decent career up there. Played for B C Lions and Winnipeg. he was a fan favorite in Winnipeg. He of course has a restaurant and potato chips named after him.

Some of the classic hits he took.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Johnny Manziel comeback tour headed for Montreal: QB set to make first CFL start
It looks like Johnny Manziel's decision to take his football talent to Canada is finally about to pay off.

After spending the first two months of his CFL career on the bench, Manziel will be making his first start of the season on Friday. Montreal Alouettes coach Mike Sherman made the announcement during a press conference on Tuesday. In a twist, the start will come against the same team that traded away Manziel less than two weeks ago.

Manziel's CFL career started back in May when he signed a two-year deal with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Although Johnny Football saw action in two preseason games with the Tiger-Cats, he didn't take a single snap as he sat behind starter Jeremiah Masoli during Hamilton's first five games of the regular season.

With Manziel sitting on the bench, the Tiger-Cats decided he was expendable, and on July 23, the team traded him away to Montreal in a blockbuster deal -- by CFL standards -- that saw Hamilton acquire two players and two future first-round picks (2020, 2021).

The trade to Montreal made sense and that's mostly because the deal reunited Manziel with Sherman, his old college coach at Texas A&M. During an interview on Monday, Sherman made it pretty clear that, unlike the Tiger-Cats, he wasn't going to keep Manziel on the bench forever.

"We didn't trade for Johnny to have him sit on the bench, so obviously, Johnny's come over here to get reps and become the best player he can become," Sherman said, via USA Today.

The Alouettes will be hoping that Manziel can provide them a much-needed spark. At 1-5, the team is currently tied for the worst record in the CFL.
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

May have to tune in and check it out. Like to see him do well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:May have to tune in and check it out. Like to see him do well.
Ditto!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I love watching any highlights of Manziel failing. Hated him pre-draft, said he'd drink or snort his way out of the league (don't remember which specifically).

As a prospect I really disliked Josh Allen for example, but I hate Manziel as a person almost as much as I do Winston.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

CFL Week 10 this week :

https://www.cfl.ca/schedule/#week-10

Current standings :

https://www.cfl.ca/standings/
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Johnny Manziel placed in concussion protocol; medication also might be causing his symptoms
Johnny Manziel was placed in the Canadian Football League’s concussion protocol Wednesday, although it is unclear whether his symptoms were the consequence of a huge hit he took in the Montreal Alouettes’ loss Saturday or a side effect of medication he is taking for what he has said is bipolar disorder.

“On Tuesday morning, Johnny Manziel mentioned to our medical staff that he felt symptoms that could be associated with the prescribed medication he uses for a previously diagnosed medical condition,” the Alouettes said in a statement. “He then missed practice in order to have some bloodwork done.

“In view of the hit he received on Saturday and the potential mitigating side effects of his prescribed medication, the Alouettes medical staff has placed Manziel under the CFL concussion protocol for further observation and precautionary reasons. Manziel will be closely observed and assessed in the next few days.”

Manziel remained in the game after a hit at the goal line led to a fumble that a teammate recovered for a touchdown. “Ran into a brick wall,” Manziel said of the play after the game. “That defense was fast, that defense was big and aggressive. They hit hard, they’re quick. But like I told these guys, you’re not going to take me out like that.” In his second start since being traded to Montreal, he completed 16 of 26 passes for 168 yards and rushed for 36 yards, including the play that resulted in the touchdown. Coach Mike Sherman defended the decision to allow Manziel, whose style of play leads to big hits, to keep playing.

On the drive back from Ottawa, Sherman said that Manziel seemed fine; he attended quarterback meetings both Tuesday and Wednesday.

“If I knew there was anything wrong with Johnny. . . I would never put a player in harm’s way and neither would this organization,” Sherman said. “The doctors looked at him. The spotter looked at him. He recited the playbook to us, which is not an easy thing to do. So at the point, he was ready to go in.”
George Carlin