Ok, how bad is my team?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Alright, so I've never done fantasy football before but a bunch of guys at work talked me into trying it out this year. I think they just want my $20. Anyway, we just got done with our draft and this is what I ended up with:

DEF Pittsburgh Steelers (PIT) BW: 5
DEF New York Giants (NYG) BW: 8
K David Akers (PHI) BW: 8
QB Kevin Kolb (PHI) BW: 8
QB David Garrard (JAC) BW: 9
RB Maurice Jones-Drew (JAC) BW: 9
RB Cedric Benson (CIN) BW: 6
RB Knowshon Moreno (DEN) BW: 9
RB Felix Jones (DAL) BW: 4
TE Jason Witten (DAL) BW: 4
TE Chris Cooley (WAS) BW: 9
WR Larry Fitzgerald (ARI) BW: 6
WR Calvin Johnson (DET) BW: 7
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (SEA) BW: 5

Tell it like it is. What do you think?
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

You have no QB.

My gut feeling is Moreno's injury is going to linger him all season long.

Larry Fitzgerald is overrated and overdrafted for fantasy this year. See how he lost Boldin lining up on the other side and also lost Warner throwing to him, and gained Derek Anderson.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

QB is def not your strong point. I'd pray to god you can swing some kind of deal, or hope a random player springs up this season you can pick up off the scrap pile.

HB looks ok. MJD will carry your team. Benson will get the carries and some ok numbers, but he'll be losing stats this year now that Cincy has a 1-2 tandem with Scott behind Ced. I don't think Felix or Knoshon are going to be very helpful this season.

TE is solid. Cooley's good and will be better if McNabb gets healthy and puts something together. Witten is virtually a WR and will help shore up a bad week from your WR corps.

Speaking of WR's, Housh is overrated, but he could surprise. I don't think Seattle's gonna shock anyone, but hell who knows what could happen. Calvin Johnson should be decent if Stafford stays healthy.

I'd be all over any remaining free agents if you can right now. If you know someone that might be kind of football-retarded, see if you could swerve a deal, using Calvin Johnson and/or Larry Fitzgerald as bait. Maybe do a deal for Javhid Best or Arian Foster, maybe even Pierre Garcon or Johnny Knox. I'm not a fantasy guru or anything, but I've found that some years when I've had what looks like a shitty draft, give or take a FA those teams took me places. Then again I don't play for money.
wab
Mod

If you were collecting TOPPS cards it would look OK, but from a fantasy standpoint your only real big hitters are MJD and Megatron. Fitz won't have near the fantasy production this year. Benson should get some goal line carries, but his yardage will go down with Scott getting more time.

And...the biggest problem.....you have NO quarterback. You better pray to santa clause that Kevin Kolb breaks out this year, otherwise you need to package Jones and Fitz into some kind of deal for a decent QB.

Having said all this....I don't play fantasy football. :D
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Don't forget, most (good) fantasy sites had Kolb rated in the top 10 and above Cutler before his ruff preseaon, so there is some hope there.

You could try and package F. Jones and Guard and see if you get get an upside guy like Stafford.

If this is a PPR league, you're WR's are fine.
Xee
Site Admin

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try putting Fitz and Jones on the block and see what happens.
Xee
Site Admin

Well, so far someone offered:

Brandon Jacobs
Heath Miller
Sam Bradford

Personally though, I don't think I'll be getting any kind of upgrade. Jacobs was said to be terrible in the preseason, Bradford probably won't get any playing time, and I'm set at TE. Think I'm just going to stick with what I got and hope Kolb can actually do something.
wab
Mod

Yeah, I don't think you need another TE, and Jacobs has just lost it. Bradford might be a decent backup, but I wouldn't throw him out as your starter.

If that's all you got, then I'd stick with Kolb.