Can the Bears Actually Secure a Bye?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Bears Super Bowl chances go up considerably if they can make the road go through Soldier Field. Making either the Rams or the Saints have to play in the frozen tundra.

Which scenario would be the most plausible? It's a LONG shot. A real long shot. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

First the Bears have to win out. But which team falters? My feeling is it's the Saints. They really came crashing back down to Earth against the Cowboys, and the first half of the Bucs game. I think they are going to have a tough time in Carolina, and against Pittsburgh. The question is. If the Bears and Saints end up with the same record. Who has the tie breaker? Both teams beat the Rams.

How does this work out?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I really don't foresee the Saints faltering. I think Payton and Brees bring them guys back around. Carolina is dying a slow death and those guys I believe are giving up.

Pittsburgh is in trouble as well. They have talent, but something is going on with that team. They have fallen off big time lately.

Rams have Phil at home, AZ on the road and the 9ers at home, I believe they win out. Eagles, don't know WTF happened there.

I am confident the Bears finish no worse than 2-1 (fucking Packers have me doubting a sweep).
Richie
MVP

This was a scenario that I was all over until we lost at NYG. That ship sailed, unfortunately.

However.... if we're talking hypotheticals. We would have the tie-breaker, with the better conference record if we were both to finish 12-4.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Richie wrote:This was a scenario that I was all over until we lost at NYG. That ship sailed, unfortunately.
Im with Richie. The talk for a bye was before the Giants game. Losing that killed our chances. Let’s lock up the division now and then get ready for the playoffs. And with how this team plays with extended time off not having a bye/homefield may be a blessing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Not sure. It's possible for the Saints to lose to the Panthers in Carolina. I could see where McCaffrey runs for 700 yards against that defense, and Pittsburgh's defense could cause problems for New Orleans. It's a LONG shot, but it's still possible.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
Richie wrote:This was a scenario that I was all over until we lost at NYG. That ship sailed, unfortunately.
Im with Richie. The talk for a bye was before the Giants game. Losing that killed our chances. Let’s lock up the division now and then get ready for the playoffs. And with how this team plays with extended time off not having a bye/homefield may be a blessing.

the loss to the Giants was so frustrating on so many levels ... and yeah, that pretty much took the Bears out of the first round bye discussion

mathematically it could still happen, but they need help from both the Saints and Rams stumbling down the stretch, which I don't see happening

and you're right - the Bears probably are better off not having a week off during the playoffs
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Same. I thought it a moderately realistic possibility until that game. I don’t think it is anymore.

Hopefully that was the wake up call though. Nagy talked about how well the team handled that loss that he knew they’d come out ready to go against the Rams.
G08
Hall of Famer

So we can make the playoffs if:

Bears beat Green Bay (clinch playoff berth)

Redkins lose to Jaguars (clinch playoff berth)

Vikings lose to Seattle and we beat Green Bay (win NFC North)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:

the loss to the Giants was so frustrating on so many levels ... and yeah, that pretty much took the Bears out of the first round bye discussion

mathematically it could still happen, but they need help from both the Saints and Rams stumbling down the stretch, which I don't see happening

and you're right - the Bears probably are better off not having a week off during the playoffs
Not just the Giants loss, but GB, NE, and MIA too. Each one of those four games were very winnable. While it is frustrating this team has shown it can compete and beat anybody.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:So we can make the playoffs if:

Yeah, the playoffs magic number is 1. A win or a Josh Johnson led Redskins loss.

The division is 2. Could be 1 if Seattle takes care of bidniss tonight.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

No.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

nope
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Yeah, the playoffs magic number is 1. A win or a Josh Johnson led Redskins loss.

So if we win the division, would we get one of the wild card teams at home? What's the projection at this point? Ireally don't want to play the Seahawks. I think they're playing well right now, and will hopefully beat the shit out of the Viqueens tonight.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

So if we win the division, would we get one of the wild card teams at home? What's the projection at this point? Ireally don't want to play the Seahawks. I think they're playing well right now, and will hopefully beat the shit out of the Viqueens tonight.
Yeah, we’d automatically host a wild card game. As of a couple hours before MNF, we would host the Vikings. As long as we stay in front of the Cowboys we will host the 6 seed.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Yeah, we’d automatically host a wild card game. As of a couple hours before MNF, we would host the Vikings. As long as we stay in front of the Cowboys we will host the 6 seed.
I want no part of the Vikings. I'm hoping for the Seahawks. Not sure about the Cowboys.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I go back and forth on this. As much as I would love to have home-field, I'm not sure that I want the Bears to have a bye.
obviously, if we get beat up in the next 3 weeks it would be helpful, but I'd prefer to go into the playoffs with a head of steam.
I also don't want to wind up playing the Vikings two weeks in a row so, go Seahawks!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:I go back and forth on this. As much as I would love to have home-field, I'm not sure that I want the Bears to have a bye.
obviously, if we get beat up in the next 3 weeks it would be helpful, but I'd prefer to go into the playoffs with a head of steam.
I also don't want to wind up playing the Vikings two weeks in a row so, go Seahawks!
I don't know. Kirk Cousins is not playing well right now. He has been awful in this game against the Seahawks.
docc
Head Coach

..Hags..punch another in,,
21-0..poor Queens..
G08
Hall of Famer

It's official: If the Chicago Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers this Sunday, we will be NFC North Champions and playoff bound!!!
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

MN played bad, but got screwed on the FG block that should've been a 15 yard penalty that would've given them 1st down on the 17 with a lot of time left and down 6.

Playing at home I don't care who we face. We can beat MN, Seattle is not the same team on the road, and Panthers are in a free fall.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:It's official: If the Chicago Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers this Sunday, we will be NFC North Champions and playoff bound!!!
WHEN the Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers.
And enjoy trying to defend Tarik Cohen in the playoffs.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
G08 wrote:It's official: If the Chicago Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers this Sunday, we will be NFC North Champions and playoff bound!!!
WHEN the Bears defeat the Green Bay Packers.
And enjoy trying to defend Tarik Cohen in the playoffs.
I mean! How fucking perfect would that be? At home, against the Pukers. They are going to want to play spoiler though. Really bad. Fuck 'em. I'm full meatball this week. I've got a 1/2 barrel full of Kool-aid and I'm doing keg stands. I'm all in!

GO BEARS!!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

And it is going to happen. This is a WHEN not an IF.

We have an opportunity for a KO punch against that fucking franchise that probably wouldn't even have a team if the league started today. This is like throwing The One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom level shit.

Fuck the Packers.
Richie
MVP

Well, the 1st round bye chances became somewhat real again. The Rams are playing pretty poor football the last two weeks and anything could happen.

My issue? I think we lose to San Fran this week. Even if Jackson is healthy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Well, the 1st round bye chances became somewhat real again. The Rams are playing pretty poor football the last two weeks and anything could happen.

SF is playing really good football right now, and seem to be inspired behind 3rd stringer Mullens.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Richie wrote:Well, the 1st round bye chances became somewhat real again. The Rams are playing pretty poor football the last two weeks and anything could happen.

SF is playing really good football right now, and seem to be inspired behind 3rd stringer Mullens.
I like that kid in that offense, man...