Am I the only one not chugging the Kool-Aid?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not judging or complaining about those who have busted out the beer bongs -- but I have been wondering what the hell has been wrong with me lately. Today it hit me...

The last time I was excited about an offensive head coach, it was Marc Trestman. Sure, I got to enjoy the #2 scoring offense in the NFL his first season, but we still managed to not make the playoffs due to Aaron Rodgers gutting us.

Looking even further back... I was so sure that Jay Cuter was the missing piece to our (at the time) elite defense that I was foaming at the mouth waiting for the 2009 season to start. Anyone remember that game?

That's right... Sunday Night Football, at Green Bay. Colossal letdown.

Fast forward to now and it's like both those fucking scenarios met at a bar, got hammered, banged and out came the 2018 football season. I can't tell you the last time we've had this much (potential) talent on the offensive side of the ball fused with a head coach that is coming from what I consider to be the most exciting brand of offensive football. Combine that with a (franchise?) QB who is beloved by his teammates and coaches/ownership and you have a recipe for something special. Then we add Khalil Mack in a blockbuster trade and you have visions of an already top 10 defense moving up to elite status.

Oh, and we get to open on Sunday Night Football, at Green Bay. I know I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much, but I have to be honest in that it fucking sucks. I miss feeling the adrenaline coursing through my veins and being so restless and pissed off that today is only Wednesday.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else feel different about this season than year's past? Have I become a jaded Bears fan that demands that they "prove it first" before they get to earn my passion?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yes, you're jaded. And I've been with your skepticism, predicting 7-9 all this offseason. I have indeed watched Biscuit closely and do like what I see in him and think he's going to eventually be a quality player, if not Joe Montana. But the Kahlil Mack thing just got me. Two time all pros and former DPOY guys DON'T get traded at age 27. That just doesn't happen. But it did and I'm stunned. And excited. I've got my optimism somewhat tempered, only predicting 9-7 now. But those shackles are going to come off, assuming Biscuit shows some real growth, which I don't expect to see until near the end of the season.

I will say that if we put up 6 wins or less his year, that's going to be one horrifying let down for Bear fans generally. And maybe you are just understandably reining in your expectations just in case. I can relate. But I'm starting to lose that battle as my natural optimism can't help but ooze out with our latest new toy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Appreciate the reply... but that's the thing man! Those players DO NOT get traded in their prime. Do they know something we don't know? Or are the Raiders just that fucking stupid?

Huh... might have answered my own question.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:Appreciate the reply... but that's the thing man! Those players DO NOT get traded in their prime. Do they know something we don't know? Or are the Raiders just that fucking stupid?

Unless of course, Khalil Mack doesnt wind up being npt worth his price tag..
G08
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:
G08 wrote:Appreciate the reply... but that's the thing man! Those players DO NOT get traded in their prime. Do they know something we don't know? Or are the Raiders just that fucking stupid?

I dunno... while Cutler was coming off a Pro Bowl season, he had warts on tape and -- let's be honest here -- Chicago for the longest time had no idea how to develop a QB. Like at all.

Mack... the stats back up his play and for fucks sake he was the DPOY two seasons ago. And now he's only 27?

tjs
Journeyman

As a kid, I was often sent to my room and not allowed to watch the Bears game because I was so negative about bad plays and would get so heated.

I like to think I've learned. Now I think-what is the point of being a football fan if you're not excited about the team and the players and can't wait to watch and root them on? not saying you won't root them on, and they very well might let us down, but the fun is getting excited and hoping the year might be different, seeing the new growth of the young players, and then getting excited about THOSE players!

at least that's my opinion. I'm all in. if they get 6 wins, I'm gonna enjoy and savor those 6 wins.
Last edited by tjs on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:

So are you saying if he IS worth his price tag then he's not worth it. I think there's a double negative in there, so I'm a bit confused. I assume you mean that the trade wouldn't be worth it, IF he doesn't ball out. Don't see that happening. That's not in his personality.
G08
Hall of Famer

tjs wrote:As a kid, I was often sent to my room and not allowed to watch the Bears game because I was so negative about bad plays and would get so heated.

I like to think I've learned. Now I think-what is the point of being a football fan if you're not excited about the team and the players and can't wait to watch and root them on? not saying you won't root them on, and they very well might let us down, but the fun is getting excited and hoping the year might be different, seeing the new growth of the young players, and then getting excited about them!

at least that's my opinion. I'm all in. if they get 6 wins, I'm gonna enjoy and savor those 6 wins.
That's a great point, man

Davantesghost
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:

I dunno... while Cutler was coming off a Pro Bowl season, he had warts on tape and -- let's be honest here -- Chicago for the longest time had no idea how to develop a QB. Like at all.

Mack... the stats back up his play and for fucks sake he was the DPOY two seasons ago. And now he's only 27?
Yea, but you gave up alot of draft capital for him and then made him the highest paid D player in history.

He could end up being awesome and still not worth the price.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I'm not judging or complaining about those who have busted out the beer bongs -- but I have been wondering what the hell has been wrong with me lately. Today it hit me...

The last time I was excited about an offensive head coach, it was Marc Trestman. Sure, I got to enjoy the #2 scoring offense in the NFL his first season, but we still managed to not make the playoffs due to Aaron Rodgers gutting us.

Looking even further back... I was so sure that Jay Cuter was the missing piece to our (at the time) elite defense that I was foaming at the mouth waiting for the 2009 season to start. Anyone remember that game?

Fast forward to now and it's like both those fucking scenarios met at a bar, got hammered, banged and out came the 2018 football season. I can't tell you the last time we've had this much (potential) talent on the offensive side of the ball fused with a head coach that is coming from what I consider to be the most exciting brand of offensive football. Combine that with a (franchise?) QB who is beloved by his teammates and coaches/ownership and you have a recipe for something special. Then we add Khalil Mack in a blockbuster trade and you have visions of an already top 10 defense moving up to elite status.

Oh, and we get to open on Sunday Night Football, at Green Bay. I know I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much, but I have to be honest in that it fucking sucks. I miss feeling the adrenaline coursing through my veins and being so restless and pissed off that today is only Wednesday.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else feel different about this season than year's past? Have I become a jaded Bears fan that demands that they "prove it first" before they get to earn my passion?
Brother...I am so psyched for this game. With this offense, these weapons, this HC, this OC. This defense, this DC, AND THEN the addition for Khalil Mack! I am amped. I predicted the Bears would win the game by a tuddy.

All of that being said. I fully expect to be disappointed the first game of the year against GB. I expect Biscuits to throw 3 picks, I expect our OL to make grandpa Matthews relevant again. I expect that there will be confusion in the secondary, and Rodgers will hit Cobb on a 65yd strike for a TD. I expect what looks to be a sure sack of Rodgers to turn into a 43yd scamper on 3rd & 17, for a 1st down.

I expect all of this, because I am a Bears fan that has lived through the Lovie, Trestman and Fox eras. Where this is what we have seen year in and year out since the turn of the 21st century, this is what I have been conditioned to believe our team is. Losers to Green Bay. In fact if we are winning by 24 points in the 4th quarter, I won't believe it until the clock reads 00:00.

But for some strange reason, I still believe. Being a sports fan is a bitch.
makaur
Pro Bowler

Few comments to G08’s post...

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Urlacher break his wrist in that 2009 opener? I remember it completely deflated the team...kind of like how I feel when I spend my entire day staring at this chick in my office (who has a perfect body), I get every visual of her curves completely memorized, she even smiles at me when she walks by my desk...then I get home and the wife says to me, “Sorry, not tonight.” I f*cking hate that feeling.

As for Trestman, yes that offense (first year) could move the ball and score...but that defense was enough to make my testicles crawl upward through my body and make me vomit them out in a fiery rage. I can’t remember that dudes name (defensive coordinator) but I know he was at Georgia last year (Roquan Smith’s school) and their defense absolutely failed in the post season (should have lost to Oklahoma but then did lose in the title game against a QB that hadn’t played much at all that season).

I’m not saying to drink the Kool Aid...but there is some optimism building around this team. There will most definitely be some bumps in the road this season but I think this team will be greatly improved over the junior high football we have witnessed the past 5 seasons.
Last edited by makaur on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

@G08: <burp> yep.... LOL

I'm skeptical (every Bear fan should be to some extent) but I really believe this is the start of the next great team.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
IotaNet
MVP

makaur wrote: ... I can’t remember that dudes name (defensive coordinator) but I know he was at Georgia last year (Roquan Smith’s school) and their defense absolutely failed in the post season (should have lost to Oklahoma but then did lose in the title game against a QB that hadn’t played much at all that season)...
That would be Mel Tucker.
:puke:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
makaur wrote: ... I can’t remember that dudes name (defensive coordinator) but I know he was at Georgia last year (Roquan Smith’s school) and their defense absolutely failed in the post season (should have lost to Oklahoma but then did lose in the title game against a QB that hadn’t played much at all that season)...
Good God. He's still coaching defenses? I figured he'd be stocking shelves somewhere.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Idk whats wrong with you G08. I'm super hyped, I just refuse to show it.

Or maybe I do know whats wrong. I think its that the future looks bright with this team, but its very unlikely that they win this week. Maybe you just need to r-e-l-a-x
makaur
Pro Bowler

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Good God. He's still coaching defenses? I figured he'd be stocking shelves somewhere.
I would have guessed pumping gas but stocking shelves sounds more accurate.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

makaur wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Would have thought he'd be with Lovie trimming his beard and rubbing his feet down.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
thunderspirit
Head Coach

makaur wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
That same Mel Tucker is DC for the Georgia Bulldogs. :sick:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this Bears team. I was expecting 7-9 (hoping for 9-7) before Mack.
It's just, with Minnesota in the division, we're probably still looking up. And Green Bay is still Green Bay, they've had our number plenty of times before.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

thunderspirit wrote:
makaur wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
That same Mel Tucker is DC for the Georgia Bulldogs. :sick:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this Bears team. I was expecting 7-9 (hoping for 9-7) before Mack.
It's just, with Minnesota in the division, we're probably still looking up. And Green Bay is still Green Bay, they've had our number plenty of times before.
You should be more concerned about the team that led the division last year until their mega million $ QB went down. Not Minny.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I'm not judging or complaining about those who have busted out the beer bongs -- but I have been wondering what the hell has been wrong with me lately. Today it hit me...

I have a stock position of looking for reasons to be optimistic before the games start, that isn't to go full Kool-Aid and ignore glaring holes, inventing talent where it isn't there but equally, the hyper "realistic" (read pessimistic) view doesn't appeal either. It's a fair enough perspective for fandom but it isn't for me, or you, don't go to the dark side buddy!

I'm also really cautious about essentialising the past. I won't suggest that the Trestman era was ever going to lead to a championship but if he had someone other than Tucker and, say, Melton doesn't get injured, that season might have been 10-5 or 11-5. I've just looked back and reminded myself that the defence didn't keep any team under 20 points all year. Smdh. So yes it was bad, really bad, but it didn't have to be so and it could have been different.

Comparing to this year, the defence will be ok. It's almost inconceivable to me that it could be bad with Fangio and the players we have. So order to be as bad as the Trestman era, Nagy will need to be almost as bad ad Mel Tucker. That just isn't happening.

12-4 is obviously a stretch but our 5-11 2017 team, with one of the worst receiving corps in history, was within a field goal in three losses and a touchdown in a further two. We've lost no-one of real note (Unrein, Jones, Shaheen) and added Allen Robinson and Khalil Mack!

It's also worth mentioning the strength of schedule from last year. Football Outsiders put our defence as facing the second toughest SoS and the offence facing the 9th toughest. This season will not be that difficult.

To a large extent we go as far as Nagy and Trubisky carry us, that's the nature of the modern NFL. But there's a lot of low hanging fruit for us to improve. If Nagy and a year 2 Trubisky, with some weapons, can just get out of the bottom 10 offences we'll have a winning season. If they get to league average we're at 10-6. If Trubisky and Nagy's offence are the real deal, then the sky is the god damn limit.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
cblaz11
MVP

It was never more apparent to me how important coaching is then when I watched that Mel Tucker defense. We had a veteran defense that performed well in the past...he comes in, and they were terrible. How is that guy coaching still...

I’m very nervous about Mitch...we will find out very quickly what he is...I’m hoping it’s an elite QB, but our history would say he’s not.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have not tasted kool aid in quite some time. The Bears need to prove it. It has not been worth it to get all fired up and get the fire put out immediately. I have been in prove in mode for years. I don't buy hype, potential or hope. It is always show me what you got and then I will buy in. I do not expect playoffs and I do not expect a W Sunday night, but I believe the team is definitely improved. Tough ass division as well. Going to be an interesting year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: I’m very nervous about Mitch...we will find out very quickly what he is...I’m hoping it’s an elite QB, but our history would say he’s not.
Mitch has elite mobility and an elite arm. Here is what I see happening. Nagy was a QB. He was a rookie QB at some point. He KNOWS the importance of building on success to build confidence. Confidence builds decisive decision making...which makes a good QB. You make have heard the term "stacking" that Nagy has used in the preseason. He know the importance of stacking successes, of any kind, one on top of another. We are going to see Nagy give Biscuits quick short/medium/check-down reads. He is going to start stacking successes for Mitch, early in the game. Take the snap, go through a couple of reads, get the ball out quick. We have a lot of talented, young, fast players. Nagy will be concentrating on getting the ball into the hands of playmakers. Early and often. I would be surprised if we saw ANY seven step drops in the first half.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

One other thing to consider as the season goes on, is strength of schedule. We are listed as the 8th hardest. But that largely comes from three teams. The Pats, the Rams and the Vikings (x2). We play eight games against teams currently ranked #20 or lower. If we can win the games we should, and win a couple of toss-ups, this can be a 10 win team. We'll see though. That's why they play the games every week.

*SIGH* I need Sunday to get here...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have to go and read the whole thread but my opinion.

Your jaded, and older/ wiser, and married. All those things have a tendency to dull that hyper focus. You can only be disappointed so many times before you go numb (or atleast that's what she said).

Plus I am personally not sold on Mitch. He has really shown very little.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Am I the only one not chugging the Kool-Aid?
maybe not the only one but probably in the minority

all valid

but that shit changes on Sunday Night Sep 9 2018

G08 wrote:Fast forward to now and it's like both those fucking scenarios met at a bar, got hammered, banged and out came the 2018 football season. I can't tell you the last time we've had this much (potential) talent on the offensive side of the ball fused with a head coach that is coming from what I consider to be the most exciting brand of offensive football. Combine that with a (franchise?) QB who is beloved by his teammates and coaches/ownership and you have a recipe for something special. Then we add Khalil Mack in a blockbuster trade and you have visions of an already top 10 defense moving up to elite status.

as I admitted previously, I am an historic Kool Aid abuser ... year after year I find reasons to talk myself into anticipation and hope only to be disappointed with reality by game 10

but THIS year IS going to be different

I see a nice collection of new parts that are going to mesh into something very good in the near or immediate future rather than in years past where they would acquire maybe a part or 2 and try to fool themselves into thinking they are only that 1 guy away from success (see John Fox's tenure ... and his refusal to utilize his bench)

you are justified in being jaded

but I welcome you to curb that and take at least a sip

come on ... you know you wanna :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I have to go and read the whole thread but my opinion.

Your jaded, and older/ wiser, and married. All those things have a tendency to dull that hyper focus. You can only be disappointed so many times before you go numb (or atleast that's what she said).

Plus I am personally not sold on Mitch. He has really shown very little.
Very little what? He's entering his first full year, after playing for half a year with a defensive minded has-been, and Dowell fricking Loggains.

I'm not sold on Mitch Trubisky being an elite QB right now either. But I am sold on his athleticism, arm strength/accuracy, and demeanor. And I'm sold on Matt Nagy as a HC.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So you agreed with me and essentially made point.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:So you agreed with me and essentially made point.
Oh...maybe...

I thought by 'little' you meant ability.

So in essence, yes. I argued with you, in order to agree with you. It's a very effective technique.
dplank
Hall of Famer

You can be both a) super excited to finally have a good roster and coaching staff and b) cautious about our W/L prospects this first year under Nagy

But if you aren't excited about our prospects over the next 4 years, then you've gone full on curmudgeon. At that point, I suggest you just start watching Doogie Howser reruns instead of football.