Lawsuit over Rams-Saints non-call can proceed

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it ain't over yet :

Lawsuit over Rams-Saints non-call can proceed
NEW ORLEANS -- A Louisiana judge ruled Thursday that a damage lawsuit can continue against the NFL over the playoff non-call that helped the Los Angeles Rams beat the New Orleans Saints and advance to the Super Bowl.

State Civil District Court Judge Nicole Sheppard also ruled that attorney Antonio "Tony" LeMon can request documents and ask questions of NFL officials. LeMon said that means he will be able to question commissioner Roger Goodell and three game officials in depositions about the lack of a penalty -- pass interference or roughness -- against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for his helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Tommylee Lewis well before a pass arrived. The play came during a crucial point in January's NFC title game.

Attorneys representing the NFL in the case didn't immediately respond to emailed requests for comment. LeMon said he was informed Thursday that NFL attorneys, whose bid to stop the suit was rejected, would seek relief at a state appellate court.

LeMon said money isn't the object of the February suit he and three others filed, which alleges fraud by NFL officials. It seeks only $75,000, which LeMon said would go to charity.

"The purpose of the lawsuit is not to get some minuscule amount of money. They won't even notice that," LeMon said. "It's to get at the truth."

might be interesting to hear how this is explained, in court and under oath
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I would imagine their escalated appeals will succeed.

Can you imagine the shitshow if every single botched official/umpire/referee judgement call was subject to an official inquiry? And possibly damages for failing to get 100% of the calls right?

And if we can sue officials for not getting 100% of the calls right, why can't I sue a player for damages when they don't perform correctly 100% of the time?

Throw an interception that costs us the game? Lawsuit with damages.
Goal line fumble? Lawsuit with damages.
Fail to pick up the blitzer that was your assignment? Lawsuit with damages.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

It will get dropped at some point or just chalked up to human error within the realm of the game.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Just plain stupid. Its a game.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Goodell, title game officials to face questions on ‘no-call’
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A Louisiana judge ordered that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and three officials from January’s NFC title game be questioned under oath in September about the infamous “no-call” that helped the Los Angeles Rams beat the New Orleans Saints in January’s NFC title game, a lawyer said Monday.

Attorney Antonio LeMon, who filed a lawsuit over the game that advanced the Rams to the Super Bowl, said he and league attorneys will pick a mutually agreeable date for depositions in New Orleans — barring any league appeals that might delay or cancel the questioning.

A league spokesman declined comment.

LeMon’s lawsuit seeks $75,000 in damages — to be donated to charity — over the failure to flag a pass interference or roughness penalty against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for his helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Tommylee Lewis well before a pass arrived. The no-call came at a crucial point in the game against the New Orleans Saints. The Rams won and advanced to the Super Bowl.

State Civil District Court Judge Nicole Sheppard of New Orleans ruled earlier this month that LeMon’s lawsuit could proceed. She also ruled then that LeMon can request documents and ask questions of NFL officials. She said Monday that depositions should take place in September. She also set Aug. 22 for the next hearing in the lawsuit, according to LeMon.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
GSH
MVP

best case scenario this gets thrown out but the NFL brings in more video replay review on plays such as this, introduce some new kind of rule for it.

However, you have to assume this gets thrown out on further appeal based on the fact that by playing the game you are basically accepting that the ref's word is final under the current rules.

Whole thing is pretty silly but I know if we were in the saints position, we would feel hard done by.

Zach Miller was robbed of his TD though, so suck it saints!