FINALLY...I'm coming to Chicago

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wrightk2
Rookie

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by posting this (long time lurker, 1st post). Been a Bears fan all my life (49 years), I live in VA, today I get the chance to come to Chicago on 9/29 (Tampa game). I am literally going from the airport to the stadium (wife not going, she's going to hotel). Since I have no clue what I'm doing, thought I would ask a couple questions, hoping someone could provide some insight, so I won't be totally lost:

1. If anyone would like to welcome a Virginian into their tailgate, I would love to meet some of you. Not trying to be weird, just trying to find some people to drink some brews with before the game, since I'm flying solo.

2. After the game, my hotel is like 3 miles from the Stadium (Magnificent Mile area). Thinking about walking towards the hotel, get away from the chaos, then call a Uber or something. I guess my question is, is that a good idea and is it fairly safe to walk a little ways from the Stadium, towards the Magnificent Mile area? I am open for suggestions.

3. Pizza: I know it's debatable, but I only have 3 days and I want to just try the deep dish Chicago style once in my life. Give me 1 place to go.

4. Hey, if anyone wants to recommend some bars, restaurants, tourist stuff, I will certainly listen because I will have nothing to do during the day (wife is at a conference).

I enjoy this forum, love reading all things BEARS. Super stoked to finally visit the great city of Chicago.

BEAR DOWN
IotaNet
MVP

wrightk2 wrote:3. Pizza: I know it's debatable, but I only have 3 days and I want to just try the deep dish Chicago style once in my life. Give me 1 place to go ...
This is just one man's opinion but as a lifelong Chicagoan, I consider deep-dish pizza to be "TOURIST" pizza. As far as I'm concerned, real, authentic, Chicago pizza is thin crust ... from some Italian joint.

Get thee to Connie's, Home Run Inn, or even Beggars.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bear Down
Rookie

I am from Cali and been to over 20 games...

Game day, take transportation to Hilton and take the walk with all the fans towards the stadium, its a pretty awesome experience. Enjoy the fans and tailgates, pretty fun to be part of the festivities.

Food I've enjoyed during trips.. Smith & Wolinskys , Chop House, Grand Luxe Café (window seat looking at Mag Mile)

Venues- Blue Chicago (small jazz/blues club, intimate ) Red headed Piano bar, Mothers, some spots on Rush and division, Cubby Bear if the cubs are playing, pretty fun in there.

So much to do and explore, hope you are there for at least 4 days...
IotaNet
MVP

Bear Down wrote: ... Chop House ...
Cannot go wrong here. The Chicago Chop House is one of the best in the business. Just bring your appetite and your wallet. https://chicagochophouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pizza - you will get many opinions, but Pequods for Chicago style in my choice anymore. I have had Ginos East, Lou Malnatis and Giordanos, love them all, but come October when back in town, it is Pequods.

The Saturday Night Live Exhibit is at the Museum of Broadcast Communications - heard it was awesome.

Definitely walk to and from the game. 3 miles is not bad and the conversations and sights will be worth it - it will enhance the experience.

Whenever I am in Chitown we walk the Mag Mile, hit the Blackhawk store. Try to hit Buddy Guy's as well.

Have a great time and you will have to let us know how things went.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I feel like The Billy Goat Tavern is a must see if you've never been to Chicago. It's cool to see the place that inspired the SNL Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger skit. I think the "Da Bears" skit was also inspired by that place.

For pizza, I like Lou Malnati's.
Richie
MVP

More than safe to walk towards the Magnificent Mile after a Bears game. Very safe touristy friendly area.

Good luck getting an Uber in the aftermath of a Bears game, though. You may as well just trek it. By the time you get to a point where it's a possibility, you're far enough along where you should just continue walking. Just enjoy the walk through the city. Take it in. Again, it's a good area to walk in.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

If you’re looking for things to do, there is no shortage of places and events in town. Chicago is the best city.

If you like art you have to walk through the Chicago Art Institute which is right on Michigan Ave. which isn’t far from the stadium and probably close to your hotel if you’re on the Miracle Mile. Nearby is the trippy outdoor ‘Bean’ sculpture and Millennium Park.

Check the listings for The House of Blues and see who’s coming in town during your visit. It’s not far away. If you Google ‘ Songkick Chicago’ you can see what bands are coming to town.

I tell everyone who has never been to take The Chicago Architectural Boat Tour. It’s a couple hours, has booze available and is a great way to see the city. Afterwards go up to the bar/restaurant near the top of the Trump Tower and take in the incredible views or go walk around Navy Pier.

If you are into theater/plays there is a downtown ‘Hot Tix’ location that offers discounted tickets on shows around town.

Chop House is a great recommendation. I’ll add Au Chèvre as one of the best burger bars in town. Lou Malnatis or Giordano’s for excellent deep dish pizza. If you like breweries I recommend Goose Island, Revolution or Hopleaf.

Take a trip up to the top floor of the John Hancock building and do some shopping around the Water Tower

Prepare yourself for a great time.
wrightk2
Rookie

Thanks for these suggestions, greatly appreciate it. Can't wait!!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Agree with most of whats been said here already, even the boat architecture tour which I also highly recommend. You get it right from the Navy Pier, totally worth it. It's also the best way to get to and from Soldier Field IMO, there's a ferry from Navy Pier that takes you to Soldier field and back. Otherwise it's kind of a mess, especially after the game, trying to get back to where you need to be.

https://tickets.shorelinesightseeing.com/webstore/shop/viewItems.aspx?cg=1&c=Bears1

Regarding the most important element - PIZZA. Dude, it's GINO'S EAST. Especially where you are staying, you could probably walk to it. It has ambiance, super cool spot, and the pizza is OFF THE HOOK- best sauce I've ever had hands down. Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are great, don't get me wrong, but they are chain restaurants. Gino's is something you'll never forget, I absolutely guarantee it.

I'm from Maryland BTW and come out once a year for a game, you are going to have a blast congrats!!! I'll be at the Seattle game this Monday, and eating at Gino's sunday night.
G08
Hall of Famer

wrightk2 wrote:I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by posting this (long time lurker, 1st post). Been a Bears fan all my life (49 years), I live in VA, today I get the chance to come to Chicago on 9/29 (Tampa game). I am literally going from the airport to the stadium (wife not going, she's going to hotel). Since I have no clue what I'm doing, thought I would ask a couple questions, hoping someone could provide some insight, so I won't be totally lost:

1. If anyone would like to welcome a Virginian into their tailgate, I would love to meet some of you. Not trying to be weird, just trying to find some people to drink some brews with before the game, since I'm flying solo.

2. After the game, my hotel is like 3 miles from the Stadium (Magnificent Mile area). Thinking about walking towards the hotel, get away from the chaos, then call a Uber or something. I guess my question is, is that a good idea and is it fairly safe to walk a little ways from the Stadium, towards the Magnificent Mile area? I am open for suggestions.

3. Pizza: I know it's debatable, but I only have 3 days and I want to just try the deep dish Chicago style once in my life. Give me 1 place to go.

4. Hey, if anyone wants to recommend some bars, restaurants, tourist stuff, I will certainly listen because I will have nothing to do during the day (wife is at a conference).

I enjoy this forum, love reading all things BEARS. Super stoked to finally visit the great city of Chicago.

BEAR DOWN
*cracks knuckles*

In the area you are staying, Flo and Santos thin crust pizza is outstanding
Pequod's (deep dish) is the best in the city, IMO
Pete's Pizza and D'Agostinos are also solid thin crust options

Where you are located, there's a place called Scout that gets pretty packed for Bears games, but if you can sneak in a footlong grilled cheese with bacon and jalapeno, your belly will thank you. Hot waitresses to boot and they make, surprisingly, a solid Old Fashioned.

Easiest shot for you, if I'm not mistaken, is getting to Michigan Ave or State St and Roosevelt and walking the rest of the way. Traffic will be a bitch.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS