Horrendous Grasu

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Thank you John Jurkovich on AM 1000 for sharing that reference this morning. I love it! :rofl:

Does anybody else think that our 2015 R3 selection should be just turned loose, despite our bringing his former college coach onto our staff? That's my position. When the guy hasn't been injured, he's been weak and terrible. So what's the point? I contend that Harry Hiestand won't be able to do miracles with a guy who just has one gear... reverse.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Let him get thru OTAs and training camp with Heistand before you cut bait. He is under contract and maybe learning new, better technique will be the answer. This staff maybe what the dr ordered for Grasu. Hold on and see what happens.
Wounded Bear
MVP

What I see is a player with not very much upper or lower body strength. Certainly techniques can help you compensate for some of that, but since Hiestand coached him in college, I would assume that he has already coached him up on that. I doubt that Hiestand's coaching of techniques for the pros will differ much from what he would coach a lineman at the University level.

Ultimately, there has got to be a FA out there with a higher floor and ceiling than Horrendous Grasu.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Sounds fair and risk free other than keeping another body out of camp. I just have little faith and find the name to be perfect. Little. Faith.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

malk
Head Coach

If were moving to a different defensive scheme there seems little point in cutting him before we see if he fits it better than the old one.

I've got hope if not expectation.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:If were moving to a different defensive scheme there seems little point in cutting him before we see if he fits it better than the old one.

so Grasu being converted to 5T?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
malk wrote:If were moving to a different defensive scheme there seems little point in cutting him before we see if he fits it better than the old one.

I'm open!

wab
Mod

He's got a similar skill set to Roberto Garza, who Heistand coached, and Helfrich is there now so I'd at least see what he does in camp.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

Or we need help at corner.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I will say that Grasu going into the 2016 TC before he got hurt, there were reports that he was definitely stronger coming in from his rookie season. Tearing his ACL obviously derailed him a bit. Going into the 2017 TC, he spent most of his time rehabbing and probably wasn't able to regain some of that strength he built up during the 2016 offseason.

I wouldn't cut bait on him just yet. New scheme, new coaches - he's healthy - let's see what he can do.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Yeah, I don't think he should be cut. Not yet anyway. Especially with the Bears guards not exactly pillars of health lately.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:What I see is a player with not very much upper or lower body strength. Certainly techniques can help you compensate for some of that, but since Hiestand coached him in college, I would assume that he has already coached him up on that. I doubt that Hiestand's coaching of techniques for the pros will differ much from what he would coach a lineman at the University level.

Ultimately, there has got to be a FA out there with a higher floor and ceiling than Horrendous Grasu.
I don't think Heistand ever had Grasu in college. Grasu was an Oregon guy, Heistand ND guy.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

As my answer for every player not named Mike Glennon is, keep him. Until we no longer have plenty of cap space or until the first round of cuts there is no reason to cut people, yet. Lets see how these guys do with the new coaching staff. With that said if he is cut I won't lose any sleep over it.
Middleguard
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Sounds fair and risk free other than keeping another body out of camp. I just have little faith and find the name to be perfect. Little. Faith.
Really? Another camp body to save less than 1M? It's a new offense, but Grasu will certainly be able to pick up the center's calls faster than "another body." Practices don't go so well if the center doesn't know what he's doing.
BR0D1E86
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote:As my answer for every player not named Mike Glennon is, keep him. Until we no longer have plenty of cap space or until the first round of cuts there is no reason to cut people, yet. Lets see how these guys do with the new coaching staff. With that said if he is cut I won't lose any sleep over it.
Glennon and Cooper should be cut a month ago. Probably Wheaton too, but I’m willing to let a halfway competent offensive staff have a say in that before it happens.
wab
Mod

Not every free agent that Pace signed last off-season is gonna get cut. Glennon yeah. Maybe Demps. A lot of these guys that are one multi year guys are still gonna be around.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Otis Day wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:What I see is a player with not very much upper or lower body strength. Certainly techniques can help you compensate for some of that, but since Hiestand coached him in college, I would assume that he has already coached him up on that. I doubt that Hiestand's coaching of techniques for the pros will differ much from what he would coach a lineman at the University level.

I don't think Heistand ever had Grasu in college. Grasu was an Oregon guy, Heistand ND guy.
Derp. You're absolutely correct. Sorry about that one. Got my wires crossed with Helfrich.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
cblaz11
MVP

I think we keep Cooper. His contract isn't crazy and he flashed last year, he's insurance if we lose Prince or Fuller. Year two with Vic should help.

Glennon should be cut, Wheaton, Young, Demps..hold off on others
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

i don't know if jarrell freeman is a free agent, but if he isn't, i'd give him the ax.