Jerry Jones: 18 game NFL schedule brought up again

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malagabears
Journeyman

Jones has also been pushing for this major restructure of the schedule arguing that it would only take teams 2 preseason (I imagine he also refers to the multiple padded and non-padded practices in OTA's) games to ramp up. He also cites more than a billion $$ more revenue for the players. Are you in favor of a longer regular (real game) schedule? Why or why not?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ar-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has dusted off the argument for shifting the 16-and-four season structure to 18-and-two, with a preseason cut in half and the regular season expanded.

“I was a big advocate in the last negotiation,” Jones said after Sunday’s preseason snooze fest against the Cardinals, via Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News. “I made the presentation. You can see how I did.’’

Jones actually believes that a longer regular season and a shorter training camp/preseason would result in fewer, not more, concussions.

“I can make the case that we have an uptick in concussions in the preseason,” Jones said. “If you look at it, I would contend there would be less exposure.”

There also would be more money. A lot more money.

“It would provide more than $1 billion to the players,” Jones said. “It’s certainly worth considering. It would direct more value for what the players expend to the players
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Idiotic

• Players need less wear, not more (And "2+18 = less wear" is bullshit. 2+18 means less for backups and more for starters, who are the problem to begin with)
  • One of the reasons football is great is the short schedule where you can watch them all and all the games matter. Gradually stretching and stretching erodes that.
Is there any point at which these greedy fuckers say "we're doing fine, no need to milk it harder"?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:Is there any point at which these greedy fuckers say "we're doing fine, no need to milk it harder"?
Only when they kill off the golden goose entirely.

Of course, then they'll lament ho0w unfair it all was to them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If the owners really want to expand the season then it seems to me the most sensible option would be to replace a preseason game (or two) with a 17th regular season game held on 'neutral ground'. This would mean 16 such games a year, which could be played 2 a week during the middle of the season and be followed by the teams' bye week.

No team would lose a regular season home game (and the advantage that brings) and the NFL could generate interest around the world to grow their revenue. They already play international series games in London, Canada and Mexico (5 last year), which have proved very popular. They could seek to expand to places like Germany, Japan and Sweden (who all hosted exhibition games back in the 1980s/1990s) and try other countries like Ireland, Australia etc. If a game doesn't sell out or interest wains over time then they can move games to other locations. They could also play some games within the US in places that don't have a team nearby.

This would be far better than the notion of setting up an overseas franchise that has been rumoured, which would be a logistical nightmare, unpopular with players who don't want to be living outside the US, won't garner the full support of local fans who already support a wide variety of NFL teams and won't shift their allegiance, and would be disliked by US fans.

A neutral ground game once a year for every team would also help break up the grind of a long season for the players, as it would be something a little different. With a 17 week season, they should also reintroduce a second bye week to help players healthwise and look at the IR rules. It's nonsensical for a player to be unable to return from IR for the rest of the season when they might only need a few weeks to recover.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

this 18 game schedule being described as a "benefit" to the players is the same sort of illogical thinking that has them talking about the importance of player safety but subjecting the players to short week Thursday games every week

complete bullshit on both counts
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
jamus34
Journeyman

Boris13c wrote:this 18 game schedule being described as a "benefit" to the players is the same sort of illogical thinking that has them talking about the importance of player safety but subjecting the players to short week Thursday games every week

complete bullshit on both counts
Yup...

"we'll fine your ass up one way and down the other if you hit someone in the head..."

right next to

"4 days rest is more than enough between games..."
malk
Head Coach

Padding needs to be reduced and then an extra couple of games would be fine.

Well, that and increasing practice and development time, the latter preferably through a development league.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)