Nick Foles Turned Down Browns Starting QB Job

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Eagles turned down trade with Browns, who offered 35th pick for Nick Foles
The Browns wanted Nick Foles, offering the 35th overall pick to the Eagles for the Super Bowl LII MVP, Mike Silver of NFL Media reports. The Eagles presented the deal to Foles, who said he would prefer to remain in Philadelphia.

That started the dominoes falling another way.

The Eagles reworked Foles’ deal, giving him a $2 million bonus and incentives that allow him to earn up to $14 million. He also now has a mutual option to remain in Philadelphia in 2019.

The spurned Browns turned to Plan B, sending a third-round pick to the Bills for Tyrod Taylor. Cleveland then drafted Baker Mayfield with the No. 1 overall choice.

The Eagles still could trade Foles before the October 30 deadline if Carson Wentz has returned to form. Philadelphia’s starting quarterback was on the practice field Tuesday, although he didn’t participate in team activities as he continues to rehab his left knee.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I can't blame him. The Browns are the opposite of NFL royalty - they are a franchise that while tentatively on the rise, has been plagued by mismanaged, quickfire turnover, and general incompetence in all things for almost 20 years.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Was it really ever a starting job? I think the Browns were gonna draft a QB no matter what and he'd be a backup again as soon as they lose a few games. He's a backup in the NFL now and he knows it. Better to be a backup behind a nice guy on a team that appreciates him in a city that LOVES him.
xyt in the discord chats
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He knows he won a Super Bowl and knows that the team he is currently on respected him enough to come to him with the deal and give him a chance to say no. What more could you ask for. I think he can start in the league. He is a helluva a lot better than Blake Bortles.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:He knows he won a Super Bowl and knows that the team he is currently on respected him enough to come to him with the deal and give him a chance to say no. What more could you ask for. I think he can start in the league. He is a helluva a lot better than Blake Bortles.
In fairness, we don't know if anyone else tried to acquire him. Maybe the Jags and others made him an offer to come in and compete and it hasn't leaked
xyt in the discord chats
LacertineForest
MVP

Foles claims he was never asked about the trade:

Nick Foles: I never heard about Browns trade offer

I have a feeling he's not too disappointed - crueltyabc made a pretty strong argument as to why - but at the same time I'm sure he really wants to be a starter somewhere. He's not going to get a job starting for the Patriots - whatever team would trade for him will probably be pretty bad.
Richie
MVP

Well, I'd personally love to go and play for Cleveland right now. IMO, they're doing some very nice things and will be competing soon. When the Browns do eventually (one day) have a team their city can be proud of - you just know they'll be royalty. Especially if they win a SB. I'd love to be apart of that.

However, I do agree with some of what is stated above. Foles is already beloved in Philly and is basically immortalized as the QB who finally got them a ring. Just stay there and be backup until you ride off into the sunset. Can't blame for not wanting to go be a stop-gap/bridge QB in a rebuild.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

the Brown's have a pretty youthful but talented roster. If they are able to develop personnel they could be good quick. Joe Thomas leaving hurt and it's not a complete team yet. As long as that office continues down this path, they could be very successful.