Trade Help

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

This guy from work in one of my leagues is a Packer nut, will give up anything for Aaron Rodgers. Here's the trade, should I execute?

Packer Nut gets:
-QB Aaron Rodgers (9th overall value)
-RB Marion Barber (58th overall)

I get:
-QB Peyton Manning (23rd overall)
-RB Jamaal Charles (53rd overall)

No? Yes?
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

My initial thought is to ask for a little more if he really is willing to give up anything for Rodgers. Variables include how the rest of your roster looks and how your league is scored. Both QBs are good for about 4,250 yards, so that doesn't gain or lose you anything. Manning turns the ball over just a little more than Rodgers.

One thing that favors you in the current trade offer is Charles ran for 1,120 yards last year. Barber has never gone over a thousand rushing in his career, and Charles doesn't have a Felix Jones to split touches with.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gaba
Head Coach

Two words... Thomas Jones.

(Two more... keep Rodgers.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

I've got a pretty damned good roster. He doesn't have any other running backs that allure me. Rushing touchdowns are 6 points, the most desired form of scoring in my league. All other touchdowns are 4 points. Barber's my 3rd RB. I picked him up due to his likely use in goal line situations. Here's my roster, of which I'm very satisfied, this is a 12-team league:

Aaron Rodgers
Jahvid Best
Jonathan Stewart
Johnny Knox
Miles Austin
Jeremy Maclin
Dallas Clark
Robbie Gould
NY Giants Def/ST
-------------------------------
Matt Ryan
Willis McGahee
Marion Barber
Joshua Cribbs
Austin Collie
Jermaine Gresham
Adam Vinatieri
Washington Redskins Def/ST
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

If this isn't PPR, no way you even consider that trade.

Even if it is, you're not getting a ton of value for easily the top rated QB in this years FF draft.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'd rather have Peyton Manning than Rodgers... but that's just me, I guess. There are fantasy draft ratings, and then there is what I see with my own eyes. I'd rather have Manning, Brady or Brees. As a matter of fact, I'd rather have Cutler.

Clip & save.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Many expect Rogers to cross the 40 TD plateau this year (which his quite rare). Some are even drawing comparisons to Brady's magical season just a couple years back.

There is no safer pick in FF then Manning, but Rogers has far more value in drafts this year.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I would ask for another WR based on your roster if I was giving up Rodgers.

Also, I would not waste a roster spot by holding 2 kickers.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:Many expect Rogers to cross the 40 TD plateau this year (which his quite rare).
Not with his current O-line.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

imprint3454 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Many expect Rogers to cross the 40 TD plateau this year (which his quite rare).
Not with his current O-line.

I know what you are saying, but remember that that line was much - much better in the second half last year,

41 of the 50 sacks they surrendered were in the first 10 weeks (9 games), only 9 over the last 7 weeks.
IE
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:
imprint3454 wrote: Not with his current O-line.
I know what you are saying, but remember that that line was much - much better in the second half last year.
So was the Bears Oline... much better in the second half - esp the last 4-5. So naturally - that's why they're making changes!

Wasn't GB's line improved once they brought back one or two old, retired guys? Are they still there?

I really don't care what Fantasy folks expect... I don't expect Rodgers to get to 40 this year. I expect him to have fewer TD passes than Cutler.

My advice to UOK is to grab Manning. With Dallas Clark on your roster, you're golden my friend!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Rodgers is definitely top 3-5 QBs in the league (I had him in the top 10 before the '09 season.) I just don't see him increasing his touchdown passes by 10 (25%) over last year.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Nor do I.

My point was that he has much more value in FF then Manning. So UOK should get more. I'm totally comfortable with trading Rogers for Manning, just get enough value in return.
gaba
Head Coach

Based on almost no knowledge of fantasy sports... the RB trade would seem to be more of a problem. Jamaal Charles may be a damn good RB, but he's a damn good backup running back now.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!